Granite Another diff oil question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey everyone I recently changed my chassis and had the diffs out and greased Em(they were dry) as well as applying blue loctite to various places I've seen recommended on here and youtube but I didn't have any diff fluid at the time, so didn't open Em up, I have seen a few people using 60k front and 30k rear so ordered some but have seen a few posts suggesting that thicker oil can cause premature failure of the motor, esc or driveshafts? Has anyone any info on this oil set up or oil setups? Thanks

Hey everyone I recently changed my chassis and had the diffs out and greased Em(they were dry) as well as applying blue loctite to various places I've seen recommended on here and youtube but I didn't have any diff fluid at the time, so didn't open Em up, I have seen a few people using 60k front and 30k rear so ordered some but have seen a few posts suggesting that thicker oil can cause premature failure of the motor, esc or driveshafts? Has anyone any info on this oil set up or oil setups? Thanks
Did mine the other day filled with 10k but that’s in a senton, still a 4x4 blk but not sure what the granite is stock I’d assume the same? I think changing weight will change characteristic of car the way it shifts power. I’m sure more Knowledgeable folk will chime in!

The diffs allow the wheels to spin at different speeds. Thinner fluid allows the wheels to spin at different speeds more easily. In general this allows for quicker turning. Thicker fluid makes the two front wheels (front differential) or two rear wheels (rear differential) spin at closer to the same speed. In general this is better for straight line power.

Thicker front fluid will reduce spinning/sliding going into turns, thicker rear fluid will reduce spinning/sliding when coming out of turns. But a little spin/slide is sometimes desirable. For example if you love sliding/spinning, kicking the back end around you want to keep the fluid thinner. If you're spinning/sliding too much all the time, thicker fluid will help.

I also read thicker fluid can strain parts. Because the wheels are forced to spin at the same speed, it may not allow a wheel that is meeting resistance to slow down to reduce strain. I tried 20/20 and liked it, it reduced excessive wheel spin with my worn down tires. But once I read it may make driveshafts pop more easily I went back to 10/10. Durability is more important to me. I'm ramp jumping, not track racing and I hate popping driveshafts.

If you're looking for different performance characteristics, go ahead and try heavier diff fluid and see if you like it. If you find driveshafts start popping, you may have to find a balance between preferred performance and durability.

Last edited:
The weight of the fluid also depends on the size of your car and the amount of power you have to push it. Kind of a mass x force sort of thing but I'm no scientist so I have no clue lol. I'm guessing you have the stock 3s power plant in it. I would put in 12k in the front and 10k in the rear of my typhon 3s (wish I never sold it). With the larger tires and more weight I would go with maybe a 30k F 25K rear. But since you've already have the 50k and 30k on the way it never hurts to try it. Once you take apart the diffs the 1st time it's pretty easy to do it after that. Another idea is that you can do the 30k in both the front and the rear.

FYI; Something I had to learn the hard way, never put locktite on plastic. Only use it on the metal parts which I know there isn't a lot of on the 3s blx platforms. The loctite will dry out the plastic and crack it. I ruined a motor mount housing that way.

Hope this helps and happy wrenching man!! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back