Granite Another ESC problem - intermittent lack of throttle response, both green and red lights on ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRC

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Just put in a new BLX100 after the wire snapped on the last one. Sometimes when I press the throttle, I don't get any response. It seems to happen when I use very light throttle. When this happens I get both a green and red light from the ESC. Even if I continue to fully pull on the throttle, still no response. Sometimes there's a delayed response. It all of a sudden goes. I tried recalibrating the ESC and my controller. Bad ESC? I'm assuming so since that's the only thing that has changed. EDIT- has to be the ESC. I tried a different receiver, motor, battery, same thing. ARGH, 3 ESC's in a little over a month.

Last edited:
Just put in a new BLX100 after the wire snapped on the last one. Sometimes when I press the throttle, I don't get any response. It seems to happen when I use very light throttle. When this happens I get both a green and red light from the ESC. Even if I continue to fully pull on the throttle, still no response. Sometimes there's a delayed response. It all of a sudden goes. I tried recalibrating the ESC and my controller. Bad ESC? I'm assuming so since that's the only thing that has changed. EDIT- has to be the ESC. I tried a different receiver, motor, battery, same thing. ARGH, 3 ESC's in a little over a month.
How long did the first ESC last?

Show us a picture of the dials on your radio.

I have a DX5, no dials. I already recalibrated the ESC and the transmitter. I checked all the transmitter settings that might cause this. Throttle trim, calibration, exponential, etc. There's still a chance it's a transmitter malfunction. I've switched everything else out, but I don't have a second transmitter to test. But since I just changed the ESC and started having this problem, I have a feeling it's the ESC. New ESC on the way, we'll see.

Last edited:
Try this
I have a DX5. I already recalibrated the ESC and the receiver. I checked all the transmitter settings that might caused this. Throttle trim, calibration, exponential, etc. There's still a chance it's a transmitter malfunction. I've switched everything else out, but I don't have a second transmitter to test. But since I just changed the ESC and started having this problem, I have a feeling it's the ESC.

How long did the first ESC last?
6 months before one of the wires tore apart.
Thanks, but it didn't work. My problem is not the same. I don't have the green flashing light. I usually get normal throttle. Intermittently, I get no throttle or delayed throttle. When this happens, I see both a red and green light come on when I hit the throttle, so it's picking up some sort of signal when I hit the throttle but not giving me any actual throttle output. When it works properly, I get the red light that you would normally see when using the throttle.

Last edited:
6 months before one of the wires tore apart.

Thanks, but it didn't work. My problem is not the same. I don't have the green flashing light. I usually get normal throttle. Intermittently, I get no throttle or delayed throttle. When this happens, I see both a red and green light come on when I hit the throttle, so it's picking up some sort of signal when I hit the throttle but not giving me any actual throttle output. When it works properly, I get the red light that you would normally see when using the throttle.
Did you go trought water?
Hapenned to me once but went back to normal once the snow dried out but the esc stinks

No water, noticed the problem immediately within a minute of running this new ESC. (I avoid water, it caused temporary malfunction in my receiver twice)
It's so weird hearing your own voice recorded by an outside source.

Last edited:
I have a DX5, no dials. I already recalibrated the ESC and the transmitter. I checked all the transmitter settings that might cause this. Throttle trim, calibration, exponential, etc. There's still a chance it's a transmitter malfunction. I've switched everything else out, but I don't have a second transmitter to test. But since I just changed the ESC and started having this problem, I have a feeling it's the ESC. New ESC on the way, we'll see.

Did you set throttle trim to 0 and throttle end points forward/brake (travel) to 100% before you calibrated the ESC?

Did you set throttle trim to 0 and throttle end points forward/brake (travel) to 100% before you calibrated the ESC?
Yes. that's one of the first things I checked. I never adjusted them, but I did double check. I also tried resetting all transmitter settings, resetting the ESC, re-binding, etc. Even disconnected the motor fan and servo. (I've had a frayed motor fan wire cause the ESC to malfunction). Tried every combination that might affect throttle response. Still the same problem. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty ESC. I have a backup receiver, motor, battery. The only parts I can't test with backup are the ESC and transmitter. It's possible my transmitter coincidentally happened to start glitching at the same time I replaced the ESC. But the transmitter was working fine before I replaced the ESC. Also, the fact that the ESC is showing a green AND red light when I hit the throttle seems to indicate the transmitter is sending a signal, the ESC is just not responding reliably.

Last edited:
Yes. I that's one of the first things I checked. I never adjusted them, but I did double check. I also tried resetting all transmitter settings, resetting the ESC, re-binding, etc. Even disconnected the motor fan and servo. (I've had a frayed motor fan wire cause the ESC to malfunction). Tried every combination that might affect throttle response. Still the same problem. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty ESC. I have a backup receiver, motor, battery. The only parts I can't test with backup are the ESC and transmitter. It's possible my transmitter coincidentally happened to start glitching at the same time I replaced the ESC. But the transmitter was working fine before I replaced the ESC. Also, the fact that the ESC is showing a green AND red light when I hit the throttle seems to indicate the transmitter is sending a signal, the ESC is just not responding reliably.
Did you factory reset? Do that a couple of times

This is what the Hobbywing manual says for the SCT Pro which I think is what the BLX100 is based off of:
http://www.hobbywing.com/products/enpdf/XeRunSCTPRO.pdf

Check The LED StatusInNormal Running
►When the throttle stick is in the neutral range, neither the Red LED nor the Green LED lights up.
►When the car moves forward, the Red LED solidly lights; the Green LED also lights up when the throttle stick is at the top position (100% throttle).
►When the car brakes, the Red LED solidly lights; the Green LED also lights up when the throttle stick is at the bottom position and the maximum brake force is set to 100%.
►When the car reverses, the Red LED solidly lights; the Green LED also lights up when the throttle stick is at the bottom position and the maximum reverse force is set to 100%.

IMO, it looks like a signalling problem where the ESC is occasionally getting a weird signal, probably going from 0% to full throttle instantly. You can see it doing nothing or barely moving and then the delay when it tries to launch the motor to full throttle and you see the green/red which the manual says it's at full thottle. I'd check the pins/connectors on the plugs to the receiver. You can also look at the bar meters on your radio to make sure it's sending the signal cleanly, it will tell you what the throttle position is at when you pull the trigger.

Since you are waiting on a new ESC anyway. Check if your TX/RX have any issues. Plug the steering servo into the throttle channel and see if there is any hesitation.

Since you are waiting on a new ESC anyway. Check if your TX/RX have any issues. Plug the steering servo into the throttle channel and see if there is any hesitation.
I already tried with a different receiver, same problem. So it's not the receiver. The only other possibility is a problem with the transmitter. I checked all transmitter settings and even reset the transmitter. Same problem. Like I said, there's a chance the transmitter is not sending a consistent signal, but it seems unlikely. It was not having any problems before installing this new ESC. Also, the fact that the ESC shows both a red and green light when the problem happens shows it is receiving a signal.
This is what the Hobbywing manual says for the SCT Pro which I think is what the BLX100 is based off of:
http://www.hobbywing.com/products/enpdf/XeRunSCTPRO.pdf

Check The LED StatusInNormal Running
►When the throttle stick is in the neutral range, neither the Red LED nor the Green LED lights up.
►When the car moves forward, the Red LED solidly lights; the Green LED also lights up when the throttle stick is at the top position (100% throttle).
►When the car brakes, the Red LED solidly lights; the Green LED also lights up when the throttle stick is at the bottom position and the maximum brake force is set to 100%.
►When the car reverses, the Red LED solidly lights; the Green LED also lights up when the throttle stick is at the bottom position and the maximum reverse force is set to 100%.

IMO, it looks like a signalling problem where the ESC is occasionally getting a weird signal, probably going from 0% to full throttle instantly. You can see it doing nothing or barely moving and then the delay when it tries to launch the motor to full throttle and you see the green/red which the manual says it's at full thottle. I'd check the pins/connectors on the plugs to the receiver. You can also look at the bar meters on your radio to make sure it's sending the signal cleanly, it will tell you what the throttle position is at when you pull the trigger.
I get both the green and red at full forward throttle and full brake as the manual says it should. The BLX doesn't allow 100% reverse, so I can't test that. When the throttle works properly, I get the lights the manual says it should. The DX5 transmitter's bar meters are showing consistent response. We'll see if a new ESC fixes it.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back