Another Fix for Ballooning tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbhawx

Active Military
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
I absolutely love the trenchers on my K8S but the ballooning is ridiculous. I’m not a fan of the idea of putting fishing string on the exterior of the tire, so I tried something different.

I took a tire off to test the theory and it worked out so well I’ll have to go through the pain stacking process for the remaining three tires. Pain stacking because it’s 40 stupid screws per tire...

what I did was remove the tire. Turn it inside out and duct taped the inside of the tire. Only one wrap of duct tape was sufficient.
Here is a vid for proof.

Taping tires has been around for years, we did it in the nitro days and it does work.

Taping tires has been around for years, we did it in the nitro days and it does work.

I’ve heard of it before, but wasn’t sure how well it would work with the trenchers. I’m glad to see it works for them.

I’ve heard of it before, but wasn’t sure how well it would work with the trenchers. I’m glad to see it works for them.
Your vid is living proof it works! ?

I never understood how the tape stayed taped... so I never did it. The most I'd do was tape my foams, which helped, but didn't eliminate it. Then again, that was nitro days and I was probably topping out at 35mph... so wasn't a big issue anyway.

I never understood how the tape stayed taped... so I never did it. The most I'd do was tape my foams, which helped, but didn't eliminate it. Then again, that was nitro days and I was probably topping out at 35mph... so wasn't a big issue anyway.
We did it to all our jatos and nitro rustlers with roadrage tires on road. These cars were running 65 mph or so with TRX 3.3 and OS engines. It made a big difference in balooning.

I knew a lot of people did it, I just never had a car that went fast enough to bother until now. When my jato was nitro, I ran 1/8th buggy wheels/tires on it and I probably had it geared to hit 40mph at most. I had mine jacked up in the air for jumping... still do, but now it's electric. lol!

2019-0211-eJato-Dubro2319Rear-side.jpg

Still geared to run around 40mph on 3S. The trencher 2.8's don't balloon too bad... some, enough to allow for back flips. :)

Last edited:
I knew a lot of people did it, I just never had a car that went fast enough to bother until now. When my jato was nitro, I ran 1/8th buggy wheels/tires on it and I probably had it geared to hit 40mph at most. I had mine jacked up in the air for jumping... still do, but now it's electric. lol!

2019-0211-eJato-Dubro2319Rear-side.jpg

2019-0211-eJato-Dubro2319Rear-rear.jpg

Still geared to run around 40mph on 3S. The trencher 2.8's don't balloon too bad... some, enough to allow for back flips. :)
I still have 3 jatos and 2 VXL Rustlers. Our click always run them on concrete shopping malls to race and bash. Never took them offroad, have a couple Maxx trucks for that. These stadium trucks geared right are plenty fast. Some today say nitro is/was slow, but that is definitely not true, these jatos are as quick if not more than the Rustlers.
20200228_033947.jpg

I taped the inside of the tire instead of the foam. I thought about tapping the foam, but didn’t think it would do much. I wasn’t looking forward to 160 screws if it didn’t work, so I did just one. I have since did the other three, but I found a broke pin on the rear arm, so I got to get a new hinge pin before I can see the full benefits of non-ballooning tires lol.

609B7FE5-AE1E-4DF8-B829-FBE877C83FA9.jpeg

Looks like crap, but looks a lot better once flipped back correctly.
C871EC17-8549-4CC7-9037-AF2A890CC49E.jpeg

Very cool video and super clear pics... Looks like you're in for a great result!!

Did you literally but the tape up, so no overweight at an overlap?
Also is that the extra wide duct tape?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back