Granite Another Granite Mega brushless conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skev

Reaction score
I need help. I've been reading so much my eyes are practically bleeding.

My son has the latest version Granite Mega 550 4x4, brushed motor burned up. Upgrading to this motor/ESC combo: Castle Creations Sidewinder 12v ESC & 5mm shaft 1410-3800Kv sensored motor. Already ordered and in the mail, so please don't tell me I ordered the wrong thing.

Not changing anything else unless it gets broken after the install.

My main question is, will the OEM pinion gear work with this motor? Haven't received order in mail yet and I'm just thinking of ordering new gear if HIGHLY recommended for whatever reason (please specify). This way, I can install all at once and get the kiddos car back up and running.

Thanks in advance!!!

You are going to need a couple of things.

3s motor mount
3s slipper clutch with around a 12-14 tooth pinion. I recommend you get a fan because 3800kv is a little on the high side. Not that it won't work but it could get toasty. Also, the slipper is a 0.8 mod so you can get a 32 pitch or 0.8 mod gear. Both are compatible. Order the slipper from jennysrc.com. The tock pinion wont work due to the new motor having a 5mm shaft

You could also run it on 2s or 3s batterie. 2s would keep the heat Down till or if you get a fan. Depends on what batteries you have are getting.
I don’t think you need to change the motor mount or slipper clutch, it looks like the same as the 3s version on arrma’s website. I may be incorrect but check it out to be sure. is my advice

Lol thanks guys. And don't take this out of context, I appreciate the advice I do and that's why I posted for help. The pinion is my biggest concern. Uncertain what the spec is on the OEM, shaft diameter not tooth count. Haven't torn it apart yet. Will do when motor and esc arrive.
Running 2s BTW, should have mentioned that. Don't own any 3s batteries (yet).

But this is why my eyes are bleeding. I don't want to replace parts if they'll function as-is i.e. motor mount, drive shafts, diffs, bearings, etc. Yeah, may not be how you would do it if it were you're "build". But this is my sons and it's not a "build", it's a get it running and tinker toy. I'm not looking for indestructibility. I got a 10 year old kid running this thing here and there, not daily and not extreme bashing and jumping it 30 foot in the air. Also, he's not diehard into the hobby. I just need it to roll on concrete and short grass when he wants to run it. Again, I appreciate the help so please don't take all the above as mean, I'm getting frustrated because I can't seem to find a straight answer on the pinion. If the spur, slipper clutch, or anything else burns up after the fact, I'll replace it then and not a moment sooner if it will work with what I've got. Catching my drift?

Robinson racing makes a 17btooth 5mm 48p pinion. I am currently running it in my brushless swapped Typhon. I still run nimh batteries though. If your going to run 3s then the slipper upgrade may be needed.

Yes, you will need a new slipper assembly eventually, maybe within minutes. We did the same upgrade not for performance but because the brushed motor is trash. We just did the full upgrade rather than keep fighting it. The power difference is astonishing. I did find a 48P 5mm pinion to use with the Mega slipper and spur, but dismissed that idea quickly. If you keep the same slipper and change the pinion to the 0.8, you will have to change the spur gear to mesh correctly with your 0.8 pinion. Just from my limited experience not changing everything to 3s BLX parts will be a continued pain and expense. Drop the extra $40 on the slipper and enjoy the car.

This is what I replaced and it works great.
Motor
ESC
15T 5mm 0.8 pinion
stock BLX slipper assembly
stock BLX motor mount

Everything past that in the drivetrain is the same as the BLX if it's a V3 Mega.

Yes, you will need a new slipper assembly eventually, maybe within minutes. We did the same upgrade not for performance but because the brushed motor is trash. We just did the full upgrade rather than keep fighting it. The power difference is astonishing. I did find a 48P 5mm pinion to use with the Mega slipper and spur, but dismissed that idea quickly. If you keep the same slipper and change the pinion to the 0.8, you will have to change the spur gear to mesh correctly with your 0.8 pinion. Just from my limited experience not changing everything to 3s BLX parts will be a continued pain and expense. Drop the extra $40 on the slipper and enjoy the car.

Motor
ESC
15T 5mm 0.8 pinion
stock BLX motor mount

Everything past that in the drivetrain is the same as the BLX if it's a V3 Mega.
Agree 100%. Change the slipper and motor mount now and avoid the headaches.

Just did what you're about to do.. if you're running 2s, get a 13t 48p 5mm pinion and you'll be fine, it'll keep the heat down and and help with take off torque. The only thing I would highly recommend is the metal 3s motor plate, the plastic stock one won't like the weight of the new, physically bigger motor and will lose mesh real quick, ask me how I know lol... otherwise, everything else will live just fine on 2s

Not sure how mine is still alive but it will pull and keep a wheelie for days.

Be sure to lubricate the plastic collar on the 48p slipper or it will fuse to the spur gear, ask me how I know 😉.

You will also need to crank down on the slipper nut quite a bit, it really wasn't designed for this kind of power and you don't want excess slippage... I also try to run a tigher mesh with 48p (not touching but as close as you can get).

Good luck!

20220520_093839.jpg

Motor
ESC
15T 5mm 0.8 pinion
stock BLX motor mount

Pinion, slipper, and aluminum motor mount for $40? Send me a link and I'll buy it now. Asking because the slipper/spur alone is $45 on Jennysrc.

The consensus seems to be that the items in the below links are more or less bare essentials for the kid if he wants to turn it on and have a good time without it more than likely breaking as soon as I put the Castle motor in? Am I missing anything?
Also curious, is there a motor mount out there that has set mounting holes for different gear ratios that basically sets the appropriate mesh dead on when you mount the motor? Just curiously asking.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...on-gear-15t-0-8mod-5mm-shaft-senton-ara4302v3

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ar-slipper-clutch-assembly-hd-57t-ara4302v3-1

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...m-red-mount-motor-fan-senton-typhon-ara4302v3

Read again.

"Drop the extra $40 on the slipper and enjoy the car."

The new mount is adjustable, so if you change gears you can set it. The common method involves putting receipt paper between the gears then tightening.

Read again.

"Drop the extra $40 on the slipper and enjoy the car."

The new mount is adjustable, so if you change gears you can set it. The common method involves putting receipt paper between the gears then tightening.
Lol I'm goin fricken blind. Sorry

Here we go again....another Mega conversion.:rolleyes:
Spare the grief and more coin. Just buy a 3s 4x4 and add it to your collection. But seems you are in over your head already...:unsure:
3s 4x4 is what you really needed out the gate. You will thank me later. So will your wallet.
Those 4x4's will beat you up on a good day. Whether Mega or 3s Blx variants.
Upgrade to a 6s rig. Run it on 3s or 4s. It will be future proof and way more durable with less out the box issues that Arrma failed to address with the 4x4 platform.
My spin.

Last edited:
You all are talking me into just buying the stuff. So I don't blow money, can anyone confirm the parts listed would be enough to handle the motor? I wanna buy today.

Side note..the fact that my brother in law passed away last night..... really makes me realize life is way too short, I'ma buy the goods and tell my son to give her hell once we install all the parts. Grip it and rip it till she breaks something. Don't care. We'll buy more parts.

Hope everyone has a blessed weekend. Thanks for all the help and I'm sincerely sorry if I cam.eoff with attitude. I have difficulty with words when I'm feeling defeated.

Last edited:
We have already told you the right way to do it. Brushless motor/ ESC combo, 48p pinion gear with 5mm shaft, aluminum adjustable motor mount. That's the cheapest way to do it. The stock plastic motor mount will not handle the weight of the brushless motor and will strip your spur gear.

Now, to do it the correct way you also need the BLX slipper clutch setup and a 32p/0.8mod pinion gear with a 5mm shaft.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back