Another new member of the family. Simrex A321 (WLToys A959). So much fun for under $60 (had 20% coupon at the time)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
This is an edited post from a different model I returned due to issues I was having. Was the Haiboxing Hailstorm thread initially. Returned that and got the Simrex A321 which is a rebrand of the WLToys 959.

Anyway after deciding to return the Hailstorm due to issues I was having I decided to get a WLToys A959. I found the Simrex A321 for 69.99 with a 20% off coupon. So it was about $56 with free Prime one day shipping. Quite a deal. I also bought some Hobbypark aluminum shocks as well for $20. I am quite surprised at how well these shocks work. Filled them up and they work perfect. No leaks at all and the suspension is SO MUCH better than the plastic spring ones it comes with.

Another thing that is WAY better than the Hailstorm is the radio this comes with. Its built and feels so much better. I knew what it looked like from the pics but was surprised at how much better it felt. It has adjustable throttle and steering rates, foam wheel, and some heft to it. Just overall much better.

And even though this is the 380 motor and not the larger A959B 540 size it is quick!! I know anything this small seems faster than it is but I was surprised. And it actually stays straight once the trim is adjusted. And it is also super quiet which is why I went with the 380 size instead of getting another one with the 540. The 144001 is a bit louder and I like something to drive up and down the block at night, and the Simrex is whisper quiet. Thankfully I already had 2 other 2s Lipos for it from when I got the Hailstorm, and if I swap out the connectors to the XT60s that I am using for the 144001 Ill have 4 batteries that will fit.

The only issue I had was a couple times it felt like I lost a bit of control. The way it comes out of the box is with a 2" long antenna tube and it was bent because there was nowhere for it to go since the body didnt have a hole for it. Initially I had just removed the tube and ran the wire the same way it is in the 144001 without a tube, but thats when I had the issue. So I got a slightly longer tube and reamed out a hole for it. Not sure if that was the issue or not. Whats weird is that this didnt happen until I had ran it for about 10 minutes and the battery was lower. Never had that happen before where the battery being low caused any loss of control, but that might have been related to it also.

The next planned upgrades are LEDs to run at night, street tires, adjustable turnbuckles and steering linkage, and probably bearings. Might get LEDs for the 144001 as well. Anyway heres some pics.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Last edited:
After the issues I had where I would lose control when it was only like 50 feet away Amazon sent another one and it did the exact same thing. I tried everything I could think of and did get it to improve by extending the antenna to its max, but it would still lose control. So I gave up and shipped both back. I might get a real WLToys A959b next. But for now my 144001 is my only small scale car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back