Another noisy Kraton question, What's going on here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primarrma

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
I've just spent the whole day rebuilding this car some parts three times, what am I missing? I just rebuilt and shimmed all the diffs, checked the motor bearings, drive cups/outdrives, even replaced the diff cup in the center, all to get rid of this sound. It is now worsening. At least it will probably fail completely soon, then I'll know where the noise is coming from.

Sounds like your rear or front diff skipping teeth against the pinion gear. If you accelerate hard from a standstill does it click as well?

Sounds like your rear or front diff skipping teeth against the pinion gear. If you accelerate hard from a standstill does it click as well?
Yeah it does, one thing I just started thinking, I didn't recheck the bearings in the gearbox cases, maybe the pinion bearing is gone, I replaced them a week or so ago, but I was driving on a lot of dust lately.

Thanks for your help, I'll see if I can get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

Last edited:
It does do it from a stand still, does that mean it's more likely the rear? How do I tighten this mesh, I've already got four shims on the spur gear side, if it's not a bad bearing I'm replace the gearbox housing.

It does do it from a stand still, does that mean it's more likely the rear? How do I tighten this mesh, I've already got four shims on the spur gear side, if it's not a bad bearing I'm replace the gearbox housing.
You have 4 shims over the cup that is on the left side if the diff?

It's without a doubt something gear related. That being something where teeth mesh together. So you will have to narrow it to one of the diffs.

Was the sound there before you shimmed your diff cup?
Yeah, so I thought it was time to rebuild them, but it must be something else. I noticed it the last few minutes I was driving the other day, and even after rebuilding the diffs it has just got worse and worse.

Your bulkhead might be cracked. 4 is a lot of shims.
I found the issue you were right bicketybam it was the pinion in the gearbox, though why it failed has got me beat, I can't see anything wrong with the gearbox case or the bearings? I'll swap the gearbox case though as I have a brand new one ready to go. At least the spur gear looks ok so it is only the pinion to replace.
Thanks for your help again.

Last edited:
That pinion gear looks bad. Good choice on replacing the gear box. You shouldn't be able to out 4 shims in there. 3 max.
I might need a new type of bearing they seem to not fit as tight as the fast eddies or the stock ones. I could only get 3 in with the new case.

All fixed up, thanks everyone. Rebuilt now and it is all tightened up, hopefully bulletproof too. It is a little noisy because the diffs are so tight, but that will bed in after a few runs, I hope.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back