Another Noob Software Question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjim

Old And In The Way!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Senton 6s
Hi, guys...

Just wondering if there was any software that could take a photograph as an input, and allow you to scale it. Once that was done you could print out a scale copy of the original part.

I had mag wheels in mind, but it might be useful for other things.

A 3D scanner is totally out of the budget for me.

Maybe we could get Jay Leno to do it for us. He's got the latest-and-greatest in 3D scanning and printing gear.....

Tinkercad has that ability though there is alot of steps to get there.

You would basically take a flat 2d image, do some processing on it, and then import to tinkercad and create a 3d model out of it. I used to do that alot before I finally got a good set of (5) calipers and now I just measure and model.

But it can be done. > Tinkercad tutorial <

Hi, guys...

Just wondering if there was any software that could take a photograph as an input, and allow you to scale it. Once that was done you could print out a scale copy of the original part.

I had mag wheels in mind, but it might be useful for other things.

A 3D scanner is totally out of the budget for me.

Maybe we could get Jay Leno to do it for us. He's got the latest-and-greatest in 3D scanning and printing gear.....

yes there are many, but they always leave you with alot of work.. the mesh is never a solid and will need missing areas filled back in to make it manifold..

if you use fusion 360 you can take a picture, scale it to the size needed and copy (trace it).. assuming you just want the face /hub (spoke area) ...

yes there are many, but they always leave you with alot of work.. the mesh is never a solid and will need missing areas filled back in to make it manifold..

if you use fusion 360 you can take a picture, scale it to the size needed and copy (trace it).. assuming you just want the face /hub (spoke area) ...

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. I'd like to be able to "clone" a different center into an existing wheel design.

I wonder if it might just be easier to take the existing wheel file and modify the center.

So much to learn, so little time.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back