Another Reason to dislike Traxxas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess what guy..... Traxass has NOTHING to do with why I'm in this hobby.... I started with a kyosho raider in the mid to late 80's. I guess I'm the 2%.

I think I began by saying I wasn’t in the hobby due to them either.... now let’s take a count of how many 80s RC enthusiasts we have in here, probably not too many. My first car was a Kyosho Optima... guy.

You know what, why even try to help people understand this hobby and how the business side of things take place.. my fault. Rah rah F Traxxas!

Oh wait.... you guys like your waterproof electronics right? What about brushless RTR? What about a nitro starter box? What about the Arrma senton? What about the monster Truggy? Didn’t Traxxas like begin that? Man, they did nothing for your RTR hobby enjoyment, only invented it. This is a small hobby, there’s no room to blatantly hate any company or anyone and if we don’t change this “this company sucks” attitude then it’s all doomed. It begins and ends with us

Like I said, Traxxas is at the point that they really don’t need the hobby. They are mega rich, have intelligent people at the helm, and if you think they are going out of business then its obvious why you aren’t in business. They are so financially stable that they could buy horizon hobby faster than you can sh-t after a sack of white castle.
Not to be obnoxious or a smart (you know what), but are referring to the owners not needing the hobby, or the company itself? Additionally, I am curious to know if Traxxas really does have the $$$ to buy Horizon Hobby faster than I can (take a sh-t). I went looking for annual revenue with no clear answers (Though I admit I only spent about 15 mins looking). I ask, because Horizon is a bigger company with more revenue streams/product lines I believe. Perhaps they are not a cash flow positive as Traxxas? Again, I am a computer engineer and only dabble in stocks, so I am not questioning your knowledge of finance, just wondering what the source is for this statement.

For what it is worth, I do not hate Traxxas and I agree with many of your points. I just do not agree with their business practices as they relate to competition. Though I do understand why they do it. I mean, if I was able to somehow get a patent for a paperclip, I guess I would be looking to capitalize on it :)

In the end, U.S. patent laws is what we should all really have a problem with IMO.

Not to be obnoxious or a smart (you know what), but are referring to the owners not needing the hobby, or the company itself? Additionally, I am curious to know if Traxxas really does have the $$$ to buy Horizon Hobby faster than I can (take a sh-t). I went looking for annual revenue with no clear answers (Though I admit I only spent about 15 mins looking). I ask, because Horizon is a bigger company with more revenue streams/product lines I believe. Perhaps they are not a cash flow positive as Traxxas? Again, I am a computer engineer and only dabble in stocks, so I am not questioning your knowledge of finance, just wondering what the source is for this statement.

For what it is worth, I do not hate Traxxas and I agree with many of your points. I just do not agree with their business practices as they relate to competition. Though I do understand why they do it. I mean, if I was able to somehow get a patent for a paperclip, I guess I would be looking to capitalize on it :)

In the end, U.S. patent laws is what we should all really have a problem with IMO.
No I don’t have their financial statements in front of me, but I know they are as healthy as any. Horizon may have many brands under their umbrella, but that does not equate to sales(think General Motors when it had 9 brands selling the same thing). Traxxas has limited product, utilizes platform/ electronics sharing/ and puts very little R&D effort in being that their products are usually long in the tooth. All of their main overhead goes into advertising. the fact that they are heavily involved in motor sport and other arenas has put their market share far above the competitors. They have teamed up with LEGO, nascar, corr, Baja, and other race sanctions. This is no Team Losi we are talking about here, this is a privately owned corporation that is run like a Fortune 500 company.

I fully agree with the fact that I don’t like them bullying the little guys, but like you said if you came up with a few great ideas, wouldn’t you protect them? Now... the in board shocks is very much NOT their invention. The Arrma lawsuit was and is a bit ridiculous, but again business is business and that took a product off the market. Traxxas doesn’t look at this like a small hobby, they always had bigger ideas and aspirations. You have to respect that, they didn’t sell, never went broke, never sacrificed growth for the opinion of elitist hobbyists.

The truth is, the juggernaut that they became had some bad side effects which was like any company that tries to introduce a product to a market that wasn’t aware of its existence. They ended up helping other brands sell their product. How many times have you stumbled upon a new tech gadget? Let’s say... a video door bell. Amazon had the advertisement for their “ring” bell and it was so good that you said cool, I need one! What do you do as a human? You see what OTHER companies make that product because you want the best one even though you never saw the other companies ad. If you buy the other product, you did so by Amazon introducing you as a lead, and you were sold on the idea of the product not the product itself. That is what Traxxas faces all the time, and them trying to eliminate online sales 3rd party means that they are hoping you won’t purchase say an Arrma from their marketing dollars.

It is logic 101, business 101, and you’re not supposed to like it because what suits you is in YOUR best interest, not the company interest. If every company that made products lost money to make you happy then no companies would exist so bottom line, as consumers grow up. Companies have to eat, and don’t be mad at the company that works 10x harder than the others to make it happen. Dog eat dog.

That said, I wish Traxxas or any RC brand would not take legal action on one other because I seriously worry about this hobby surviving. The point is... I don't want the only option to be Traxxas in 10 years because believe me, they aren’t going anywhere.

Edit: side note.. Arrma actually has a smart business model and they are a small company that has big potential. Jason Dearden the founder of the company is a former HPI employee and I can see HPI all over his ideas. A lot of you may not know this, but he was very instrumental with HPI European development and later on development with the Savage line. Arrma Raider XL= HPI Baja 5B inspired not by accident. He has always been about basher market. That is where the money is, racing is just for each company to measure cock size. RC racing is actually what sours people from the hobby if anything. Back to the point, Arrma platform shares between two lines of product and that is a lesson learned by the Traxxas business model. Don’t think Arrma didn’t go into this with Traxxas as the outline. Traxxas sees this and of course tries to eliminate the competition/ copy cat of a proven formula. The difference? Traxxas has NO CLUE what the people want because it feels that they can dictate what we want. Arrma is the polar opposite, they are very close to the community and are doing exactly what a small brand should. Arrma will be a large company one day if they can learn how to market their product. Unfortunately they mainly support very small YouTube outlets which is great. I love Rich Duperbash, and Thomas etc., but they need to get their product out to big names for big views.

One last thing.... a lot of you guys say “I never heard of Traxxas” cough cough bullish-t cough cough ?, but here is an example of Traxxas name recognition. I have an Instagram account where I posted up my BEAUTIFUL Arrma Kraton. If you are unaware it is all custom and stunning. Then I posted my fairly stock X Maxx and the X Maxx got 256 likes to date (48 hrs) and my Kraton has 73 likes to date (7 days). It’s all about name recognition.

Last edited:
My views on Traxxas weren't always bad. I don't hate them because I wanna be part of some bandwagon, their business practices, the poor quality of their product, the push for endless upgrades (I don't mean planned weak points to save more important parts from breaking), and their disconnect and disregard for their customers have made me dislike them more and more over the years. So Traxxas realized that newcomers would have been very intimidated by a kit vehicle that they had to separately acquire radio systems and took the idea of RTR to another level first, decided to dump more on advertising than anyone else, yea that's common sense that TV reaches more people than a catalog in the mail or a brick and motor location. Advertising and easy parts availability is the main reason Traxxas is what they are, that is just about the only thing they have gotten right. I have appreciated the amount of exposure they have brought to this hobby and have always felt other companies should be doing the same, I don't think they have the right to pitch a fit about people finding other r/c brands because of it, as you said, it's just what people are going to do. No, honest, I hadn't heard of Traxxas, you can call bs if you want, I don't care. Tamiya used to have commercials on TV way back when and I have a co-worker who's first r/c was a Blackfoot, then a Lunchbox, and finally a Clod Buster. Now he has an older 2wd Stampede, why? Because of advertising. As a business model they have grown but at what cost to us? Yea Hobbico was weak before the lawsuit for various reasons but don't you think that they would have been acquired/absorbed by Horizon without the proverbial nail in the coffin? Did they really have to come out and try to kick em while they were down? I think it speaks volumes about them not really giving a crap about the consumer or for that matter, the hobby itself. Just because they are "big enough" that they think they don't need the hobby, what a joke. They had better get their heads outta their butts and realize that without us (the consumer) they are NOTHING.
I seriously worry about this hobby surviving.
As do I and everyone else here.
You know what, why even try to help people understand this hobby and how the business side of things take place.. my fault. Rah rah F Traxxas!
Really ?
It begins and ends with us

Edit: For the record, this post is not intended to sound as angry as it came out.

Last edited:
@ScaleJunkie

Take no offense to anything I said that does not apply to you, or anyone for that matter.

You have to understand that any business is not in business to keep others in business. I know you know that. This hobby is just another business till the day these guys make RCs for free.

You may not see it this way, but our hobby is very over saturated given it’s small size and the hobby is killing itself way more than Traxxas is. If everyone cared about tomorrow they wouldn’t buy cheap china LiPos, chargers, tires, kits, or hop up parts. The hobby would down size again and the companies worth staying would reap more profit. If anything, I think China is doing more harm than Traxxas

I would actually care about Traxxas if they made a truck I actually wanted. But they don't. That's as much thought as I have given them. At one point I considered an Xmaxx until I saw a pile of broken ones at the hobby shop waiting to be fixed. And now that I have my Super Rock Rey, there is no way I would get an Xmaxx.

Tamiya used to have commercials on TV way back when and I have a co-worker who's first r/c was a Blackfoot, then a Lunchbox, and finally a Clod Buster.
I remember those commercials. As a destructive teen, i wanted a Clod Buster just to see what i could run over. It only took another 10 years to get one, and, by then, it didnt seem to have the same appeal. I had a Lunch Box for a very long time, but then swapped it for a Monster Beetle and a Hornet that i still have.

@ScaleJunkie
You may not see it this way, but our hobby is very over saturated given it’s small size and the hobby is killing itself way more than Traxxas is. If everyone cared about tomorrow they wouldn’t buy cheap china LiPos, chargers, tires, kits, or hop up parts. The hobby would down size again and the companies worth staying would reap more profit. If anything, I think China is doing more harm than Traxxas
I think in some ways, that is more location based. Where i live, its mostly planes that people have, and only one shop within 30 minutes, but, when i went to NJ recently, i saw a few shops that had indoor and outdoor tracks. In N.Y., there are very few large shops, but, in PA, there are quite a few. Every shop within 100 miles of me (a whole 3) is extremely small, or, part of a larger store, usually one that carries trains more than anything. One of the shops near me is even part of an automotive body shop, and only because the owners son is into RC vehicles, but, there entire store is 50 by 60 feet.

@ScaleJunkie

Take no offense to anything I said that does not apply to you, or anyone for that matter.

You have to understand that any business is not in business to keep others in business. I know you know that. This hobby is just another business till the day these guys make RCs for free.

I didn't take any offense, yes I understand business, i'm not a corporate guy like you, but I get it. I also understand over saturation personally, as the area that i work in is very over saturated with automotive shops, it hurts everyone. What I don't agree with is Traxxas attacking (basically) small business owners and other companies within the hobby. It is damaging overall, Chinese crap gets on my nerves, if you want to talk over saturation that is where a disproportionately large chunk of it comes from. But, nearly everything is made with at least some part of it coming from China, so not much getting away from it.

I remember those commercials. As a destructive teen, i wanted a Clod Buster just to see what i could run over. It only took another 10 years to get one, and, by then, it didnt seem to have the same appeal. I had a Lunch Box for a very long time, but then swapped it for a Monster Beetle and a Hornet that i still have.

I think in some ways, that is more location based. Where i live, its mostly planes that people have, and only one shop within 30 minutes, but, when i went to NJ recently, i saw a few shops that had indoor and outdoor tracks. In N.Y., there are very few large shops, but, in PA, there are quite a few. Every shop within 100 miles of me (a whole 3) is extremely small, or, part of a larger store, usually one that carries trains more than anything. One of the shops near me is even part of an automotive body shop, and only because the owners son is into RC vehicles, but, there entire store is 50 by 60 feet.
Where are you from? I am in NYC

Oh wow he’s up there. I have in laws in Rochester, I don’t even do that drive anymore I fly it’s so far

I think we all wish in here that some day Arrma was as big as Traxxas, but I fear if that ever happened they would get greedy too and try to eliminate their competition with shady business practices and start to mass produce less and less durable products.

@2015GTRBE

Everything you said is spot on fella. I like both Traxxas and Arrma. Each company has pros and cons no matter who it is. I just got into RCs a few months back. I did not get into it because of any certain company. I got into it because It was something my 4 year old son and I do together on the weekends to have FUN! At the end of the day that's what really matters. For the guys that hate traxxas.... show me a vid of another company rolling up to a sweepstakes winner's house with their semi truck fully loaded with all their RCs and let a family pick out $10k worth of whatever they want like traxxas did this past November. That's pretty awesome! I'd also like to say.... I'm loving my big rock! Arrma killed it with the 3s line, love bashing this truck :LOL:

Don't you all miss those Saturday trips to the hobby store and it was just loaded with rc enthusiasts all having a laugh and a good time enjoying the hobby and then you had the people tuning and test driving nitros outside the shop might be just me but dang that still sounds good lol
This is just as I remember it, was so cool hanging out fraternizing with everyone. Nitros screaming in the parking lot with people testing, tuning, and trying out.

Now it's only a pipe dream in my area. Only 2 left and 80 mile round trip. Both Traxxas stocked with no Arrma in sight.

I have no brand loyalty at all. If a company makes a product I like, I will buy it.
I understand the push to stop online sales and get more people into hobby shops to buy there product. What I don't understand, is why limit these shops to sell only your product, almost forcing the sale of these other products to online sales. That will close more hobby shops then it will save. Competition is good thing for business. It brings out better products. If we get a 1/6 scale Arrma, it will be because of Xmaxx sales that Arrma wants in on. And I bet the Revo 2.0 was made to compete with Kraton sales.
Just seems that if a shop doesn't carry only traxxas, they pull there product from that store, almost certainly closing that shop. This is not good for the hobby or Traxxas themselves. Brick and mortor hobby shops are getting scarce.
Seems like they need to operate like Old Navy, make all your own stuff, and sell it in your own big stores in strip malls.

Guess what guy..... Traxass has NOTHING to do with why I'm in this hobby.... I started with a kyosho raider in the mid to late 80's. I guess I'm the 2%.
My first rd car was a aristo craft kangaroo

I have no brand loyalty at all. If a company makes a product I like, I will buy it.
I understand the push to stop online sales and get more people into hobby shops to buy there product. What I don't understand, is why limit these shops to sell only your product, almost forcing the sale of these other products to online sales. That will close more hobby shops then it will save. Competition is good thing for business. It brings out better products. If we get a 1/6 scale Arrma, it will be because of Xmaxx sales that Arrma wants in on. And I bet the Revo 2.0 was made to compete with Kraton sales.
Just seems that if a shop doesn't carry only traxxas, they pull there product from that store, almost certainly closing that shop. This is not good for the hobby or Traxxas themselves. Brick and mortor hobby shops are getting scarce.
Seems like they need to operate like Old Navy, make all your own stuff, and sell it in your own big stores in strip malls.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet, hobby shops aren’t closing because of Traxxas they are closing BECAUSE OF US! We are the reason, and it’s not the few people who still go to a LHS, but the world no longer has patience. We want to order a part online because it’s cheaper, no tax, no driving anywhere, no tolls, no gas spent, and no time taken out of your life. That is humanity in 2019.

There is no such rule as Traxxas saying you can’t sell other product, look at A main hobbies. The hobby store was saying Traxxas didn’t want them selling on line.... there could be several reasons. 1. Maybe Traxxas didn’t want them discounting the parts. 2. Tamiya recently made a rule that their prices must be the same everywhere, so Traxxas may be following because perhaps there is now a legal reason.

Before you go off crazy judging, wait till you know the facts. Just because one store sent out a memo about how this company screwed them, you have to think... why would a brand not want someone selling our stuff? Think about it people, there has to be more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back