Another Reason to dislike Traxxas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I appreciate Traxxas and their efforts in expanding the hobby (I have three Traxxas vehicles in my household), their antics have put me off from the brand. On top of that, their lineup is nowhere near as robust as Arrma's and believe me, people are definitely taking notice.

I have two hobby/rc shops near me. The first one, which was located a few miles out in a smaller town but has since moved to my city, didn't carry Arrma AT ALL a mere two years ago. They mainly had Redcat vehicles at the time and had like two or three Traxxas vehicles(even then they didn't care for Traxxas). My brother and I told THEM about Arrma after we had purchased our Arrma vehicles. Fast forward to now, and they carry Arrma's entire lineup. They're doing very well and all is right in the world. And they still have those same Traxxas vehicles in the discolored boxes that they had in their other location. Lol.

The other store which is much larger and stocks d*mn near everything, is heavy on Traxxas vehicles and had Arrma vehicles two years ago but they were mainly relegated to the back of the store. They are now displayed at the front and the chatter has changed amongst customers. Traxxas is still very popular in there but WAY more people know about Arrma now and comparing lineups across the board, Traxxas does not compare.

One main 1/8 scale basher vehicle on 6s (E Revo 2.0) versus the diverse lineup of the Kraton, Talion, Outcast/Notorious, and Typhon? Laughable. And with Traxxas being so slow to update when Arrma updates every year or so it's not even close if we're being objective.

I own a somewhat varied group of vehicles (Team Redcat, HPI, Arrma, Traxxas, Force RC) but Traxxas has been the most stale to me. I DO appreciate the availability of parts though. But luckily, both of my local shops tend to keep a great stock of the parts I need for all my current vehicles, with the understandable exception of the Force brand.

With all that said, I just don't currently see another Traxxas in my future until they 'step up' their offerings.

Every RTR is going to have flaws and short comings. Traxxas has drive shaft issues, push rods and electronics, Arrma has weak chassis and metals, formerly had bad electronics... it’s all the same. But you made a great point, Arrma is in tune with their customers and they update often. I wish they would just step up properly and give CNC chassis and charge an extra $50.00.

Every RTR is going to have flaws and short comings. Traxxas has drive shaft issues, push rods and electronics, Arrma has weak chassis and metals, formerly had bad electronics... it’s all the same. But you made a great point, Arrma is in tune with their customers and they update often. I wish they would just step up properly and give CNC chassis and charge an extra $50.00.

I dunno. I think for the majority of recreational RC users, the current chassis is fine. You can all but guarantee the price of the 6s trucks is going up already and tacking in another $50 for something most people don’t need would be foolhardy. For the hardcore bashers there is the option of the M2C chassis for $100, which is better than whatever Arrma would provide in an update.

Yeah, I think Arrma's big advantage is responding to consumer feedback. I'm not a super hard basher so the chassis on my Typhon has held up well. It's pretty much a speed-run vehicle now anyway. It did survive a 70-ish mph tumble on asphalt though. ???

Yeah, I think Arrma's big advantage is responding to consumer feedback. I'm not a super hard basher so the chassis on my Typhon has held up well. It's pretty much a speed-run vehicle now anyway. It did survive a 70-ish mph tumble on asphalt though ???

I currently have 7 Traxxas models.
Does that make me the bad guy.

2015GTRBE said:
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet, hobby shops aren’t closing because of Traxxas they are closing BECAUSE OF US! We are the reason, and it’s not the few people who still go to a LHS, but the world no longer has patience. We want to order a part online because it’s cheaper, no tax, no driving anywhere, no tolls, no gas spent, and no time taken out of your life. That is humanity in 2019.

There is no such rule as Traxxas saying you can’t sell other product, look at A main hobbies. The hobby store was saying Traxxas didn’t want them selling on line.... there could be several reasons. 1. Maybe Traxxas didn’t want them discounting the parts. 2. Tamiya recently made a rule that their prices must be the same everywhere, so Traxxas may be following because perhaps there is now a legal reason.

Before you go off crazy judging, wait till you know the facts. Just because one store sent out a memo about how this company screwed them, you have to think... why would a brand not want someone selling our stuff? Think about it people, there has to be more

With all due respect I don't think YOU have the facts. I have a great LHS that carries pretty much everything Horizon sells. If he doesn't have it all you need to do is ask and he will stock it. I have heard rumors about Traxxas trying to force the hobby shops to sell only their products but didn't know what to believe so I asked my store owner what the truth was. He said it was true. Traxxas will come in and keep his shop fully stocked with their parts and and do whatever they can to help him to promote more business but he will no longer be able to sell other stuff. He would have to basically sever ties with Horizon. This he will not do. He says he would love to stock all the traxxas stuff instead of just replacement parts but Traxxas will have nothing to do with him. Will not even return his emails. Traxxas is forcing the shops to make a choice. Us or them and that does not look like a company trying to expand the hobby to me. It looks to me like they want the monopoly and they think they are big enough to do it. This is just one reason I won't do business with them anymore. I hope they choke on it and go down in flames.

2015GTRBE said:
Don’t believe everything you read on the internet, hobby shops aren’t closing because of Traxxas they are closing BECAUSE OF US! We are the reason, and it’s not the few people who still go to a LHS, but the world no longer has patience. We want to order a part online because it’s cheaper, no tax, no driving anywhere, no tolls, no gas spent, and no time taken out of your life. That is humanity in 2019.

There is no such rule as Traxxas saying you can’t sell other product, look at A main hobbies. The hobby store was saying Traxxas didn’t want them selling on line.... there could be several reasons. 1. Maybe Traxxas didn’t want them discounting the parts. 2. Tamiya recently made a rule that their prices must be the same everywhere, so Traxxas may be following because perhaps there is now a legal reason.

Before you go off crazy judging, wait till you know the facts. Just because one store sent out a memo about how this company screwed them, you have to think... why would a brand not want someone selling our stuff? Think about it people, there has to be more

With all due respect I don't think YOU have the facts. I have a great LHS that carries pretty much everything Horizon sells. If he doesn't have it all you need to do is ask and he will stock it. I have heard rumors about Traxxas trying to force the hobby shops to sell only their products but didn't know what to believe so I asked my store owner what the truth was. He said it was true. Traxxas will come in and keep his shop fully stocked with their parts and and do whatever they can to help him to promote more business but he will no longer be able to sell other stuff. He would have to basically sever ties with Horizon. This he will not do. He says he would love to stock all the traxxas stuff instead of just replacement parts but Traxxas will have nothing to do with him. Will not even return his emails. Traxxas is forcing the shops to make a choice. Us or them and that does not look like a company trying to expand the hobby to me. It looks to me like they want the monopoly and they think they are big enough to do it. This is just one reason I won't do business with them anymore. I hope they choke on it and go down in flames.

Again... look at A main and let me know when they stop selling Horizon Hobby and every other brand because Traxxas said so.

I’ll ask my LHS when I get a chance to see if he can dig up anything in actual writing.

Does Traxxas want a monopoly? Absolutely, who doesn’t? You don’t think Arrma would love to own 100% of the market share? If what the hobby shop owner is claiming is true then it’s quite simple... tell Traxxas to piss off. If the shops close down because they can’t sell Traxxas then I guess Traxxas is more important than you give credit for no?

Everyone forgets that RC is a business for these companies and not a hobby. Jason Dearden isn’t adding T2T towers to his personal outcast and running it off 20 ft jumps, he is in his office or the factory in Taiwan over seeing his company with the effort in mind to increase sales, market share, and profitability.

Last edited:
It's funny how we start to care about stores closing after they close. Look at Toys R Us, for example. The same people that were in shock about them closing were the ones that probably hadn't stepped inside one of their stores in years. Our wallets dictate what stays in business and how companies respond to their customers.

Don't buy what you don't like and spend your money on places that you want to support. If Traxxas is alienating their customer base through their actions, more and more people will stop buying from them, whether it's through word of mouth or personal experience. As long as people keep buying from them, they will keep doing what they're doing. If they lose enough business, they will be forced to respond. Either that, or, go the way of the dinosaurs.

Why would Traxxas not promote or incentivize a LHS to sell only their product? It’s a business. They want to own the segment. This is done in every industry. Whether we like it or not, more and more LHS’ will close and most likely not bc of traxxas but because foot traffic is not there.
All we can do is spend our money at our local stores and hope they stick around.
I’ll spend every penny on this hobby at my local store but sometimes I can’t get there because they don’t have great hours.

I look forward to buying my Kraton from them and giving them the business.

more and more LHS’ will close and most likely not bc of traxxas but because foot traffic is not there.

I don't buy from my LHS because they don't stock Arrma.

Went to the next closest hobby shop on Friday trying to find stiffer diff fluid- they had it, Traxass brand.

Both shops have shelves full of Traxass.

If they had Arrma, they would have my foot traffic.

So- how is Traxass not playing a part in their demise?

Just saw a thread on Reddit today-
A guy commented to buy a Traxass. I replied to buy an Arrma. He responded he never heard of them. He then said he looked on Youtube and saw a Senton and liked it. Maybe I converted him for the future. Who knows.

But bottom line- Trax-ass is shortsightedly lining their pockets while hurting the hobby AND the hobby shops.

But based on what I've seen here in the short time I've been here, and on Youtube- Arrma is making a difference.

We can help by telling the LHS to carry Arrma stuff.

Why would Traxxas not promote or incentivize a LHS to sell only their product? It’s a business. They want to own the segment. This is done in every industry. Whether we like it or not, more and more LHS’ will close and most likely not bc of traxxas but because foot traffic is not there.
All we can do is spend our money at our local stores and hope they stick around.
I’ll spend every penny on this hobby at my local store but sometimes I can’t get there because they don’t have great hours.

You really don't see any issue at all with these 2 scenarios ?

The LHS agrees to go Traxxas only, this means that Traxxas will not let them stock other brand RCs.
The LHS sells other brand RCs, this means that Traxxas will not let them sell any Traxxas RCs.

Both of those ways to run a business are anti-competitive and anti-consumer. I'm not sure they would legally be permitted to operate in such a manner within the EU.

You say this happens in every industry.
I can't think of stores where I can only buy a PS4 but not any other games console.
I don't know of any stores where I can only buy an Nvidia graphics card but not an AMD.
I'm not aware of any stores that would only sell me a Canon DSLR, and would refuse to stock alternate brand cameras.

Then again I'm in the UK, not the US.

I currently have 7 Traxxas models.
Does that make me the bad guy.
I have 3, but have owned 4.

The LHS agrees to go Traxxas only, this means that Traxxas will not let them stock other brand RCs.
The LHS sells other brand RCs, this means that Traxxas will not let them sell any Traxxas RCs.

Both of those ways to run a business are anti-competitive and anti-consumer. I'm not sure they would legally be permitted to operate in such a manner within the EU.

I can't think of stores where I can only buy a PS4 but not any other games console.
I don't know of any stores where I can only buy an Nvidia graphics card but not an AMD.
I'm not aware of any stores that would only sell me a Canon DSLR, and would refuse to stock alternate brand cameras.

Nope what Traxxas is doing is actually illegal in the US. If Intel can't get away with doing it then why the hell does Traxxas think they can?
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/technology/companies/13chip.html

All it would take is any of the other distributors to have some of these shop owners submit a complaint with the FTC and Traxxas would be in some deep doo doo.

I am not saying I agree with it. I myself am new to the hobby but yet to buy anything Traxxas and don't plan on it and my LHS supplies everything and can order anything on demand.

I understand that this is not good and doesn't always happen but what company would not want to have exclusivity at retail? Sony would love to come in to best buy and say I want you to sell only Sony product. Budweiser would love to have exclusivity at every retail outlet. Thankfully they don't. The examples are endless.

I guess I was just playing devils advocate. I dread the day if my LHS ever closes. I've shopped there since I was a kid and now take my own kids there.

If a store closes because they fell victim to Traxxas' black balling, it definitely hurts the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back