Another Spektrum ESC down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMightyAtom

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
I know all ESC manufacturers have their occasional issues, but I'm here as another data point on the "Spektrum ESCs burning up" trendline.

Third run ever on my Felony today, and the ESC suddenly cogs, reboots, and bursts into flames. I've seen videos on the internet of ESCs burning up, but nothing like it in person!

Why do you think that is? Just more time spent at full throttle?
Yep! it seems like almost every time I see it going out it's one of those street bashers. I think the people who buy those rigs are going hard and that esc just can't keep up. Probably with stock gearing too haha.

I bet it's that silly timing in stock.

Fyi, it's a Hobbywing ESC, made by Hobbywing with orange paint.
Therefore, Hobbywing sucks?

I bet it's that silly timing in stock.

Fyi, it's a Hobbywing ESC, made by Hobbywing with orange paint.
Therefore, Hobbywing sucks?
It might be a hobby wing but it's not even a max 8. It's the equivalent of the 08BL150 which seems extremely low tier. Even according to hobbywing that esc is meant for 1/8 buggy/monster truck. They even specifically leave out "on road" even though they specifically state it for other ESCs that they list right next to it on the same exact page.

1675656855846.png

Yet spektrum tossing them in 1/7th scale on road rigs. Not only that but like you said, putting the timing at a ridiculous 22 on top of it.

I was thinking its closer to a max8? They sure seem similar:

M4-Processor_PP.jpg

MAX8:

HW30103200_5.jpg

I really hate seeing any of them fail, I have not smoked a Firma 150 yet but that doesn't mean it wont happen. I do reduce my timing to almost 0 on every one of them and all in off-road rigs.

I have seen that thread. Its probably not an exact clone of anything as it is customized for Spektrum, but I still think with the smart features and the power switch it is a variant of the Max8.

Hoping someone who works for Hobbywing can verify :LOL:.

it sure doesn't perform like a max 8 :eek:

Yeah here's the eye candy. Those tire tracks are from the Felony BTW, which I thought was cool :D

I got the batteries out quickly afterwards, so no worries there.

I'll probably just sell the replacement ESC and get a Max 6.

VideoCapture_20230207-131609.jpg

20230207_131855.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back