Any brown polycarbonate paint in a rattle can?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
I can’t find any from any brand, anywhere. I found the color I want from Mission Models but it’s liquid airbrush paint, plus it’s water-based so I don’t know how that would play with the Tamiya stuff. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know!
Also, what rhymes with “orange?”
Hopefully I’ll get an answer to the first question…

Spaz Stix has a "Candy Golden Rootbeer"....not sure how "brown" you want, but that's the closest I found. It's in aerosol form on good 'ol Amazon.

maxresdefault.jpg

Spaz Stix has a "Candy Golden Rootbeer"....not sure how "brown" you want, but that's the closest I found. It's in aerosol form on good 'ol Amazon.

View attachment 192699
Funny you should mention that, I’m doing a ‘56 Ford pickup body and I already got the Spaz Candy Golden Root Beer for the main color. I’m going to two-tone the paint and I wanted a dark brown for the secondary color. I may have to rethink it though, at this point I don’t think I can get brown. I found it in the Tamiya lacquer, but that’s not for polycarbonates. Weird, it seems like it would be a pretty basic color…

Funny you should mention that, I’m doing a ‘56 Ford pickup body and I already got the Spaz Candy Golden Root Beer for the main color. I’m going to two-tone the paint and I wanted a dark brown for the secondary color. I may have to rethink it though, at this point I don’t think I can get brown. I found it in the Tamiya lacquer, but that’s not for polycarbonates. Weird, it seems like it would be a pretty basic color…
Maybe try some SEM Colorcoat. https://www.semproducts.com/product/color-coattm-aerosols#product-details

I used rattle can Tamiya Copper PS-14. You Probably saw this? My Avatar to the left is that color, first with a very light mist of black. Noto Body.
With rattle cans you are limited with Polycarbonate paint colors. But Tamiya has the widest color selection of them all in rattle cans. If mixing different brands of paint, let that coat fully dry a day or so before applying the different one. Not the best option. But can work. Done it.
You can always mist a very light coat of black or a smoke tint (PS-31) before painting the color to create a different shade of it to contrast that original color. Not what you are looking for, but may give similar results you are looking for. Can always do a test on scrap lexan to make sure what you will get.
You would think Brown would be common. I wanted brown also for my Crawler for a scale look theme. All I could find was the Tam. Copper PS-14. And the Cap looks like a perfect Brown ironically. But it is not. Bottled PS colors for airbrushing allow you to mix colors to create others.

Last edited:
I used rattle can Tamiya Copper PS-14..
That’s the closest I could find as well. I ordered some yesterday. Not exactly what I had in mind, but it might be a nice contrast with the Candy Root Beer. I do like the color on your rig, I think it might work out well. I’m going to do a couple test sprays and see how they play.
That looks interesting, new to me. Says it’s flexible, might work well on polycarbonate. Ever tried it?

Never thought of a brown RC car, but now I love the idea. I miss that old 80s brown you would see on so many vehicles.

I’ve been trying to find a good brown and tan polycarbonate paint but it doesn’t seem like they make any

I ended up just getting some createx brown water based paint and used that
You need to shoot it through an airbrush though

I’ve been trying to find a good brown and tan polycarbonate paint but it doesn’t seem like they make any

I ended up just getting some createx brown water based paint and used that
You need to shoot it through an airbrush though
Thanks, I’ll probably end up getting an airbrush. Any recommendations?

That’s the TS lacquer, not the PS, so its not for polycarbonate, just for plastic models. I was wondering why they didn’t have it in PS. They have three flavors of brown I found in the TS.
Not trying to fight you on this but I've painted with the same paint and you will soon see the body on the forum and it's excellent I will not change up to another brand ever again works perfect dry's quick,but you have to get what you like,I get it..

Last edited:
Thanks, I’ll probably end up getting an airbrush. Any recommendations?
I have quite a few airbrushes
But the one I use the most is the Iwata eclipse
I use it for all my detail work including shooting flames

But if you’re looking for an airbrush that’s good for all around use and not for shooting fine details I’d recommend the badger patriot 105 with a .5mm tip
I use this airbrush quite a bit as well

That’s the closest I could find as well. I ordered some yesterday. Not exactly what I had in mind, but it might be a nice contrast with the Candy Root Beer. I do like the color on your rig, I think it might work out well. I’m going to do a couple test sprays and see how they play.

That looks interesting, new to me. Says it’s flexible, might work well on polycarbonate. Ever tried it?

No I have never tried it. But I know of guys that used it on their cloth interiors and its held up for years.

Not trying to fight you on this but I've painted with the same paint and you will soon see the body on the forum and it's excellent I will not change up to another brand ever again works perfect dry's quick,but you have to get what you like,I get it..
You won’t get a fight from me, I’ve seen what you can do! I shied away from the TS paint because I’ve heard it flakes and chips with hard bashing. You find it holds up?

But if you’re looking for an airbrush that’s good for all around use and not for shooting fine details I’d recommend the badger patriot 105 with a .5mm tip
Thank you, I’ll check that out. I’ve no experience with an airbrush at all, but I’m looking forward to learning. Pretty sure it’s a skill I’ll really enjoy cultivating. Maybe with 20 or 30 years experience I’ll be half as good as the work I’ve seen you turn out!

You won’t get a fight from me, I’ve seen what you can do! I shied away from the TS paint because I’ve heard it flakes and chips with hard bashing. You find it holds up?

Thank you, I’ll check that out. I’ve no experience with an airbrush at all, but I’m looking forward to learning. Pretty sure it’s a skill I’ll really enjoy cultivating. Maybe with 20 or 30 years experience I’ll be half as good as the work I’ve seen you turn out!
Ha ha
I don’t have years of experience but I do have a lot of practice
Practice makes perfect and after painting hundreds of bodies I’m still learning

Not sure if you’ve seen this but I have a ton of pics posted here

I do these for fun so it’s not a business for me 👍🏼

https://m.facebook.com/AJs-Custom-RC-Painting-109753461266952/?ref=bookmarks

TS paint will chip and flak off I made that mistake on a 100$ body

It was the first color (main color) on the body that was TS followed by 6 other PS colors over 30 coats total

Once it started to chip it never stopped

There is no good earth toned paint options in spray cans I found that out on my military themed crawler

I am looking to expand on to the airbrush side and had a question

I love the flames you do but that is not what I am looking for. I am wanting it for my crawler body’s to add more scale realism to the paint job. So the gun you mentioned could spray the whole body with detail or will I need more then 1 gun?

Clean up ???? What do I need to do ???

Any good and helpful tutorials / videos

Also I have herd you can practice on a mirror or glass and use a razor to remove the dry paint does that work

Last edited:

It was the first color (main color) on the body that was TS followed by 6 other PS colors over 30 coats total

There is no good earth toned paint options in spray cans I found that out on my military themed crawler

I love the flames you do but that is not what I am looking for. I am wanting it for my crawler body’s to add more scale realism to the paint job. So the gun you mentioned could spray the whole body with detail or will I need more then 1 gun?

Also I have herd you can practice on a mirror or glass and use a razor to remove the dry paint does that work
Not sure on all of your questions but.

For cleanup just use normal paint thinner.

Yes you can practice on a mirror or glass and a razor will remove the paint, use a razor like from a utility knife.

You can get by with a single airbrush
Just takes longer if you’re using a detail tip as it disperses smaller amounts of paint ..I just use the .5mm tip for wider bigger areas

As for cleanup..I use isopropyl alcohol with a small paint brush to clean out my guns when using water based paints ..if you’re using solvent based paints like lacquer and most polycarbonate paints like spaz stix then I use lacquer thinner as already mentioned

I’ve shot a lot of scale crawlers and find that it’s much easier to lay down liquid mask over the whole body then cut and paint

I just did this rat rod the other day ..it has a fair amount of scale detail

I shot liquid mask over the whole thing and then just cut and painted little by little

I also did the same for this 55’ Chevy drag body

B37F3E86-18CF-4974-970F-B889390CC34F.jpeg

825AB97B-FB10-4725-A3DB-C4AFC93883CC.jpeg

04DD6CA3-7AF1-47EF-8BF9-A12B710E1B03.jpeg

020778DE-B52F-41CE-B79A-72AAFD5B50F3.jpeg

B157FB2B-C6CD-4880-B60F-F570FF840D10.jpeg

94722115-516C-4FC3-889D-3A95B081D50A.jpeg

BFBD813D-F2DF-4CCC-A6FE-74C06999927F.jpeg

200EB566-0CC0-4999-B292-8EEF1CB6718A.jpeg

8483BB2A-4F6C-4C0C-8778-269B1ABA9C28.jpeg

D3BE08A2-2B35-4F81-B0E1-96ADAB177B00.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back