Limitless Any experiences with the hobbywing max8 2200kv esc/motor combo? Infraction, limitless, talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papajohn

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Hey all ?? Just wanted to see if anyone has ran the hobbywing max8 esc/2200 motor on any of their 6s cars? If so, how’s your experience with it? I’m putting together a little speed rig with my 2wd Traxxas rustler.. something along the lines of 1:1 gearing (or close to it) and 100mph lol. I’m in between the blx185 system and hobbywing. Any input helps. Cheers ??

Hey all ?? Just wanted to see if anyone has ran the hobbywing max8 esc/2200 motor on any of their 6s cars? If so, how’s your experience with it? I’m putting together a little speed rig with my 2wd Traxxas rustler.. something along the lines of 1:1 gearing (or close to it) and 100mph lol. I’m in between the blx185 system and hobbywing. Any input helps. Cheers ??
They work great for bashing in the 6s lineup, but if you want to do speed runs I would recommend getting a Castle ESC, as the Hobbywings tend to cut power under high load situations.

If you can afford it buying the MMX8s is very worth the extra cost. You could save a little money and run the Arrma BLX 2050 motor.

34/34 tends to be a little high stress for a 2200 motor and that ESC.
As others mentioned it will cut the power due to going past the amperage limiting. This is the case for any of the HW escs including the big MAX 5. Castle ESCs are the way to go if you want to go fast.

Mamba monster 2 would be an option also, however the MMX8s is very worth the extra coin for data logs and both the esc and the motor will run cooler.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the helpful input! I got a little trigger happy on amazon today before checking everyone’s response and purchased the hobbywing max8 2200 combo. $190 sold me and it was the “last one” lol. However, I just canceled my order so no problem. The MMX8 is a little out of my price range sadly, BUT the Mamba Monster X fits right into my sub $1000 build. What do you guys think? Is this better than the MM2?

Also, I didn’t mean to sound crazy but I’m most definitely not jumping straight into 1:1 gearing.. I’m going with a 34/26 combo to begin with and continue to check temps and gradually work my way up from there. From what I’ve seen, a lot of guys have tweaked their rigs to run 100mph without the need for true 1:1 gearing.

Thank you guys for the helpful input! I got a little trigger happy on amazon today before checking everyone’s response and purchased the hobbywing max8 2200 combo. $190 sold me and it was the “last one” lol. However, I just canceled my order so no problem. The MMX8 is a little out of my price range sadly, BUT the Mamba Monster X fits right into my sub $1000 build. What do you guys think? Is this better than the MM2?

Also, I didn’t mean to sound crazy but I’m most definitely not jumping straight into 1:1 gearing.. I’m going with a 34/26 combo to begin with and continue to check temps and gradually work my way up from there. From what I’ve seen, a lot of guys have tweaked their rigs to run 100mph without the need for true 1:1 gearing.

Many of us have had mixed reviews with the mmx6s it tends to run hot.

So the cheaper MM2 is actually better? Would adding cap packs be a wise decision as well? Thank you again for help!
Yep, for speed running the MMX6s was never good. It seemed like it was made for very lightweight RCs.
Yes I would add a cap pack as extra insurance. All of the Castle ESCs have a serious need for a cap pack except for the new MMX8s.

I did some digging in the forums and saw that a load of castle owners were frying up their esc’s on speed runs due to the lack of a sufficient BEC. That’s a sad, sad thought especially with the price tag these systems come with!

@jondilly1974 did you have cap packs hooked up to the esc with the MM2?

@LibertyMKiii I came across @phildogg ’s ripple killer cap packs, so I’m going to give that a shot with the max8, some higher mAh smc lipos, and with the max8 LVC programmed to not cut off so early. I’m going to keep gearing up and hoping for the best but if it fails, the MMX8s will be the next course of action ?

Check out his rustler on the max8 system. He got back to me and said he has no issues with the esc cutting out with the cap packs on ?

I did some digging in the forums and saw that a load of castle owners were frying up their esc’s on speed runs due to the lack of a sufficient BEC. That’s a sad, sad thought especially with the price tag these systems come with!

@LibertyMKiii I came across @phildogg ’s ripple killer cap packs, so I’m going to give that a shot with the max8, some higher mAh smc lipos, and with the max8 LVC programmed to not cut off so early. I’m going to keep gearing up and hoping for the best but if it fails, the MMX8s will be the next course of action ?

Check out his rustler on the max8 system. He got back to me and said he has no issues with the esc cutting out with the cap packs on ?
Yes I had a Ripple Killer 6S cap pack. Same one I’m using on the MMX8S when using 6S.

You can run in the 90-98mph range with about any ESC made for 6s use, but when you want to go faster you will need a Castle ESC.
Many of us here have done 94-98 mph on the factory BLX185 esc.

Many people try going 90+ and realize it is much faster than they expected and don't want to go faster. I remember years ago showing my friend who owned a rustler VXL, my car, and had it setup for going around 60mph. They were certain I was doing 100 mph :ROFLMAO:

Going beyond 100mph opens up a whole new can of worms where you will need better radio equipment, amazing roads smooth like glass, no traffic, no obstacles for when the car runs off the road, and loads of cash for trying different motors/ESCs.

@LibertyMKiii I have my blx100 system in my rustler right now, geared to 50/26 and I’m not going to lie.. I thought it was going 100mph too, but it’s probably somewhere in the 60’s? What cars do you own by the way?

I know if I hit 90, I’ll be content for awhile, but the itch for speed will inevitably return at some point and I’ll be back here tagging you to show that I finally went with the mmx8s LOL.

So far, I’ve paired the rustler with a radiolink 4ch tx/rx with the gyro and have marked a couple long, newly constructed roads in some new neighborhoods around here in San Diego. I’m going to prep the car as best as I can and hope that I don’t wreck it ??‍♂️

Today my friends 1/8 buggy same gear ratio as arrmas, with a center spool 34t by arrma. 101 miles with hobbywing 150amp wp-8bl150(same as blx185ecs) , ripplekiller, 4074 2250kv rocket motor in 6s!it has more!! It did some cuts when he pulled fast the remote, but when he learned how to pull slower the buggy was a beast!!!

You can run in the 90-98mph range with about any ESC made for 6s use, but when you want to go faster you will need a Castle ESC.
Many of us here have done 94-98 mph on the factory BLX185 esc.

Many people try going 90+ and realize it is much faster than they expected and don't want to go faster. I remember years ago showing my friend who owned a rustler VXL, my car, and had it setup for going around 60mph. They were certain I was doing 100 mph :ROFLMAO:

Going beyond 100mph opens up a whole new can of worms where you will need better radio equipment, amazing roads smooth like glass, no traffic, no obstacles for when the car runs off the road, and loads of cash for trying different motors/ESCs.
best advice award

1 year update. Haven’t been in the hobby for almost a year now, but I was able to get the car up to 92.8mph the last time I ran it. It’s been sitting pretty in my garage since then and up for sale if anyone wants it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back