Big Rock Any luck with GPM CVDs in the Big Rock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCMatty

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I've ran a little more than 4-5 3s packs through my BR and both rear axels separated at the yokes. The HD CVDs are out of stock everywhere. The parts to BUILD them are out of stock everywhere. I've been told the HR CVDs are poorly designed and I think that leaves me the GPM CVDs which have mixed reviews. The stock axels are not an option at $20 a run. Neither is waiting over a month on Horizons supply chain issues.

Who here is *actually* using the GPM CVDs? What is your driving style? Are you running stock power and punch settings? How long have they held up? Thanks!

PS. Admins. This hobby is full of 3 letter words, manufacturers, and acronyms we should be able to search. Ie. Pin, Hub, CVD, Nut, Hex, Cup, GPM, HOT, Etc. Do I have to use advanced search for this? Or is this something we can look into fixing? I got nothing of relevance on 'Big Rock GPM CVD'.

Have on rear of my BR have 2 packs on um. 3S
1 punch setting 30k diff in rear with 6s shocks all way around. Was going through stock shafts per pack, if they would last that long!! Front are still stock, waiting for delivery from GPM, mid to late October.

FD8F8394-B3CF-4D69-89D8-D1CAA1A0092C.jpeg

D4080E0E-7674-480B-8382-1F2DFE86E387.jpeg

Have on rear of my BR have 2 packs on um. 3S
1 punch setting 30k diff in rear with 6s shocks all way around. Was going through stock shafts per pack, if they would last that long!! Front are still stock, waiting for delivery from GPM, mid to late October.

View attachment 169251

View attachment 169252
Nice! I'm happy with the GPM CVDs on the rear of my Big Rock and I run it on 4s and still have not had any problems with them after almost 3 months.

So had this happen today. With the GPM CVD’s. 🤯😢😤 3S 3 punch at 75% throttle going thru light dead grass few small bumps

3282EDAE-DEBD-4EA2-B137-E9AFD2B13D18.jpeg

E925E441-485C-43D7-A850-593705745BDC.jpeg

i had that happen after 4 months. I drive it hard. ramps and street bashing. only once it did that. way better than stock. I think even RC Guy garage had the arrma ones and it broke the same place

I've got them on my Vorteks. Been on there for a few months, haven't given me any problems. I use it for general bashing, usually at the BMX track. It gets jumped a lot, but nothing really excessive, and more often than not I land it correctly. 3s with stock electronics (except servo). It has stretched (Typhon) arms too, which pulls the aluminum slipper shaft out more than it would on factory arms, and still hasn't had issues.

I ended up ordering 4 GPMs to do all the way around the vehicle. Eventually, hooking up on concrete, I broke the guts out of one of them. Then I took out the rear diff. All from just flat out torque transfer on asphalt surfaces, stock punch settings. As an update to this thread, here's what I ended up doing that's held up OK so far on this vehicle and still allows me to enjoy wheelies galore.

1) Put the stock CVDs back in place on the front (Not a lot of torque transfer takes place at the front wheels so I think it's a waste to upgrade the front).
2) Kept the GPMs in the rear.
3) Upgraded the rear diff to the Arrma HD steel diff.
4) Set the slipper to stock setting and thread locked it. It will come loose otherwise.
5) Enjoyed.

My GPM CvDs have been great, only have them on the rear although if I still land a backflip wrong now instead of breaking a drive axle, I blow the input shaft inside diff what's

I'm just gonna say, after seeing all these RPM arms in the pics... ditch those things already, no wonder you're blowing out u-joints. RPM arms are way too flexible to keep the rest of the suspension geometry/driveshafts in the places they should be. If you find yourself breaking stock arms too much, you need a driver mod.

That said, I've been tempted by the GPM because they are aluminum. Hot Racing's steel driveshafts have some rough reviews because of their weight. But I've had the best luck so far with stock parts. It took a whole summer of ramps to wear out my driveshafts, on 4s.

You must have the golden BR if you have upgraded tires to the MT’s shown with all stock. I couldn’t even run a battery through without spinning the yoke and breaking an ear off. Slipper at best was too lose. That was 3S on 4s NO WAY if I would have launched it would have broke! Like to see the set up u have @Nineball

I totally agree with nineball, I bought parts from Jenny's for a year the stock parts are 100% okay once again practice makes perfect and you land under power you're going to break something. Seriously I thought about buying another 3s long chassis platform because they're so durable. Throw some sick ass shocks on it and hit the skatepark. Love my Rock 😍
I just wish they made it with a center diff, I think it would be king of RCs then. I was so praying they were going to come out with a 4S center diff model Kraton, oh well I guess I'll have to buy Talion or something😜

full

Senton actually. Yeah, there are RPM arms up front because the LHS was out of stockers when I needed them. And guess what? It blew out those driveshafts. If they pop again, I'll try the arrma cvds. But so far, stock has held up better than anything. It started as a Mega and most of the BLX part swaps were out of boredom. I've still got a good 48p spur gear I ran on 4s for a few months.

full

Senton actually. Yeah, there are RPM arms up front because the LHS was out of stockers when I needed them. And guess what? It blew out those driveshafts. If they pop again, I'll try the arrma cvds. But so far, stock has held up better than anything. It started as a Mega and most of the BLX part swaps were out of boredom. I've still got a good 48p spur gear I ran on 4s for a few months.
Never use adapters between the ESC and battery. Sooner or later you'll learn why.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back