Typhon Any motor or esc performance comparison databases for 1/8 vehicles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I come from the planes and racing quadcopters side of RC where there are several sites online dedicated to measuring the various motor and esc performance metrics for comparison in a database... but I cant seem to find anything for 1/8 scale motors or escs for my 6S Typhon.

Here is an example of one for quad motors and escs - https://www.miniquadtestbench.com/motors/

Do any exist for us?

Yeah, nothing like that on the surface side. You plane and quad guys analyze everything in scientific detail. Cool, and maybe needed when flight time is 3 to 5 minutes... but car guys tend to just run stuff till it blows or melts...

Back in the nicad/nimh 4 minute race days, there were a lot of guys that spent loads of money on battery testers and motor dynos. But with modern brushless/lipo, that all went away. Turns out, good enough really is good enough.

Yeah, nothing like that on the surface side. You plane and quad guys analyze everything in scientific detail. Cool, and maybe needed when flight time is 3 to 5 minutes... but car guys tend to just run stuff till it blows or melts...

Back in the nicad/nimh 4 minute race days, there were a lot of guys that spent loads of money on battery testers and motor dynos. But with modern brushless/lipo, that all went away. Turns out, good enough really is good enough.

Thanks.

I understand that being an Arrma forum its more foccused on bashing and speed running than all out racing but I'm still surprised that no one has seen it as an opportunity to make some pocket money. I know I'd be very interested in surface motor and esc dyno results even if only for value for money reasons.

The guy that runs the MQTB website is sent free motors to test from the manufacturers and will also no doubt get some advertising revenue due to sheer visitor numbers. I guess I'm wondering if the quad market is substantially larger which makes it worthwhile for him. If not then it might be an opportunity for someone... ;)

What kind of planes you fly?

I have a

Sebart Mig29 EDF 3d twin motor EDF with TV
SONIC F1 wing inav'd
Pheonix 2000 motor glider inav'd
Parkmaster Pro 3D
Z84 Wing
Bixler V3
Funjet
Hacker Komet 262
Skywalker Falcon wing
X-vert VTOL.
and about 5 other foamboard parkflyers..

All in various states of flying condition...

I didnt realise I had so many until I wrote down that list! :D

What about you?

Ari 33

What Year is your Car ?

The New BLX is Hobbywing with Other Logo i Think.

What System You Have ?
Send Picture.

We help you Soon.

ARRMA is about BLAST Not just Bash .!
People From Traxxas is Most Welcome i think. !!! ?????

We Drive and have alot fun.
Not so much very beginner DETAILS ????

Year ? Picture ?

If you Handle Planes, You will handle also Arrma Car i think .

I have try couple Helicoters and Planes, Nitro and B-L
This is not Normal at all if you ASK ME.
After building one HUGE and Expensive Nitro Copter and also got help from Professional.
I crash that Batard after 20 Seconds !
20 Seconds !

ALOT ALOT TIME, READ , READ, LEARN. READ, also help from Pros.
NO.

I stay to RC -CARS

hahahhaa.

You must know all if you run Planes ?
Cars is 2 Simple ?

WE HELP YOU Brother.

don't worry !

Welcome to ARRMA And RC Cars :)
Have alot fun

Ari 33

What Year is your Car ?

The New BLX is Hobbywing with Other Logo i Think.

What System You Have ?
Send Picture.

We help you Soon.

ARRMA is about BLAST Not just Bash .!
People From Traxxas is Most Welcome i think. !!! ?????

We Drive and have alot fun.
Not so much very beginner DETAILS ????

Year ? Picture ?

If you Handle Planes, You will handle also Arrma Car i think .

I have try couple Helicoters and Planes, Nitro and B-L
This is not Normal at all if you ASK ME.
After building one HUGE and Expensive Nitro Copter and also got help from Professional.
I crash that Batard after 20 Seconds !
20 Seconds !

ALOT ALOT TIME, READ , READ, LEARN. READ, also help from Pros.
NO.

I stay to RC -CARS

hahahhaa.

You must know all if you run Planes ?
Cars is 2 Simple ?

WE HELP YOU Brother.

don't worry !

Welcome to ARRMA And RC Cars :)
Have alot fun

Thanks. Well, you are a character, that made me ?.

No, I'm no flying expert. I only got into planes about 18 months ago... after flying fpv quads started getting a bit boring. I think I've just got a wee bit of an RC addiction with the fact that I've moved back to buggys.
I had a Kyosho Turbo Burns about 20 years ago and my new (completely stock) Typhon v4 6S is my first car since then. I'll take a pic and put it up later..

Its still all quite new to me so just learning a bit more about the electric buggy side of things at the moment. No immediate plans to upgrade anything other than the servo at the moment but I'd just like to know whats out there in terms of motor and esc performance upgrades.

As it stands there is no way of knowing what motors offer the most bang for buck... or what their strengths and weaknsses are, hence my question here..

No, I'm no flying expert. I only got into planes about 18 months ago... after flying fpv quads started getting a bit boring. I think I've just got a wee bit of an RC addiction with the fact that I've moved back to buggys.
I had a Kyosho Turbo Burns about 20 years ago and my new (completely stock) Typhon v4 6S is my first car since then. I'll take a pic and put it up later..

Its still all quite new to me so just learning a bit more about the electric buggy side of things at the moment. No immediate plans to upgrade anything other than the servo at the moment but I'd just like to know whats out there in terms of motor and esc performance upgrades.

As it stands there is no way of knowing what motors offer the most bang for buck... or what their strengths and weaknsses are, hence my question here..
Oh... You'll upgrade! ? Just wait and see what that bad boy (or girl) can do. Pretty soon you will be trying to get it to out fly your planes. You picked a great buggy and will definitely have some fun with it. Enjoy the forum, tons of great info here!

With surface, unless you are racing the 17.5 class, it just does not matter. Need more power? Get a bigger motor. Need a lot more power? Add battery cells. With flyers, power to weight is critical, but for ground, an extra few oz. does not matter.

Part two to the answer, best bang for the buck would be the cheapest motor you can get, so long as you are not racing 17.5 class. Yes, a Tekin Pro4 will have more power than a goolrc 3660, but both will push a 4x4 SCT no problem, and you can buy half a dozen Goolrc motor for the price of the Pro4.

So why buy the Tekin? Most racers care about smooth, reliable power over power per oz. That Tekin is sensored, so pair it with a decent sensor esc and it will be smooth as butter...

50mm line - Great Planes F20
64mm line - F22, F15, ThunderChief and a Stinger (all Freewing brand)
70mm line - F16 camo, Yak-130 upgraded version on both
Great Planes Ugly Stix - brushless 3S, E-Flite 40Amp
E-Flite Sukoi
Two Durafly Tundra; one with floats and the other w wheels
Phoenix 2000
Bixler 2
custom balsa Gee Bee w a .52 FS
Phoenix Tiger 3 w a .52 TS
Phoenix Sonic .46
Tower Hobbies Ultimate bipe O.S. .91 FS
... I got to stop, and a few others in a box, a BlackHorse Katana 1.20, got engine all in a box, a Phoenix Dolphin etc.

I use a JR DSM2 protocol and a Futaba 10J FHSS, which is my favorite radio

Here you can read about your System if it has 6S BLX . This is Rebranded Hobbywing ESC

https://hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=354

This Programmer Card must Work?
https://hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=587&filter_attr=
they have also this
https://hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=372&filter_attr=

121.jpg

You find more info on that Side like Specifications. Suport and so .

I have not found any DataBases or Software from them.

THIS IS BLX200 , they rebrand this:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tm-x-car-beast-series-esc-1-8-scale-150a.html

They say this Programmer work with this box:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tm-x-car-beast-series-lcd-program-card.html

77150_1__4.jpg

Read the Comments
Had to replace the firmware with Gecko firmware and not it works great with my X-Car ESC. says one

And this is the Arrmas 200 BLX they rebrand im almost very shure?
https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/Hobbyw...less-ESC-30103200?sort=p.sort_order&order=ASC
HW-30103200_1-500x340.jpg

Last edited:
Here you can read about your System if it has 6S BLX . This is Rebranded Hobbywing ESC

https://hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=354

This Programmer Card must Work?
https://hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=587&filter_attr=
they have also this
https://hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=372&filter_attr=

View attachment 43938

You find more info on that Side like Specifications. Suport and so .

I have not found any DataBases or Software from them.

This must be same esc also
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tm-x-car-beast-series-esc-1-8-scale-150a.html

They say this work Program with this box:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tm-x-car-beast-series-lcd-program-card.html

View attachment 43940

Read the Comments
Had to replace the firmware with Gecko firmware and not it works great with my X-Car ESC. says one

And this is the Arrmas 200 BLX they rebrand im almost very shure?
https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/Hobbyw...less-ESC-30103200?sort=p.sort_order&order=ASC
View attachment 43941

Thanks, yes. I've already researched all that but actually quite comfortable programming it manually so don't think I'll bother with a card for the stock setup.
Maybe when I upgrade the motor and ESC with a more advanced one a card would come into its own.

A Nitro helicopter was a huge undertaking to learn to fly Hoonigan. You should get yourself a racing quad. Fast, very agile, relatively cheap, easy and fast to learn to fly, tough as hell and cheap to fix. If interested I can help you out with components and programming.

Castle is my choice esc motor combo

Thanks, yes. I've already researched all that but actually quite comfortable programming it manually so don't think I'll bother with a card for the stock setup.
Maybe when I upgrade the motor and ESC with a more advanced one a card would come into its own.

A Nitro helicopter was a huge undertaking to learn to fly Hoonigan. You should get yourself a racing quad. Fast, very agile, relatively cheap, easy and fast to learn to fly, tough as hell and cheap to fix. If interested I can help you out with components and programming.

Hello Ari

Just drive your Arrma as it is now.
Next Spring you Can change to Better BL Combo in your Arrma.
2020 there will come nice Combos to 1/8 i Believe.

Mamba Monster Max 2 you Can buy today.

Maybe there will Come also better next Year i Believe.

About RC Helicopters. I indeed they are too hard learn. You need go Fly School RC for this atleast LOL

Race Quads i have been thinking of actually before.
The Cool thing is they are alot more Easy Fly, and like you say. Cheap Buy, also parts is Cheap and easy change when needed.

Vortex-285-FPV-Racing-Quad-01.jpg

the one i look at before almost look like this. It was From Hobbyking.
The cool thing is that you can Fly them even winter time :)

I will buy one in one or two months. MUST Try :)
one RTR very very cheap and small for like 40 euro / us just for fun and learn the basics.
Right after that i need try bigger and better model around 200-300 euro / us.
This must be very fun and cool i think.
Later you can also try Video Glasses, that must be sick also HAHA.

Seen alot Cool Youtube videos about all this before. Really Nice :)

Hello Ari

Just drive your Arrma as it is now.
Next Spring you Can change to Better BL Combo in your Arrma.
2020 there will come nice Combos to 1/8 i Believe.

Mamba Monster Max 2 you Can buy today.

Maybe there will Come also better next Year i Believe.

About RC Helicopters. I indeed they are too hard learn. You need go Fly School RC for this atleast LOL

Race Quads i have been thinking of actually before.
The Cool thing is they are alot more Easy Fly, and like you say. Cheap Buy, also parts is Cheap and easy change when needed.

View attachment 43961

the one i look at before almost look like this. It was From Hobbyking.
The cool thing is that you can Fly them even winter time :)

I will buy one in one or two months. MUST Try :)
one RTR very very cheap and small for like 40 euro / us just for fun and learn the basics.
Right after that i need try bigger and better model around 200-300 euro / us.
This must be very fun and cool i think.
Later you can also try Video Glasses, that must be sick also HAHA.

Seen alot Cool Youtube videos about all this before. Really Nice :)

Thats how I started, just a small cheap one, still fast enough to be fun then when you feel comfortable you can move onto a basic LOS (line of sight quad with no fpv gear to slow you down, so the thrust to weight ratio is far higher.

I prefer LOS flying to fpv mainly for the performance difference, you just don't feel it in the goggles, there is too much missing for me.
This guy is one of the best LOS pilots in the world, I'm not at his level yet, probably never will be with my old eyes... but I try my best..

You will need to go full screen to see this little ? ship...

Enjoy..

Edit- Before you ask... nope... that video is not speeded up. Its real...they ARE that fast.

Last edited:

Well, that explains why I can't find the info on the speed/torque curves, and any dyno testing. Thanks for explaining it. The last time I was in this hobby I ran nitro cars. Lots of my friends had electrics, and I'd read "Dyno Tests" in the magazines for curiosity. I used to design AC and DC motor controls, so I grok electric motors, and how to make them do what you want.

Maybe I should look into building a test rig. I've run dynos for electric motors in the pre-pc days, and nowadays, with data collection being easy, a small dyno setup with some support gear might be a cool side project!

Like I need another.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back