Any recommendations on cheap transmitters and/or receivers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConVail1127

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
New to the hobby and am still waiting to get my first rc (senton 3s) and want to get a good replacement transmitter and/or receiver (With gyro) for it because I have heard many bad reviews on the stx2. Any recommendations?

+3.
GT5 here. The GT5's gyro has more tuning/adjustability if thats important to you.

Check out this review..

Last edited:
If you order on hobbyking and select dhl 3-5 days its usually here in 2 days. Mine always are anyways. I ordered another gt5 this morning that way.

If you are in the US primal rc sells the gt5. Right now it’s in stock.
https://www.primalrc.com/product-prpre002
I own the dumbo as well. You can’t beat the price and receivers are only 8-10$ which include a pretty good gyro. I own these two and several Tactic txx300 which all are good and cheap gt5 being the most expensive.

The GT5 is $77 on Amazon, I rather spend a little more and get a Futaba 3PV. A friend has the Dumbo RC and hasn't given him any issue. Especially for the price, it's a solid choice.

At 140 its a bit more than a little....lol But having both, I think the GT5 is a far better radio for the money.

I have the Dumbo RC which for what it costs, can't be beat. Tx and Gyro Rx for ~$35 when I got mine.

I also have the Spektrum DX5c, but a gyro Rx from Spektrum is like $80... The advantage there is that I can bind to all my vehicles and I don't need a Gyro on a boat or a crawler.

I wouldn't worry about a gyro on a 4x4 car. Any radio should be better than the STX2.

I wouldn't worry about a gyro on a 4x4 car. Any radio should be better than the STX2.

I have to ask why you feel this way about the Gyro. Granted it is still new to me, and I am running it fairly low but at my local indoor track it improved my lap times by about 2.7 seconds (average), I would believe that at the outdoor tracks it would be an even greater benefit as they are not as well groomed. As for bashing, it may even really provide more linear drive. and you can go from zero to one hundred on the stabilization.

Like I said, I am no expert on this stuff and I am definitely not trying to be confrontational, just wanting to learn why others may feel it is not a good investment (granted it is the cost of a set of tires beyond a non-gyro receiver).

I have to ask why you feel this way about the Gyro. Granted it is still new to me, and I am running it fairly low but at my local indoor track it improved my lap times by about 2.7 seconds (average), I would believe that at the outdoor tracks it would be an even greater benefit as they are not as well groomed. As for bashing, it may even really provide more linear drive. and you can go from zero to one hundred on the stabilization.

Like I said, I am no expert on this stuff and I am definitely not trying to be confrontational, just wanting to learn why others may feel it is not a good investment (granted it is the cost of a set of tires beyond a non-gyro receiver).

I’m not a track guy. I’m a speed runner and a basher. For me, on my speed run vehicles, using a gyro ended up working against me. Any slight vibration would make the gyro correct, which induced another correction. The effect is similar to a tank knocker on a motorcycle. If I turned the gain down to a point where this effect was gone, so was any sign of a gyro at all. Picking up the RC and moving it produced zero steering. Turning it up to a point where the gyro action was minimal again produced the undesired tank knocker effect at about 70mph. I tried two brands of gyros and both had the same outcome. For a basher I can’t imagine how it could help. Especially a 4x4.

A Gyro can really transform a lot of vehicles when bashing due to the increased stability but when you think about it, it is a crutch.. you wont really learn how to handle them if the gyro is doing half the work.
I find it great for drifting but if I was even half serious about racing in the future (where they are illegal..) I'd switch it off and instantly start learning tons more about driving them properly.

At 140 its a bit more than a little....lol But having both, I think the GT5 is a far better radio for the money.
I guess the price went up, I just got one from Amain for $110 using a $10 coupon code. So that's only $30 difference, which I feel is small enough to go from Flysky to Futaba.

I could only find them at 140. But, I would still buy the GT5 over the futaba, even if they both were the same price.

4WD tend to drive more in a "Point and shoot" manner, so they don't really need a gyro. If you are tring to drift and are a novice, then they can be handy.

On the track, don't use it. If your goal is to race, then know that using a gyro is an automatic DQ at most all clubs (at least outside the novice class). If your driving is poor enough* that the gyro will save you 2.4s per lap, try turning it off, and dialing your EPA back about 20%, I bet you get better results.

*Not insulting, I am right there with you... LOL Slower is smoother, and smoother is faster. So for poor drivers like us, slower is faster.

Edit - Oh, and back to the origonal question, for a radio - if you are on a very tight budget, The DumboRC x6 is a winner. Basic radio, but has DR on throttle (for kid mode) and the gyro. Plus 3 other channels you may never need... If you are on a budget, but want a radio to control several cars, and with more "racing" settings, (like EPA, Expo, etc), then I like the RC4GS, about $60. I have 2 of the older versions, and they are very good radios.

If you want to spend over $100 on a radio, choices abound, and not many are bad choices. :)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back