Typhon Any way to get the Typhon to handle like a HPI WR8 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I've become interested in the HPI WR8 and was wondering if there's a way to change the handling of the Typhon so it behaves in a similar manner ? I don't want my Typhon to drive like a 'proper' drift car, the WR8 seems to handle kinda halfway between drift and grip.

The WR8 looks like it handles like a cross between a drift car and the Typhon. I don't want a drift car, I want to still be able to drive the Typhon normally, but I'd really like it to handle more like the WR8.
I have the stock wheels/tyres and am currently running S5 compound GRP wheels/tyres on my Typhon (as an aside they're OK but not as good as the Road Crushers on my other RCs). Just now I feel that both the Talion (running Katar's that are so worn they're slicks) and Notorious (Road Crushers) handle better than my Typhon does.

If you skip this video forward to 4 minutes, that'll show it better then my explanation. It drives the same way on tarmac.

I've become interested in the HPI WR8 and was wondering if there's a way to change the handling of the Typhon so it behaves in a similar manner ? I don't want my Typhon to drive like a 'proper' drift car, the WR8 seems to handle kinda halfway between drift and grip.
I'd probably start with tires. Maybe see if the stock tires on that WR8 have more detail regarding rubber compound and tread? I think this would be a fun idea for a Typhon and kinda wish mine would slid a little more on pavement.

The WR8 looks like it handles like a cross between a drift car and the Typhon. I don't want a drift car, I want to still be able to drive the Typhon normally, but I'd really like it to handle more like the WR8.
I have the stock wheels/tyres and am currently running S5 compound GRP wheels/tyres on my Typhon (as an aside they're OK but not as good as the Road Crushers on my other RCs). Just now I feel that both the Talion (running Katar's that are so worn they're slicks) and Notorious (Road Crushers) handle better than my Typhon does.

If you skip this video forward to 4 minutes, that'll show it better then my explanation. It drives the same way on tarmac.
I like the specs on that vehicle and it looks fun to drive. Personally I'd have to have a different body shell. Maybe a muscle car

The stock wheels are 12mm hex. This looks like the stock tyre.
Guess I'll start looking for some 'gymkhana' style tyres on wheels with a 17mm hex.

Ive been using a typhon as a rally car and ive got some fastrax cheap road tyres, took them off the rims and taped then glued them and on grass it hilarious, drives very similar to my wr8 with regard to the balance but over rougher ground,

The rally body really changes the way you drive, aside from that its all stock pinion and running gear except for a savox 1256, on 4s its more fun than 6s as the powers not so mental so the back doesn't go wild,

That sounds interesting. What fastrax tyres did you go for ? Are you still on 17mm wheel hexes ?

They are the fastrax grid iron tyres, they are garbage as they come out of the packet but once taped and glued they are really good but the foams don't last so i got some schumacher foams, gimme 5 mins and ill get pics cos its a bit of effort but worth the effort!

There's the tape and the foams and the fastrax grid iron's.

Attachments

• 20190303_202013.jpg
    20190303_202013.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 23
I strip the wheels off, then clean and sand all surfaces to be glued, cut an accurate strip the same width as the contact area of the tyre, flip it over and lay it sticky side up on the table and with the tyre inside out and finger on the inside i press/roll the tyre over the tape, then stuff the huge foam in cos the stock foam is garbage, leave to settle in and then glue wuth gorilla glue and really watery glue.
Keeps from balloning and makes for some good sideways fun!
I don't run them on tarmac though cos i hate tarmac and i have little self control so damage is inevitable,

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back