Any word on the Traxxas v. Hobbico (Arrma RC) lawsuit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
someone just said in a diff group that traxxas is suing hobbico again over a damn drone? anyone know of this bs

The patent attorneys don't know everything and would take years of research to find anything, so, with minimal research, they award the patent.

You want to see where Traxxis lifted the idea of the suspension? Suspension shown starting at 2:22 in this video

As you can see in this video, the suspension was developed by F1 team Williams a year before Traxxis ever sold their first RC car. Traxxis copied the 1992/93 Williams F1 suspension. If I were a Judge and knew this, I would void that patent.

1yzc2mD.jpg

Last edited:
I was under the impression they ripped it off from Tamiya

Maybe so, but one thing is for sure, the design was copied from the 1993 Williams F1 car, so no toy company should be able to patent this 25 year old suspension design.

I was thinking that F1 / Indy had been using that style of suspension since like the '70's?

But - Traxxas managed to get a patent. So they have the right to Sue. Arrma / Hobbico / Horizon Hobbies has the right to defend themselves. The silly thing is they could probably win quick and easy, except for the FACT that lawyers exist to Lawyer, and even simple patent law cases can drag on for months to years, all while the Lawyers in question are billing $250-$500/hr. IMHO, in most Patent Trolling cases (which I think this is) the goal is to grind down your opponent, and force them to settle, simply because they can't afford to pay the lawyer's bill needed to beat you.

HPI and Hobbico, when sued, got all offended, and tried to go "Captain America" on them - (always do the right thing, no matter the cost) and paid the price (Death by Lawyer). Horizon Hobbies (IMHO) understood the game (pay the Laywers or pay Traxxas but you are gonna pay either way), and paid Traxxas off.

My .02

You're absolutely correct, especially patent trolling. One would think, armed with the knowledge that Traxxas didn't invent anything, the Judge would void the patent and throw the case out.

I've quite a bit of (TM) experience with the Patent/Trademark offices in DC, and know the USPTO lawyers are made up of mostly law students fresh out of college on their first job. These people don't know nothing about engineering or science, yet are left to make decisions what patents and trademarks to issue. Which is why there are tons of patent/trademark cases before federal Judges right now, whom also know nothing about science and engineering and rely on "expert wittnesses" to decide cases. Had the USPTO Attorney known that Traxxas actually copied an existing suspension system (and an old one at that), the patent would never have been issued in the first place. IMO.

well that is very sad, when one company controls all aspects of the rc market, and i think they want to take over the world, It should just be about fun, but when corporate greed takes over we all lose..!!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back