Any word on the Traxxas v. Hobbico (Arrma RC) lawsuit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst thing about Traxxas is they held the court case in Eastern Texas. where 90% of all patent cases are served.. in a lil tiny courthouse.. They do it this way since most defenders don't want to travel to battle.. from the law i've read and a real lawyer could chime in here.. normally the accused gets to have the case held on their turf.. not the other way around.. i'm not sure why Hobbico didn't move the case back to Illinois rather than Texas. I have PACER case access to the Traxxas/Hobbico lawsuit.. ill go look it up to see if any new documents have been filed.

I see Firelands group has settled with Traxxas.. Firelands is a company created by Gil Losi jr and hell i forget his name the previous President of Horizon Hobbies.. they settled for patent infringement for 1.2 Million.. but NOTHING about Arrma.. i would say its not settled. I uploaded the actual case files if you want to read them. Enjoy.

Attachments

• tr2.JPG
    tr2.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 68
  • tra1.JPG
    tra1.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 64
  • tra3.JPG
    tra3.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 64
  • tra4.JPG
    tra4.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 64
  • traxass-firelands.pdf
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 108
well that is very sad, when one company controls all aspects of the rc market, and i think they want to take over the world, It should just be about fun, but when corporate greed takes over we all lose..!!!!!
angif-hit-the-nail-on-the-head.gif

I see Firelands group has settled with Traxxas.. Firelands is a company created by Gil Losi jr and hell i forget his name the previous President of Horizon Hobbies.. they settled for patent infringement for 1.2 Million.. but NOTHING about Arrma.. i would say its not settled. I uploaded the actual case files if you want to read them. Enjoy.
Those documents are from 2016 from the looks of it.

I contacted Arrma and this is the letter i received this morning..................Its all sad for the north american market, we all lose ...

Thank you for contacting ARRMA.

As you are aware we are not permitted to sell the NERO line in North America due to existing patents.

We don’t have any news on this platform at the moment.

Please keep in touch with our distributors and the ARRMA website for news of the latest ARRMA developments.

Kind regards,

ARRMA HQ

angif-hit-the-nail-on-the-head.gif

Those documents are from 2016 from the looks of it.
Lol these are from 2016 ... you might want to get your eyes checked since they are date stamped at top with may 3rd 2018 ... these are direct from my PACER account... Arrma has been making that comment for years ... I know the designer of the Fazon and the chief designer for Arrma and they say the same thing... they are on a NDA ... They can’t say anything.

The bellcrank has been in use for over 100 years. And has been applied to full-size auto suspensions for many decades, nearly as long. The problem here is that Traxxas was somehow allowed to obtain a patent on something that's been in common use for a century. This unreasonable patenting has been going on for quite a while. I'm waiting for the day someone patents flip-flops, or keys or something else mundane..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellcrank

I wonder when the lawsuits against auto mfg's that currently use pushrod bellcrank suspensions will begin... Hell, that pushrod/bell crank idea has been in use for overhead valve engines for quite a few years also...

The lawsuit was settled in June Hobbico has to pay around 13 million to traxxas and must surrender all leftover stock parts of the lawsuit to be demolished.

Side note Arrma is back in stock on Towerhobbies parts supplies are being ramped back up.

The lawsuit was settled in June Hobbico has to pay around 13 million to traxxas and must surrender all leftover stock parts of the lawsuit to be demolished.
Interesting - where did you hear this? By June, I had thought Hobbico had ceased to exist, and Arrma (and all stocks of cars and parts) were owned by Horizon Hobby

I have PACER court document access.. i read it .. and most of us over on Arrma Army facebook group have been following this court case since they Arrma filed Chapter 11 with the rest of Hobbico.. Here you go.. You can read all 9 pages from the Settlement hearing yourself..
http://upshotservices.s3.amazonaws....d7f7/56d5601a-6358-4a64-86e0-9fa103b57b2a.pdf If you have any more questions let me know and ill post more documents.

Thanks for the link!

I do follow the Arrma Arrmy group, but a lot goes on over there, and I miss a lot. :)
The thing I hate the most about Facebook groups is that half of the posts that people make get missed, and all the good info gets lost in the rest of the cluster ****.

Is it possible any of the Nero line of rc's would be released in the future? Like with or without the aspects that "were patent protected"? And to that note which parts were the problems?

Is it possible any of the Nero line of rc's would be released in the future? Like with or without the aspects that "were patent protected"? And to that note which parts were the problems?

Last I knew Horizon and Arrma had to turn over all and any existing stock of any of the patent violating products to Traxxas to be destroyed and the "official" word from Horizon was they have no plans to bring back the Nero platform. So I am guessing no.

• Integrated Center Point Steering Mechanism for a Model Vehicle
  • Protective Enclosure for Model Vehicle(waterproof receiver box)
  • Vehicle Suspension for a Model Vehicle
  • Vehicle Mounted Coil Spring and Shock Assembly

I sent an email to Arrma regarding the Nero. The response I received was to the point. The Nero will not be reproduced and any stock that they have on hand is all that is available for replacement parts

Somehow I feel it's all my fault. If I never bought a Big Rock over a Summit... I feel the Summit would be the model that would be discontinued.

I have a nack for re-entering the hobby with a model that will soon be discontinued for some reason or another... and end up with an expensive pile of non-serviceable plastic.

I need to stock up on some things while I can! (axle pins for sure!)

Somehow I feel it's all my fault. If I never bought a Big Rock over a Summit... I feel the Summit would be the model that would be discontinued.

I have a nack for re-entering the hobby with a model that will soon be discontinued for some reason or another... and end up with an expensive pile of non-serviceable plastic.

I need to stock up on some things while I can! (axle pins for sure!)
The Summit has been listed as out of stock since January. General consensus is that it has been discontinued :(
https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/summit

So every time I read more about this case, the pure feeling of frustration sets in. Personally owning 2 Traxxas vehicles, I understand the lack of durability of them, and went into them knowing it. The thing that kills me is Traxxas stole half their ideas from Tamiya, and the vehicles they created. There is no way they should have been allowed to patent, and then bully other in the biz like this. The only thing this is going to do is create a race to patent parts, and will end up with 2 large companies in the end. All of the brands will end up being consolidated because of patent purchases, and buyouts. This is bad for us. It stifles innovation, and sets a across the board cost that will see no competition. This will not happen overnight, but in the next few years this will come to fruition because of this lawsuit. I hope in the end that Traxxas ends up eating its own shorts because of this, but I doubt it. My LHC just started to stock Arrma, and the guys that work there are not happy about it. So i politely argue with them over build quality, and they claim Traxxas is easier to work on. I laugh and asked them how many X-Maxx's they have worked on, and that ends the arguement.

Support your LHC, but push for more Arrma parts and support. I am now on a Traxxas boycott, and it stinks because the X-Maxx is a awesome truck, and my Slash 4x4 has been bullet-proofed. I will no longer buy Traxxas parts, or vehicles. Keep in mind, your wallet dictates the industry.

Just got the 2018 tower hobbies magazine. There's a section I'm going to quote, kinda long but here it is.

Our goal in acquiring Hobbico's RC business is to combine the very best of both Hobbico and Horizon. With that goal there are changes. We are approaching these changes with you the customer in mind. We are going to provide you with the best brands and products in RC along with outstanding service and support. We also are working to make this transition seamless to you. There is a lot going on to improve and to consolidate things like our combined operations but our goal is for you to not see or feel those things. What you will be noticing are some enhancements at Tower. Recently Tower has struggled to have products in stock. It may take a little time but you will see the availability of products and improve. We know that many items have been out of stock and we are fixing that. As part of putting together the best of both companies we are also looking at a lot of brands and products. We are focused on selling the products that you want to buy. Many brands such as axial, Arrma realflight topflight and flyzone will continue. There are some smaller brands that have strong products or product lineups and we will continue to sell and support those products. Those products may become part of another larger brand but the products will continue to be available to you. End quote

So every time I read more about this case, the pure feeling of frustration sets in. Personally owning 2 Traxxas vehicles, I understand the lack of durability of them, and went into them knowing it. The thing that kills me is Traxxas stole half their ideas from Tamiya, and the vehicles they created. There is no way they should have been allowed to patent, and then bully other in the biz like this. The only thing this is going to do is create a race to patent parts, and will end up with 2 large companies in the end. All of the brands will end up being consolidated because of patent purchases, and buyouts. This is bad for us. It stifles innovation, and sets a across the board cost that will see no competition. This will not happen overnight, but in the next few years this will come to fruition because of this lawsuit. I hope in the end that Traxxas ends up eating its own shorts because of this, but I doubt it. My LHC just started to stock Arrma, and the guys that work there are not happy about it. So i politely argue with them over build quality, and they claim Traxxas is easier to work on. I laugh and asked them how many X-Maxx's they have worked on, and that ends the arguement.

Support your LHC, but push for more Arrma parts and support. I am now on a Traxxas boycott, and it stinks because the X-Maxx is a awesome truck, and my Slash 4x4 has been bullet-proofed. I will no longer buy Traxxas parts, or vehicles. Keep in mind, your wallet dictates the industry.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=3067295&share_fid=8309&share_type=t

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back