Any word on the Traxxas v. Hobbico (Arrma RC) lawsuit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously other brands have used waterproof enclosures before, why has Traxxas gone after only a few companies like Arrma? Is it just because they see them as a threat?

Although I've only been actively involved when I was a kid (late 80's/early 90's - Tamiya Black Foot & Midnight Pumkin and Kyosho Big Boss) and now just recently getting back into it being a little older and having some free time. (Just bought a Granite as it reminds me of my old MTs, and trying to acquire a few more vehicles). Traxxas has always rubbed me the wrong way! Never could put a finger on it, but this makes me mad, and guarantees I'll never buy any of their products!

Obviously other brands have used waterproof enclosures before, why has Traxxas gone after only a few companies like Arrma? Is it just because they see them as a threat?

Bingo. Traxxas has a few generic patents that (like the box with a gasket, and 'decorative' coil over shocks) that could apply to 90% of RC cars. Would they be upheld in court? Probably not - but that is the problem with Patent law. You must get to the end of the process to get these patents thrown out. Until you get to the end of the case, the plaintiff i.e. the one sueing i.e. Traxxas gets all the favors of the motions (i.e. motion to bar selling of Arrma kits). Traxxas is smart enough to NOT sue anyone with enough money to see the case thru, because they know they will lose. So they sue companies like Hobbico, HPI, and now Hellion that are on the brink. Give them one more huge bill (paying lawyers) or force them to quit selling profitable products, and drive them over the edge...

Don't forget Traxxas going after Redcat Terremoto v1 1/8 scale and terremoto 10 v1 1/10 scale over them having dual servos.
It forced them to redesign a whole new steering system and re-kit whole ocean containers worth of product before they could be sold to consumers.

Reason #48372 why I hate traxxas and will never buy ANYTHING they sell

Don't forget Traxxas going after Redcat Terremoto v1 1/8 scale and terremoto 10 v1 1/10 scale over them having dual servos.
It forced them to redesign a whole new steering system and re-kit whole ocean containers worth of product before they could be sold to consumers.
I never knew about this one. It seems as much BS as going after someone for having lay down shocks....

I think Arrma should patent tires being round and then sue them. Maybe patent putting a motor in the vehicle to power it. I would say patent using metal for any part of the vehicle, but that wouldn't affect them.

I never knew about this one. It seems as much BS as going after someone for having lay down shocks....

I think Arrma should patent tires being round and then sue them. Maybe patent putting a motor in the vehicle to power it. I would say patent using metal for any part of the vehicle, but that wouldn't affect them.

The sad part is it completely compromised the new model and the number 1 complaint for the v2's are the ridiculous and problematic steering setup they have..... because of traxxas

V1 was nice and clean with the layout ; almost zero steering slop and plenty of strength
IMG_7247.jpg

Their single servo redesign per traxxas lawsuit....

IMG_7246.jpg

It is a shame since the V2 steering redesign is kind of a mess.

Best regards,
Brian

It is a shame since the V2 steering redesign is kind of a mess.

Best regards,
Brian

It was either redesign it, cost be damned, or scrap both terremoto models altogether.

Glad they threw the middle finger to Traxxas and pushed ahead with it anyway, because there's a relatively easy fix to eliminate most of the slop in the current setup. It still looks wonky but it works so much better now.
IMG_5780.JPG
IMG_7248.PNG

Alright.... enough about that.

Back on topic...

Traxxas sucks

In all seriousness does anyone see any of the other major players ever suing Traxxas??

Seems like if I was a major (or minor for that matter) company in the business I would be gettting a patent for anything at this point. Just ready to take down Traxxas at their next new release!

Not likely.
Traxxas appears to be the only major RC player who'd rather use lawsuits and expensive drawn out litigation to take down their competitors, as opposed to designing and selling a better product.

In all seriousness does anyone see any of the other major players ever suing Traxxas??

Seems like if I was a major (or minor for that matter) company in the business I would be gettting a patent for anything at this point. Just ready to take down Traxxas at their next new release!
But - the first rule of Patent Law - you gotta have $$$$$$$$ to play. So no small player can attack the big dog. And like it or not, Traxxas is the big dog.

You gotta wonder... What would the person who created the first traxxas model think about how their company is attacking other like minded individuals.

Like... as an inventor or tinkerer... he'd be basically attacking himself. I doubt that guy laying out holes in sheets of aluminum, milling away at plastic and creating something from nothing ever had the dream to one day LIMIT creativity in an industry he's dying to be a part of. I think it's sad. Especially to have created a company that now holds patents on things they did not invent themselves.

It was either redesign it, cost be damned, or scrap both terremoto models altogether.

Glad they threw the middle finger to Traxxas and pushed ahead with it anyway, because there's a relatively easy fix to eliminate most of the slop in the current setup. It still looks wonky but it works so much better now.
View attachment 20736 View attachment 20737

Alright.... enough about that.

Back on topic...

Traxxas sucks

Did you make that part yourself? If you did, I'm impressed.

Best regards,
Brian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back