Anybody running 40T and above pinion with a 39 spur?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Packer

Reaction score
Haven’t seen anyone running the 39 spur with a large pinion for the Kraton 8s EXB was wondering what anyone’s experience with that gearing?

I have seen 1:1 ratios. and even Over Gearing it. (overdriving) But the chosen motor will determine whether that's feasible IMHO. Probably with 1100kv and lower perhaps.:unsure:
Others I am sure, will chime in with a better opinion in regards.

Last edited:
1:1 ratio is when pinion and spur are equal. When the pinion is larger than the spur, you are "over driving" it. (41/39) (y)
Not a bad thing necessarily. Can work. It's just a term. Proper torque, speed, and maintaining good motor temps is the objective. A good balance of all of these. What works for you based on the chosen motor and voltage (lipo) 47T spur may work. Trial and error dictates. 8s rigs are unique in that the spur is really the 3rd gear as in a 3 gear transmission. So overdriving is usually done by some. The spur becomes a reduction gear.

Last edited:
1050kv with xlx2 no fans running 39/35 spur to pinion I’m seeing 160f motor temps. That was at 60 degree weather for me also. Motor temps are something to keep an eye on

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back