Big Rock Anybody running a Dusty Motors dust cover? UPDATED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22-250Fan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 6s
I got the Dusty Motors dust cover from T-Bone Racing in just a couple of days. It came with plenty of velcro, a couple of DM stickers and a cover. I got it put on today and took it to the spot. Dry, small gravel that usually caused a stop and shake the rocks out every couple of minutes. I did donuts as tight as it would, all 4 wheels slinging rocks and dirt every where, hit the ramp and nosed it in the first time and NO ROCKS in the steering. I did get one stuck in a shock that had me thinking I broke something though. I ran a full 3s pack threw it. It was as clean as it was when I left. My only concern is going to be the heat this summer. I forgot my temp gun but I could touch the motor and it was fairly hot. I don't care, I got to run it and not have to mess with it.

I took my BRCC out today to show off for my cousins with their Traxxis trucks and about every 5 minutes, I was stopped pulling the body and digging out rocks. I made a little cover to go between the servo and mud guard out of a CD cover but I've decided that most of the rocks get kicked up under the body and get funneled down in the frame when you are hammering on it coming out of a turn. I thought about taking a piece of alum. screen wire and making a cover to go over the frame. I'm gonna figure something out one way or another. This is the only complaint I have with this truck. I've seen the Dusty Motors Dust Covers and was wondering if anybody tried one yet?

Last edited:
I took my BRCC out today to show off for my cousins with their Traxxis trucks and about every 5 minutes, I was stopped pulling the body and digging out rocks. I made a little cover to go between the servo and mud guard out of a CD cover but I've decided that most of the rocks get kicked up under the body and get funneled down in the frame when you are hammering on it coming out of a turn. I thought about taking a piece of alum. screen wire and making a cover to go over the frame. I'm gonna figure something out one way or another. This is the only complaint I have with this truck. I've seen the Dusty Motors Dust Covers and was wondering if anybody tried one yet?
I've been waiting a while for this question. I have the sexiest answer in RC. Pantyhose! I've been out in the snow this season, and the internals hardly see water! Cut my first cover off today, only because the "runs" on the bottom were not to my liking. One cheap dollar store pair, can make four to six covers. Cut off the feet and the tops, and use the leg part. Breathable for air flow, but dense enough to keep almost everything else out. The Traxxas boys might laugh, but you'll be the one that gets the last laugh. $3 for 4 to 6 covers, no cumbersome zippers or velcro, and you just roll it back to do any work. Nothing to lose by giving it a try.

Attachments

• 20181223_133518.jpg
    20181223_133518.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 607
  • 20181223_132945.jpg
    20181223_132945.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 599
  • 20181214_003301.jpg
    20181214_003301.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 611
Sayyy. My GF has a pair with the seam running up the back. Maybe I better leave those alone and go to the Dollar store. I cut one of the pockets off the seat cover on my truck but it was a little small and got wrapped up in the drive shaft. I'll give this a try as well. Thanks for the idea.

Sayyy. My GF has a pair with the seam running up the back. Maybe I better leave those alone and go to the Dollar store. I cut one of the pockets off the seat cover on my truck but it was a little small and got wrapped up in the drive shaft. I'll give this a try as well. Thanks for the idea.
Yeah, bad idea on using the gf's. I've seen what my wife pays, and that would be ridiculous. They stay in place really well, and don't touch or interfere with any moving parts. Cut them a few inches longer than the area you want to cover, stretch them over, then poke small holes that you can stretch over the body mounts. Hardest thing you're going to deal with, is the conversation you'll have with your gf, trying to explain that you need pantyhose for your rc truck. She'll get over it though. Tell her it's 2019, and she shouldn't judge you :LOL:

I've been waiting a while for this question. I have the sexiest answer in RC. Pantyhose! I've been out in the snow this season, and the internals hardly see water! Cut my first cover off today, only because the "runs" on the bottom were not to my liking. One cheap dollar store pair, can make four to six covers. Cut off the feet and the tops, and use the leg part. Breathable for air flow, but dense enough to keep almost everything else out. The Traxxas boys might laugh, but you'll be the one that gets the last laugh. $3 for 4 to 6 covers, no cumbersome zippers or velcro, and you just roll it back to do any work. Nothing to lose by giving it a try.
That material won’t be very heat resistant and I could see that melting and making a huge mess. No problems with heat yet?

That material won’t be very heat resistant and I could see that melting and making a huge mess. No problems with heat yet?
Doesn't get close enough to anything that's hot. Stretching it out and the fact it sits high because of the tower in the center, it comes no where near contact with anything that "might" melt it. If a Dusty motors cover was to tear, it would do a lot more damage. I ran the last one I made, for more than a dozen runs. It never came loose, only had runs in it, and the areas where I made holes to go over the mounts, expanded a bit. I made sure that it was stretched when I put in on, and before I made the holes. Might be different in 100 degree weather, but up here, it only gets that warm for about 3 weeks in the summer. That will be my first, true hot weather test.

I recently picked one up, and then picked up extra velcro so I could use it on more than 1 truck. Pricey for what it is, and I find I don't use the zipper, just pull one side off and flip over. It does it's job for sure though.

I had one on my baby bandit and it worked a treat, stopped all the dust and stones getting kicked up into the battery tray and surrounding areas but.... Screw buying one for my new car I'm using pantyhose/tights ? now i have seen that idea.

I bought some of these today they look pretty cool but i now think you could attain the same effect with lycra gloves and cut the fingers off lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-10-15-27-59.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-10-15-27-59.png
    359.9 KB · Views: 243
Well, today I tried to swipe a pair of my GF's hose. She told me how much they cost(damn) and since I didn't want to go to Dollar General to get some cheap ones, I had to come up with something else. Found it. Looking threw my turkey hunting stuff, I found a old warm weather face cover. I cut the strap that goes over your head to keep it from slipping down and trimmed a little off the bottom end and I think it's gonna work. And it's a MANLY camo color to boot. Plus I've got about 10 of them. I'm still gonna try the hose though.

What size did you use lol ?... okay okay but for real what size.

I’ve used shower caps before. Found a fabric one that is used for sleeping. Why I do not know. Anyway it breaths and works much better than the plastic ones. Bout $2. I have since installed the Dusty covers and they too work great.

XL. Large works, but takes a little more savy to slide it on, if you know what I mean. You can use sections of the legs by cutting of the end of the toes, and if you cut it right, you can use the tops too. Make sure to only cut a little longer than you need. Too long, and they'll sag. To short, and they won't last as long from being over stretched to the body mounts. Bet you never thought you'd be having this conversation on an rc forum ;)

This is a new one I made today using the "top" of the panty hose. It's not as snug on the ends as the leg sections of the panty hose, but has a thicker band on one side, that will probably hold up a bit better around the body posts. Stick with the legs for now. Honestly, after my last few bashes in the ice, snow and slush, the inside of the Notorious still looks brand new. This is going to increase the lifespan of the bearings for sure. I can still use the one I took off, as the only part that looks beat up was the area under the chassis. The top still looked mint.

Attachments

• 20190314_001547.jpg
    20190314_001547.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 20190314_001533.jpg
    20190314_001533.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 182
I recently picked one up, and then picked up extra velcro so I could use it on more than 1 truck. Pricey for what it is, and I find I don't use the zipper, just pull one side off and flip over. It does it's job for sure though.
What size cover do you use? I don't know how much difference there is in the BRCC and the 4x4 Mega.

What size cover do you use? I don't know how much difference there is in the BRCC and the 4x4 Mega.
I grabbed the universal M+. I have it set up for a LWB (same chassis as the BRCC) and a SWB (granite chassis). It is just a hair short for the lwb, but I just leave tha gap at the back. It seems like it's easier to deal with a little short than a little long. Sorry it took so long to reply, I missed the bell somehow.

I grabbed the universal M+. I have it set up for a LWB (same chassis as the BRCC) and a SWB (granite chassis). It is just a hair short for the lwb, but I just leave tha gap at the back. It seems like it's easier to deal with a little short than a little long. Sorry it took so long to reply, I missed the bell somehow.
Good deal. I'll order the M+ today. That's the one I was thinking it would be after measuring a couple of dozen times. I used the panty-hose the other day and it was the first time I got to run a full pack down without having to dig gravel out of the steering. It got pretty shredded up on the bottom but still works. Soybean stalks and tree branches kinda put the "runs" to it. LOL. Thanks for the info.

So the M+ is perfect for the granite then?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back