Anyone changed the gearing on Arrma Granite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Wes

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Has anyone changed up the regular gearing on arrma granite. Any good results? Im thinking about going down a pinion gear because of the weight of a new bumper and wheelie bar plus a new .6 body. I lost about 5 min off an hour run because of it. No heat issues still around 130~140. I will try a 5000mah instead of the 2000 before i do mess with the gears. i have had only one issue with the gears and that is my transmission became sloppy after my first few mud runs. Sent it back to arrma and they fixed it within 3 days. very nice! Has anyone played with granite gearing. Im sure the 15t cant take much more but a brushless could.

Very, good question! The granite blx I have, came with 13t pinion & 57t spur gear. It also came with optional high speed gearing, 15t pinion & 54t spur gear, I had too order pads though. Mine has the, 0.8m gearing type.
What type of gearing came with your granite, 48p, 32p, or 0.8m?
I do know, that lowering pinion tooth count, does lower temps & adds torque. So, you might want too adjust slipper clutch accordingly! I my self have not, changed my gearing in the granite, yet. Doing so, will also take away from top end speed, but get you off the line quicker, and wheelie easier.

Last edited:
My granite mega came stock with 15t pinoin and an 87t 48p..if I go with a better brushless i will probably switch the out to somthing like the blx for better speed controll.. guessin somthing like 13/57 so I can get test out the speed before putting in the recomended gearing for 65mph

Yah, the 13/57 gearing is pretty fast! Being that I just run mine around the yard, I think installing the 15/54 gearing, would probably get the motor & esc too hot? It states, too only run the high speed gearing on totally flat tarmac. For general bashing, grass, and hills, would be bad. I'd hate to have too buy a $80.00 replacement blx motor, due too my negligence! I've been thinking about going down a few teeth on the pinion myself. Maybe a 11t 0.8m, lower my temps.

That would be about the only way to do that. No room for heatsink stuff.
yeah grass is a little bit of a challenge. you could also change the temp by the tires you have on it.. if you went down a tooth on the pinon and got some sc tires instead of the dboots your experience in the grass would probably be easier on the motor and you would get a runtime increase as well

Thanks, y'all!
Would it hurt to use, 32p pinion with 0.8mm spur gear, since their close? Also, which size tires are considered sct?

Last edited:
So the granite bls has a gearing of 18pinion and 87spur @48p and a 2pole 4000kvbrushless... right now im using a 15pinion from the mega and the original 87spur and a 2pole 3900kv brushless... could i be undergeared and losing performance? (or is that just a small difference) The bls is said to be getting 35+ (think i seen 37mph top) on 2s.(i can achive that on 3s) Im running around 30 on 2s. I don't really care to gain much more speed from this cheap motor just want it to last untill i can buy myself a 4pole that will handel 3s a lot better. Any thoughts if i should gear up for some reason?

Darren the BLS has a gearing of 22 pinion and 87 spur @48p.

This are the consequences of the different size pinions:
  • Smaller pinion = Slower top speed, faster acceleration, less heat, more runtime
  • Bigger pinion = faster top speed, slower acceleration, more heat, less runtime

Darren the BLS has a gearing of 22 pinion and 87 spur @48p.

This are the consequences of the different size pinions:
  • Smaller pinion = Slower top speed, faster acceleration, less heat, more runtime
  • Bigger pinion = faster top speed, slower acceleration, more heat, less runtime
Im aware or that. but with that in mind 2 things
http://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/granite/mega/story-board this says the gearing is 87/18 for the bls and 87/15 for the mega... if its 22 or 18 tho the point is these are larger pinions, and im running almost the same motor as the bls.
If it is 18 im probably not too bad of shape(made them just a little shorter and less speedy more torque), but if it is something like 22t pinion i am probably way undergeared and don't reconize that because i like to drive slow a lot. However thinking that 87/18 is probably the correct gearing. im wondering if there are any signs besides heat to signify a undergeared trasmission with a brushless motor attached....

Sorry Darren I read the one for the Fury and not the one for the Granite. It looks like you are under-geared by Arrma BLS standards. It should be 18/87.

So i went 3s tonight!
Ohhh man. There is no "slow" when your on 3s...i tried! But found myself across the street at an empty lot going 40ish and driving on the empty street no heat issues for about 15 min...

Anyway i screwed somthing up#%@!?

In about 30 seconds. i heard a sharp high pitched grinding noise, from what i thought first was the spur(spur was fun also the pinion), followed by what was clanging and cranking sound, from what i thought was the transmission, accompanied by powerloss coming from what i think was the differiental..... so yeah

No school tomorrow, lol

So anyway i checked it later and it seems as if its still will work but is just a lot louder.... im going to put some new axels in it and see it thats my issue.(hopefully)
It still doesn't seem to explain the terrible sounds i was hearing tho?

Anyone happen to have this experience

Just happened to look at it one last time and somthing is clanking inside the gearbox when i spin the wheels and the tires get stuck about 1 time every 2 or 3 rotations....

If i do upgrade my gearbox i wanna make sure it can handel 3s well.

Kinda on the fence of either sending it to arrma again or asking if they have a transmission matience kit they can send me. Any opinions on wether or not to send it in or do it myself?

Just happened to look at it one last time and somthing is clanking inside the gearbox when i spin the wheels and the tires get stuck about 1 time every 2 or 3 rotations....

If i do upgrade my gearbox i wanna make sure it can handel 3s well.

Kinda on the fence of either sending it to arrma again or asking if they have a transmission matience kit they can send me. Any opinions on wether or not to send it in or do it myself?

Well, if you do it yourself, what's the most it could cost, $20, $30, maybe $40? (without shipping) It could be a $10 fix. If it states that your granite, can run on 3s, then the warranty should be valid. But, depending on which model you have, will determine which transmission gears they will install. And, having to wait on them to fix it when they want or can. I know you'll have to wait either way, but if you know which parts you need, at least you'll know how long it will be before your up and running again.
Hope this helps....

Checked the slipper...transmission is definitely messed up... leaning toward sending it in this time...soon imma need somthing better tho

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back