Kraton Anyone else a bit disappointed with the "new" 6s rigs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
Maybe it's just me but seems they really made minor changes at best for the new rigs..... Please chime in everyone love to hear everyone's input and thoughts!!

Some upgrades like when the V4 came out with the sliding motor mount were all about the customer and ease of use.
In this case it seems their "upgrades" were to reduce warranty claims for Horizon hobby. Still a slightly more reliable RC is a good thing...

One of my biggest issues is they did not address the diffs at all which has been a huge issue on all 6s rigs. And I would bet is 70%+ of warranty claims on the 6s line.

I feel the ditching of the STX2 was well needed. Now we get a much better radio with an rx that we can bind to our higher end Spektrum radios.
One of my biggest issues is they did not address the diffs at all which has been a huge issue on all 6s rigs. And I would bet is 70%+ of warranty claims on the 6s line.
What's wrong with the diffs?

For $20 (at least in the U.S), I'm happy with the upgrades. It's great to see sealed bearings being used now. Not that they are difficult to install, but tearing everything apart is a pain in the arse. The use of the SR315 allows an upgrade path to the more advanced Spektrum DSMR radios. Also like the SAFE-D first input gears which eliminates the need for red Loctite.

@slick2500 well considering in the first 3 packs on my V4 ring gears went and then the fact everything needs shimmed inside and out to have a reliable diff...

I beef all mine up with aftermarket chassis/towers/braces anyways, so I'm ok with v4's. I pretty much have one of every 6s rig at this point so I'm good with what I have anyways, but I'm building a Mojave and hope to snag the black exb body. that will be the only thing exb about it hahahaha.

A better radio was needed. The shock tower and A-arms updated to the EXB-geometry is a nice update. The new updated chassis looks good also. Spektrum electronics, Safe-D pinion and rubber sealed bearings are all nice additions as well.

I think these updates are quite nice and worthy of a V5.

My feeling is that the revised Talion and Outcast that will be lauched next year will probably give us an idea of what to expect for the Kraton V6.

I think the updates were decent! Particularly the radio (finally!) ? The only thing that I am a little underwhelmed with are the same paint schemes on the same bodies. I would have liked at least a recolour for most of them, like 3S V3's had

And the PRICE! ? They're now a full £100 more than what they were last year ? I bet most of the cost increase is because of the smart system, although I can see it being justifiable if the smart tech was made the most out of

I agree also with the body's, same exact style and colors? I would think that would be a cheap and easy change to make for the new line?

@slick2500 well considering in the first 3 packs on my V4 ring gears went and then the fact everything needs shimmed inside and out to have a reliable diff...
Oops forgot the smiley face emoji there. It's not so much that they need shimming, my gripe is that everything is so small for a 1/8th scale. And they aren't even a true spiral cut gear.
As an example, here is an Arrma diff sitting above a HB Racing diff. Everything from the HB diffs just makes the Arrmas look so puny.
1sehzY0.jpg

This is the straight cut HB ring gear compared to the Arrma spiral cut.
IFfq7kB.jpg

m5I9UK1.jpg

20200203_203328.jpg

I feel like a $20 us increase is impressive seeing as how many improvements / enhancements are included in the V5.

I am however underwhelmed with the rest in here with the same bodies...

The radio alone was worth the 20$..

I also think that (and this is just my opinion don’t come after me lol) shimming and maintenance alike is part of the hobby. Now, do I think that the diffs should have as many issues as they do? Eh... maybe not.. but I also feel like if everything was made with super tight tolerances... we wouldn’t be paying $570 for a kraton, it’d be more like $1500 ??‍♂️

again, I’ll reiterate the fact that I don’t think the 6s diffs should pop as easy as they seem to. I also think some folks don’t take the time to properly set up a rig before running it. Even though these rigs are RTR and should be ready to rock out of the box, if they were what we all wanted em to be right out of the box I think they’d be much more expensive.. then the company wouldn’t sell as many, making less profit.. and so on and so forth.

In summery, I feel like the V5 has a good offering of new stuff to justify the V5 designation. After all if they gave us all of it there wouldn’t be nearly as many new versions ??

Also wish a heatsink/fan was added to help with motor temps as everyone ends up adding them to keep temps down anyways
I think they didn't add the Heat Sink fan because it only runs a 12t, wheres the new 3s line has a 15t.
I feel like a $20 us increase is impressive seeing as how many improvements / enhancements are included in the V5.

I am however underwhelmed with the rest in here with the same bodies...

The radio alone was worth the 20$..

I also think that (and this is just my opinion don’t come after me lol) shimming and maintenance alike is part of the hobby. Now, do I think that the diffs should have as many issues as they do? Eh... maybe not.. but I also feel like if everything was made with super tight tolerances... we wouldn’t be paying $570 for a kraton, it’d be more like $1500 ??‍♂️

again, I’ll reiterate the fact that I don’t think the 6s diffs should pop as easy as they seem to. I also think some folks don’t take the time to properly set up a rig before running it. Even though these rigs are RTR and should be ready to rock out of the box, if they were what we all wanted em to be right out of the box I think they’d be much more expensive.. then the company wouldn’t sell as many, making less profit.. and so on and so forth.

In summery, I feel like the V5 has a good offering of new stuff to justify the V5 designation. After all if they gave us all of it there wouldn’t be nearly as many new versions ??
Wait what do I need to watch out for with the Diffs?

How come they didn't update the Outcast? It's the same as the Notorious sans the body, right?
My feeling is that the revised Talion and Outcast that will be lauched next year will probably give us an idea of what to expect for the Kraton V6.

Why wouldn't they update the Outcast to a V5? Isn't it the same as the Notorious, with a different body?

Back