Anyone else do this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David941

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
OK, I know I'll get a beat down from some, but I'd like to know if I'm the only guy that does this.

I soldered extensions for my charger through rubber grommets in a home made 1/8" Stainless Steel box. When I'm running it throughout the day, I charge the batteries in the car. I'll take them out from time to time to check them physically, but as long as the cell #'s are the same I don't worry about them. I run breathable covers over the batteries to keep out debris.

Anyone else?

Attachments

• IMAG0093.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 120
OK, I know I'll get a beat down from some, but I'd like to know if I'm the only guy that does this.

I soldered extensions for my charger through rubber grommets in a home made 1/8" Stainless Steel box. When I'm running it throughout the day, I charge the batteries in the car. I'll take them out from time to time to check them physically, but as long as the cell #'s are the same I don't worry about them. I run breathable covers over the batteries to keep out debris.

Anyone else?

I don't...but I have with other cars in the past...like you said...you check them periodically. ..I don't charge them in the car simply because I have multiple sets of batts...

only downside to be said by a purist would be that some guys hold strict to charging in lipo bags...thats fine...if something goes sideways...the car would be toast. ..but...i don't charge my batts outside either...so I am not 100% safe from all forms of Murphys Law...

I don't...but I have with other cars in the past...like you said...you check them periodically. ..I don't charge them in the car simply because I have multiple sets of batts...

only downside to be said by a purist would be that some guys hold strict to charging in lipo bags...thats fine...if something goes sideways...the car would be toast. ..but...i don't charge my batts outside either...so I am not 100% safe from all forms of Murphys Law...

I feel like the process of putting in a soft case battery over and over actually wears the case and wires out quicker.
I have 4 batteries in 2 trucks, run one down to 3.7-3.8 then let it cool for a bit before charging again. Then grab the other and run it. Two different trucks with 2 different purposes, bases covered.

I feel like the process of putting in a soft case battery over and over actually wears the case and wires out quicker.
I have 4 batteries in 2 trucks, run one down to 3.7-3.8 then let it cool for a bit before charging again. Then grab the other and run it. Two different trucks with 2 different purposes, bases covered.

yep...in the end...get more batts....or more vehicles. ....but as far as his initial question. ..there is nothing wrong with what he is doing...charging a batt installed in a vehicle other than what I pointed out...

my 5th scale...I charge the reciever batt in the car...because it is enclosed and mounted in...it was intended to be charged that way unless you want to disassemble the box every time...

Last edited:
Ohh,.. No, I don't do that. I I handle it that way like Afro Samurai.
I had some too hot LiPo´s in the past, depends of poor quality or production errors.
I also have some different packs and change them often with different chargers. It is up of the situation when I need more full packs.
( In case that my girlfriend likes to run their Nero in the same time als me my BR, because after running I set the LiPo´s always to storage charge.) And the Nero battery handling is really much easy. Two plugs, two buttons and thats it....

Regards,
lonee

Anyone else?

You take risk for nothing.
Lipo technology is not safe, and if u search a little on Internet, you will find that people had lost their house by negligence of the most elementary safety instructions. This occurs not only once.

Where you have most of risk to have problems is during the refill of your battery (lipo)
If you do not check it before, I'll not see if they get some damage under you run and they can exploded.
Lipo is not nimh. It can be really dangerous and you will never charge it without checking it and stay with the battery in sight, and if you have a lipo safety bag, use it.
Off course, many people tell they leave battery in place for charging process and never had of problems to there.
It's like jumping from the 40th floor of a building : until you touch the ground, all is fine !
Make what must be made !
It is a simple matter of common sense

Last edited:
You take risk for nothing.
Lipo technology is not safe, and if u search a little on Internet, you will find that people had lost their house by negligence of the most elementary safety instructions. This occurs not only once.

Where you have most of risk to have problems is during the refill of your battery (lipo)
If you do not check it before, I'll not see if they get some damage under you run and they can exploded.
Lipo is not nimh. It can be really dangerous and you will never charge it without checking it and stay with the battery in sight, and if you have a lipo safety bag, use it.
Off course, many people tell they leave battery in place for charging process and never had of problems to there.
It's like jumping from the 40th floor of a building : until you touch the ground, all is fine !
Make what must be made !
It is a simple matter of common sense

^the beat down^
I know what you're saying. I do take them out and look at them regularly, just not everytime. Not the most ideal, I get it. How many of us actually follow ALL recommended processes? Do you have a gas can in your garage? Do you charge your cell phone or laptop unattended? Do you unplug ALL appliances if not in direct use? Do you have multiple fire extinguishers in zones in your house? Have you ever filled your gas tank in the winter, and left it running? Ever used a power tool without safety glasses?
I get that what I do isn't the most ideal, but there are a lot of things that aren't.

I get that what I do isn't the most ideal, but there are a lot of things that aren't.

and it's probably for this, it is no necessary to add one. If you ask if some one else do the same thing, it's probably because you try to feel reassured. Do how you feel it ;)

and it's probably for this, it is no necessary to add one. If you ask if some one else do the same thing, it's probably because you try to feel reassured. Do how you feel it ;)

Lol, no, no reassuring necessary. Just starting a conversation. If some do it, but are not wanting to say they do, then they will never hear firsthand experience. My point of asking is to hear experiences and consequences (firsthand, not possibilities. We know possibilities).
How have you experienced battery failures? While charging? Running? Storing? Internal or external failures?
I see on YouTube battery failure while driving a nail through it, but I don't plan on doing that .
I know what COULD happen, but what HAS happened?

So with that said...
My only experience with a bad battery is when a small pebble got wedged between the battery box and the battery. It punctured a cell and caused it to puff out a little.
I actually didn't notice it until I plugged it into the charger. I always read cell balance and voltage before charging. One cell was about .3v lower than the 2, which made me inspect the battery closer. Battery done for.
This is what made me cover the battery boxes every time now with a breathable fabric. To try to lessen the possibilities again.
I've tried venom hardcase in other cars, but water and grit got into the case. I would rather be able to see what's going on with the battery with a soft case.
Pros and cons...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back