Anyone else have other expensive hobbies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan10R

Rich Duperbash wannabe
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Talion
  5. Typhon 6s
Hey was seeing if anyone else had hobbies at cost a little bit of money or if you have any other hobbies besides RC stuff

cameringo_20210216_163229.jpg

Sportbikes and trackdays.. more expensive than RC lol. I haven’t been riding much the past year since COVID, and I miss track riding a lot and will get back to it eventually, but in the meantime I sure don’t miss having to buy tires and fuel, and the crazy expensive track day fees

Nice not to big on the water unless it's fishing lol. Never been jet ski but looks like a blast.
I collect 150yr old Mason jars...here's a 350$Mason jar..theres jars worth 25,000$$$$ out there.

View attachment 126969
That's cool I know my older brother into antiques and he collects vintage peanut jars lol big money for soom
Sportbikes and trackdays.. more expensive than RC lol. I haven’t been riding much the past year since COVID, and I miss track riding a lot and will get back to it eventually, but in the meantime I sure don’t miss having to buy tires and fuel, and the crazy expensive track day fees
Yea my boss has a Enduro and I been looking into getting one them. But I probably just get in trouble with it hahahaha

Mountain biking. Much more expensive than RC cars, but still somewhat affordable compared to other hobbies like sailing or racing cars. :p

The technology in mountain bikes is very advanced and the reliability of high-end stuff is now mind blowing. At least, the constantly increasing prices is associated with substantial quality improvements. On the other hand, wrenching on bikes is now extremely frustrating, with lots of non-user-serviceable suspension stuff, proprietary and expensive tools, a gigantic clusterfiddlestick of competing standards making sure parts are not interchangeable between bikes anymore, etc.

Biking is still my main passion, but RC cars is very important for me to satisfy my need for wrenching and the satisfaction associated with fixing/modifying stuff myself.

Last edited:
I have a small collection of vintage single malt whisky. And I used to visit whisky fairs and attend tastings and such, in better days.

Kinda miss hunting for legendary bottles like the one below (got to taste it in early 2020, just before the batshit hit the fan.)

20200208_154337.jpg
Ever try Springbank 10yr ?
I collect 150yr old Mason jars...here's a 350$Mason jar..theres jars worth 25,000$$$$ out there.

View attachment 126969
I actually have a lot of these !
or at least they look the same to me
Some are different color similar to depression glass ..
some have metal band over the top
Big ones small ones and an assortment of old soda bottles!!!
I’ve just held onto them for yrs cause I thought they were neat

I have Drones, and a 1986 Trans Am im bringing back from the dead.

Photography, RC planes, Lego, Model building (although it has been a while for this one). I'm sure there are more, other wise I would be able to get in my "Hobby Room" without playing hop scotch.

Oh definitely, Springbank has long been one of my faves! Great whisky.
Never tasted the Springbank 10years, but I absolutely loved the 15years. One of my favorite ever.

I am more of a peat lover myself and I have limited experience with the Speyside whisky. I know I am missing out...

I am more of a peat lover myself and I have limited experience with the Speyside whisky. I know I am missing out...

There's a lot of diversity out there, but there's nothing wrong with turning to the peat-side! It ain't subtle whisky, but it remains the most affordable way to get really powerful flavors.

Mountain biking. Much more expensive than RC cars, but still somewhat affordable compared to other hobbies like sailing or racing cars. :p

The technology in mountain bikes is very advanced and the reliability of high-end stuff is now mind blowing. At least, the constantly increasing prices is associated with substantial quality improvements. On the other hand, wrenching on bikes is now extremely frustrating, with lots of non-user-serviceable suspension stuff, proprietary and expensive tools, a gigantic clusterfiddlestick of competing standards making sure parts are not interchangeable between bikes anymore, etc.

Biking is still my main passion, but RC cars is very important for me to satisfy my need for wrenching and the satisfaction associated with fixing/modifying stuff myself.

DH and riding bike parks is the one hobby that I'm genuinely passionate about too, it blows everything else out of the water. I'd take a summer day at Whistler over anything in the world. But the amount of fun I get from this hobby minimizes the cost of bikes and trips so I don't really think of it as expensive. (Even though it is)

A hobby I do consider expensive is shooting sports because it eats a tremendous amount of time and money when compared to the brief period of fun it provides. Shooting a legitimate match means waking up at 4am and driving 3 hours, standing around taping targets for 5 hours when not shooting, then driving home for another three hours all to shoot for about 6 cumulative minutes. I always left the range thinking about all the other fun hobbies I could have been enjoying in that time. Because it's a perishable skill, staying proficient means a boatload of ammo and range time too. I honestly enjoy driving RC cars more.

LRM_EXPORT_20170322_211212.jpg
DSC_0992.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_12161180600094_20191029_220401226.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back