Kraton Anyone else have trouble with ProTek pinions staying on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
So last three times I've tried running my rig get a little running in and then after like 4-5 jumps pinion comes loose and slips forward. It's a steel 14t MOD1 ProTek pinion. First couple times just used screw with what loctite they put on grub screw bash around a bit then hit jump like 4-5 times and pinion comes off. Yesterday put some fresh loctite on grub screw, and yes waited a FULL 24hrs, took it out this evening and same $hit. Bashed truck around like 5mins then started sending her and again maybe 6-7 jumps in pinion came loose after landing. At a loss, tried different grub screw, loctite for 24hrs and same outcome. Think I'm going to throw stock 12t back on and see if it holds after loctite? Any input guys? Anyone run the ProTek 14t pinion also?

So last three times I've tried running my rig get a little running in and then after like 4-5 jumps pinion comes loose and slips forward. It's a steel 14t MOD1 ProTek pinion. First couple times just used screw with what loctite they put on grub screw bash around a bit then hit jump like 4-5 times and pinion comes off. Yesterday put some fresh loctite on grub screw, and yes waited a FULL 24hrs, took it out this evening and same $hit. Bashed truck around like 5mins then started sending her and again maybe 6-7 jumps in pinion came loose after landing. At a loss, tried different grub screw, loctite for 24hrs and same outcome. Think I'm going to throw stock 12t back on and see if it holds after loctite? Any input guys? Anyone run the ProTek 14t pinion also?

Tekno. Only pinions I run. Never had one loose yet. Blue loctite. Wear better than all the others I've tried. YMMV Got to use a good quality Allen wrench, not a hand driver and has to be TIGHT...

Last edited:
@2fast4u I'll have to order some Tekno pinions and give them a shot. And ya I'm using blue loctite and wrenching it on good with an Allen so not sure like I said what's up?

@2fast4u I'll have to order some Tekno pinions and give them a shot. And ya I'm using blue loctite and wrenching it on good with an Allen so not sure like I said what's up?
Oh yeah that’s the problem. You need something with a thick handle to get enough torque on that set screw. Get some fat handled drivers and some quality tips, like MIPs or Team EDS.

Yeah you need to really screw it down. I doubt it's the brand of pinion. I had a pinion slipping on me. Just re-loctite'ing it was actually clogging up the hole and preventing the screw from going all the way down. I cleaned off the grub screw and the pinion hole of all loc-tite residue. Sent the grub screw through the pinion hole (without the motor shaft) a few times to really make sure it was screwing all the way through smoothly. Then I loc-tited and really screwed it down.

I also had a pinion problem (cane loose several times and completely destroyed the pinion after a few runs). I installed a ‘premium’ hardened steel pinion. Apparently the teeth of that Mod1 pinion were just a little wider at the bottom of the teeth (after real close inspection afterwards). Result was the gearing became very hot and loosened the loctite and pinion. So not all mod1’s are 100% identical. Have had no problems with the replacement super cheap Surpass ones (ordered a set to try different pinion sizes) and also ordered a new ‘original‘ pinion.

This thread talked me out of buying protek pinion gears. They are all my local hobby shop carries unfortunately.

The D-shaped hole for the motor shaft seems to be the ticket. I’ve only seen it on Arrma pinion gears.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back