Anyone ever get a battery this hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoNoHarm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Decided to take a rustler 2wd brushed and we geared it so high it hit 50 with the stock electronics and the stock nimh pack. Here’s the temp.
5BC1878F-E3FE-468E-A001-8C816179E4DF.jpeg

Dude you guys have no idea the thing was a little ripper!!! I had a cappack plugged in to compensate for the voltage drop, that thing was basically like a 2s lipo... she ripppeddd.

We’re currently bidding on a 2009 xl-5 (the one with no overvoltage protection) and we’re gonna run 3s. These xl-5’s are bomb proof so it’s no biggie to overvolt them.

RC planes suck down a LiPo at rates that are exponentially higher than cars, an EDF jet can suck down a massive 6S pack in 2-3 minutes and it's not rare to see battery temps in this scorching territory. NiMh packs do like to get much hotter during charge cycles and are more heat-prone than LiPos since their discharge capacity is lower and the battery is doing all it can to keep up with the current demands being placed on it.

Back in the day, i had a few nimh that were hot enough to melt the heat shrink off of them, anf often had them too hot to handle. But back then, a IR thermometer (that you can get today for $20) cost more than my entire RC collection, so I have no idea what the actual temps were.

Ha!! I can remember eyeballing an infrared thermometer at a local Hobbytown for many months before finally making the investment. I still have that one in a toolbox 20 years later, they definitely used to be a much larger purchase :)

Ha!! I can remember eyeballing an infrared thermometer at a local Hobbytown for many months before finally making the investment. I still have that one in a toolbox 20 years later, they definitely used to be a much larger purchase :)
I still have the one I got at radio shack nearly 20 years ago when I started nitro for $60.
IR_thermo.jpg

Mines beaten and bruised, but still works.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back