Anyone Ever See This? Melted Steering Block

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GottaGetEm

It Is What It Is!!! No, seriously!!
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Hey all. I recently swapped bearings and diff fluid on a v2 Typhon 6s.

Before using loctite I wanted to test some things. Of course instead of being gentle for testing I went nuts. Ended up crashing, bought/waited on parts, installed, and thought I was good.

One of the wheels wouldn't go with the rest of them. Remember no loctite? I am assuming that what you are about to see has to do with a grub screw that was loose and had no loctite.

I jammed the throttle over and over while there was slack due to the loose grub screw. The friction created looks to have melted the plastic on the steering block and the wheel. It could've also had a loose wheel. Remember this is my assumption. Please let me know your thoughts.

0612200926.jpg
0611201242_HDR.jpg

The bearing must be running very fast and very dry. I don't think a loose wheel nut would have done this as you'll have a stripped hex

I've run my 6s cars without that cross-pin grub screw, with no issues (other than you have to watch that you don't lose the cross-pin when you take the wheels off). That damage looks like the wheel was rubbing the hub. I've had that happen on other RC's, needed to add shims behind the hex to keep it from rubbing.

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the input. Makes sense. I have new steering blocks coming. I will test things out to see if a shim is needed. Now I know for next time.

Your hex looks fine but it may be stripped deeper behind the good put of that wheel hex. I don’t think it was a loose hex at all, you reuse that wheel in that hex it will do the same thing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back