Anyone ever test actual current draw from their motor or their batteries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilly81

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Typhon 3s
Just wondering if anyone's ever done any real testing of the current draw various rigs pull.
I know on quads it's a big thing to monitor actual power. Most of the flight controllers and power boards have some type of calibrated resistor these days to measure the actual current flow because you really are pulling 100C+ out of these smaller 1.0-1.3mAh size 4s and 6s batteries. Also useful as a 'fuel gauge'.
I haven't seen specific number for cars though - has anyone put in that type of telemetry or testing? High performance and high C rating batteries are definitely popular - so I was kind of curious if it really mattered as much. I mean if it's a 150A ESC on my 6S Fireteam, that's only a 30C discharge at full ESC rating (5Ah). So is there a benefit to getting anything fancier than a decent quality standard grade 50C SMC 5Ah unless I have big hopped up electronics?

A basher has alot of gearing torque.
With the differential ratio plus a high ratio for the center diff to pinion, you gain significant gearing torque. (gearing torque reduces the amperage needs to power the car)

Most bashers run within the ESC's 150a window.

Something to consider is that the C rating on batteries is completely bogus info. There is a thread on the RC Groups forum where a guy is load testing LiPos. You can see in this list some of the "real C" ratings (far right side):

All 2021 LPB Results.Jpg

Just wondering if anyone's ever done any real testing of the current draw various rigs pull.
I know on quads it's a big thing to monitor actual power. Most of the flight controllers and power boards have some type of calibrated resistor these days to measure the actual current flow because you really are pulling 100C+ out of these smaller 1.0-1.3mAh size 4s and 6s batteries. Also useful as a 'fuel gauge'.
I haven't seen specific number for cars though - has anyone put in that type of telemetry or testing? High performance and high C rating batteries are definitely popular - so I was kind of curious if it really mattered as much. I mean if it's a 150A ESC on my 6S Fireteam, that's only a 30C discharge at full ESC rating (5Ah). So is there a benefit to getting anything fancier than a decent quality standard grade 50C SMC 5Ah unless I have big hopped up electronics?
To my mind there's no benefit to getting high amp batteries with the stock electronics. So you would necessarily need to upgrade your ESC before seeing any benefits from high performance batteries. On a personal note, I saw a dramatic performance increase going from G-Ace 15000mAh 3S in parallel to 6500 SMC-SRDs. My top speed went from 97 to 107mph. 10mph more with the exact same gearing in an Infraction.

This is the data log from a 6S pass with a TP 4080 motor paired with an XLX2 with the aforementioned two SRD 3S packs in series. They definitely deliver.
1662477875361.png

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back