Typhon Anyone have a slick trick to prevent rocks from getting into the steering mechanics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Switchblade2k

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Typhon 3s
Anyone have a slick trick to prevent rocks from getting into the steering mechanics? I have gotten some doosies in there a couple times and the last time I almost head butted a pole because I could barely steer!

Because you have a 3d printer and a way to design I would suggest measuring the opening width on each window of the chassis that the (drag link, akerman plate) protrudes through... add 8mm to each side of the overall length... design a simple rectangle the dimensions of height and width and go with a depth of 1mm... then design and extrude a 2mm slot 8mm off each side through the center of the model... print in soft tpu..

If you remove the tierods from the drag link you can then slip the model over it and secure it to the faces of the chassis using thin double sided tape.. those openings would be sealed then and not let anything large in..

You can tape the lower holes (bottom of chassis) like @jondilly1974 said... or again design and print plugs for the openings out of tpu or hard plastic...

That would be my approach on this.. I have not personally had this issue yet.. but I'm sure I will at some point because terrain changes all the time...
Is the bottom hole just to access the screw in the linkage? wasn't sure If I could close it up.

Yes.. just for access to the servo linkage

Anyone have a slick trick to prevent rocks from getting into the steering mechanics? I have gotten some doosies in there a couple times and the last time I almost head butted a pole because I could barely steer!
OMG this is my life. It’s like the truck seeks out the exact size rock to fit between the steering arm and chassis and surgically implants it there... Almost every gravel run there is the perfect sized rock just happily wedged in there...

Because you have a 3d printer and a way to design I would suggest measuring the opening width on each window of the chassis that the (drag link, akerman plate) protrudes through... add 8mm to each side of the overall length... design a simple rectangle the dimensions of height and width and go with a depth of 1mm... then design and extrude a 2mm slot 8mm off each side through the center of the model... print in soft tpu..

If you remove the tierods from the drag link you can then slip the model over it and secure it to the faces of the chassis using thin double sided tape.. those openings would be sealed then and not let anything large in..

You can tape the lower holes (bottom of chassis) like @jondilly1974 said... or again design and print plugs for the openings out of tpu or hard plastic...

That would be my approach on this.. I have not personally had this issue yet.. but I'm sure I will at some point because terrain changes all the time...

Yes.. just for access to the servo linkage

You could also essentially accomplish the same thing with thin chunks of weather stripping foam if secured to the chassis well...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back