Anyone have machinist experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
I recently got this lathe for free from a friend. It is semi functional but the computer it uses runs windows 95!!!!!
Fromwhat I can tell the software it usesis hard to come by now. I would like to pick some brains on what I’d broken and what isn’t also what software is best for designing.
Thanks
7F19DF36-E569-4195-A15E-981A2387E540.jpeg
DE3F7AAD-4D75-4037-BFD9-72B8EC61E3EF.jpeg
6547EA6E-7470-4D9D-9C31-91B013FC8280.jpeg

Good score! Cant beat free with a stick...

Cad/cam , I would go with fusion 360.. it's free for hobbyist's and very intuitive... the cam side will be the toughest to learn if you have no experience in cnc... getting used to what feeds and speeds the machine is capable of..

As a side note you should be able to control everything manually through the control panel/pendant.. probably best to start there to make sure the machine steppers, spindle, and d.r.o's work..

I'd plug in the PC to see what its using for motion control.. it all may be old, but it probably all still functions fine... without knowing the software it's running it's tough to help on that side of things...

So first and foremost is get it all hooked up and powered on..

Of course... fusion 360 is the wave of the future... most current machine shops run it in thier arsenal.. huge learning curve ahead so be ready for it... that's why I had mentioned manually running the machine, just like we all used to, our fingers and a dial caliper...

I use Fusion 360 at home also, although I have yet to actually produce anything with it (hoping to get in to 3d printing soon)
We used PTC Creo in college Engineering classes, but I found that I like Fusion 360 just as much if not more.

I cant believe people draw parts up in TinkerCAD, the functions are so limited!

@Camaroboy383 can you create assemblies and drawings with Fusion360? I need a software program at home. Usually I just bring my work laptop home.

Straight off fusion.. phone holder for a flysky gt3b... took some hours to design this one.. but was worth it...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-141613_Fusion 360.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-141613_Fusion 360.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 44
Of course... fusion 360 is the wave of the future... most current machine shops run it in thier arsenal.. huge learning curve ahead so be ready for it... that's why I had mentioned manually running the machine, just like we all used to, our fingers and a dial caliper...

Ok, I didn’t know if the whole 360 suite was available for free. I know with programs like NX and Solid Edge which I a familiar with each package is separate. You have the modeling, assemblies and drafting packages separately.

Ok, I didn’t know if the whole 360 suite was available for free. I know with programs like NX and Solid Edge which I a familiar with each package is separate. You have the modeling, assemblies and drafting packages separately.

Its imo the best all in one package out there... cad/cam/blueprint all in one.. it also has a portion of software for functional load testing your designed parts.. as a hobbyist you can gain access to everything you will ever need for free... the only thing you wont be able to access as a hobbyist is the 5th axis cam, 4th is limited but there.. both things you will never need with a lathe so your in...

But we need to see what the software is and how it runs, back a while ago there were some funny software's that ran thier own proprietary code's which would suck if that's what it is... but it would be easy enough to slap a mach 3 or mach 4 breakout board in it, and run mach 3 or 4 software, which runs the typical gcode..

Ok thanks for the help I think I already downloaded fusion I’m planning on making titanium axles for my truck if possible also may start doing paid design and contracting

I want to say my friend said the hard drive is dead in that computer so I will need to find a new copy of windows 95

From what I can tell the actual g-code software is very hard to find so I will have to do some digging for it.
I’m thinking of contacting the producer for help

Ok thanks for the help I think I already downloaded fusion I’m planning on making titanium axles for my truck if possible also may start doing paid design and contracting

I want to say my friend said the hard drive is dead in that computer so I will need to find a new copy of windows 95

From what I can tell the actual g-code software is very hard to find so I will have to do some digging for it.
I’m thinking of contacting the producer for help

Was the original motion control software disc included with all the goodies? If the harddrive is dead, and you don't have the software you will need to search it out and get one or convert it...

As a side note for any interested in fusion you must have a 64bit computer to run it..

Whatever you do, don’t plug that XP PC into the Internet or connect it to WiFi.
I have to ask why? Lol
I have to give fushion a try I always used master cam

I have to ask why? Lol
I have to give fushion a try I always used master cam
There are security vulnerabilities remaining in XP that will never be fixed. Support ended a while ago. Leave it offline and use a flash drive to move data to it.

I’m going to give Fusion a go. If for anything to have another CAD platform under my belt. But, they’re all virtually the same anyway. I’d say a week of use and I’ll be up to speed on all of it. That’s been my experience in the past anyway.

I’m going to give Fusion a go. If for anything to have another CAD platform under my belt. But, they’re all virtually the same anyway. I’d say a week of use and I’ll be up to speed on all of it. That’s been my experience in the past anyway.
Larz Christianson has some good tutorials on YT. Certain functions I had to see them demonstrated before I understood how to use them correctly.

Larz Christianson has some good tutorials on YT. Certain functions I had to see them demonstrated before I understood how to use them correctly.

I will definitely check that out. Much easier than wasting time trying to figure something out.

Here is the next revision to my fan shroud. What is nice is this covers the entire can with a single fan rather than using two.

Edit - that strange looking groove is for the fan wires.

BFE6CD53-389C-4511-BD4C-467E06C15061.jpeg

E1D9228E-E7F1-4DB7-978F-E688A8B45C6D.jpeg

A2A83D87-6094-4248-B657-34ABFFD1AF70.jpeg

944B14BB-E2F5-44DA-81D3-72BF71E57F35.jpeg

C368EA19-8532-4E21-BCBA-3FF89A3011A0.jpeg

755BACF7-B073-4BBD-9DA2-D7B06430C4AE.jpeg

BF3539CF-9C61-48E0-B4DE-57F39C411877.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back