Anyone here sous vide?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys come on. Did you bring enough for the whole class to share???
🤤
Got a 20# prime on the smoker right meow- come on over!
20220101_121256.jpg

I had a Joule for a while but didn’t really care for the outcome. I see why certain things could be sous vide cooked, but in general the texture just wasn’t the same for me. I ended up giving it away.
Definitely need the right tool for the job and the immersion circulator isn’t for everything. It’s like the instant pot fanatics that try to pressure cook everything…

Yeah, thinking about getting a cast iron pan to sear steaks after and do the butter bath I always see people doing on videos.
Do it. I love cooking with cast iron especially over fire on the bbq. Perfect sear.
My favorite is my great grandmothers cast iron high side skillet, passed down 150 years or more. They last forever and I clean mine occasionally by throwing in the oven on self clean mode. Then re-cure and cook on. Make sure to look up the process and cure it proper before use.

you mention cured and then smoked.

How do you cure it?
I use a couple of different curing salts. It's also called pink salt or red salt as it tends to keep the meat red even after cooking. If you look at the picture I posted right after it was done smoking, the meat looks raw with how red it is but it was fully ready to eat..SO PRETTY! hahaha

If you've never cured before I would suggest 'Tender Quick'. It's pretty easy to master though I would still start with a small batch to get the feel.
Rub it onto the meat and depending on how big/thick will determine how long to let it cure. After it's done, rinse off the meat (very important) then smoke/cook. You can also make a brine with it and soak the meat. Curing salt shouldnt be used on fish though...i don't know why...?
Anyway I can help I'm down! Just ask. Hope this intrigues you enough to try it. :)

As you can tell by my answer I love to cook and smoke all types of meats and anyone reading I'm always open to hearing some tips/tricks for smoking/cooking:)

Do you cure in a fridge? Hung in a cool dry place? Garage? Typical time for a 5lb roast? Do you cut it into strips then coat with salt and cure?

Do you cure in a fridge? Hung in a cool dry place? Garage? Typical time for a 5lb roast? Do you cut it into strips then coat with salt and cure?
I cure it in the fridge. With the Tender Quick I believe its 1hr/lb. I personally strip most of my smoked meats so a whole roast may need longer time to cure.
Not the typical 'curing' you think of. It doesn't sit for days in a dry area like what we all know as 'curing'.

Ahhh - OK. I do that with all my large beef cuts. I call it a "dry brine". Coat with a course salt and place in fridge on plate, uncovered for around 24 hours.

I will look into the pink curing salts and tender quick. Thanks.

Ahhh - OK. I do that with all my large beef cuts. I call it a "dry brine". Coat with a course salt and place in fridge on plate, uncovered for around 24 hours.

I will look into the pink curing salts and tender quick. Thanks.
I'm hungry again! hahaha
Have fun...share the outcome:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back