Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I reinforced my front bumper today on my Kaiju before messing around at my job parking lot. I was showing off, went full speed and my stock radio looses signal after a very short distance. Well my Kaiju kept going and hit a wall at pretty much FULL SPEED. That would have destroyed any of my other rigs (maybe not the Maxx 4s). Damage? Only the bumper supports and bumper where pushed into the body and the pinion gear came loose. That was it. I'm impressed ??

Ripped a pack with mine today in front of house, never had range issues with stock radio yet, take it way down the block where it's hard to see. Need to get some upgrades, still have plastic spur, have to see 6s in this thing. The more I run it, the more I'm liking it, lot of truck for $400!

Ripped a pack with mine today in front of house, never had range issues with stock radio yet, take it way down the block where it's hard to see. Need to get some upgrades, still have plastic spur, have to see 6s in this thing. The more I run it, the more I'm liking it, lot of truck for $400!

6s huh? I puffed a 6s in mine the other day.. :mad: Rat bastard was set to cut off at a decent voltage too.. Was a blast while it lasted though!!

IMG_1025 (1).JPG

Does anyone know which wheel extenders would be best if you want to run Backflip LP's? I tried running them without extenders and the front tires hit the body. My body is pretty beat so I just hacked it up so the wheels didn't hit as much. But when I get a new body I don't want to go cutting it up again. Redcat sells 5mm and 10mm extenders. I ended up with a pair of each so I need one more pair to have 4 of the same size. Should I get another pair of 10mm or another pair of 5mm?

Hey everyone! New Kaiju owner here... hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

I bought the ball bearings linked in this thread to go over my diff cups: uxcell 6701-2RS Deep Groove Ball Bearings Z2 12mm x 18mm x 4mm Double Sealed Chrome Steel 5pcs

How are you guys fitting them? It doesn't look like I can fit my dog bones in there... I put two ball bearings over one side, but as it spins the pin in the dogbone seems to be smashing into the ball bearing... seems the dog bone is a tiny bit too long?

3 diff cups have busted on me. I've only run 4S through it, no jumps or bashing, just bad luck? I ended up buying a new diff, just to get my hands on diff cups.

So, anyone know where to get diff cups?

Any tips on how to fit the bearings on? Did I get the right size?

Thanks everyone - have a good weekend!

Does anyone know which wheel extenders would be best if you want to run Backflip LP's? I tried running them without extenders and the front tires hit the body. My body is pretty beat so I just hacked it up so the wheels didn't hit as much. But when I get a new body I don't want to go cutting it up again. Redcat sells 5mm and 10mm extenders. I ended up with a pair of each so I need one more pair to have 4 of the same size. Should I get another pair of 10mm or another pair of 5mm?
Wouldn't it be better to go with the 10mm, just to be on the safe side?

The stock Kaiju tire is 42mm from hub hex to tire sidewall. The LPs are 52mm. They nearly have the same diameter, so you need at least 10mm.

Seriously, how can a wheel end up jammed up like this & the arm NOT break . . .

KaiKrap.jpg

It DID pull out the CVD & break the crappy sintered bushing that was suppose the protect the drive cup . . . back to the bearings for you, Kaiju.

Even when I try to break the thing, all I get is flak & fluff. It wants me to drive it better but it's a handful even on punch so I might as well see how much pure abuse it can take before something pops . . .

@Megasty is this your favorite truck?
Nope, that honor is still for my K8S. I'm running it more than anything now. I still haven't touched the O8S because of it. This truck is climbing the list though, but all that fetching won't cut it :ROFLMAO:

Just curious, what keeps the bearings on the output cup? Friction or do you use something like green/red locktite?
Yeah, Friction. The outside of the cup isn't a very smooth surface so a bit of persuasion is required to get them on & off.

I found an obvious weakness in my arm design in that it uses M3 screws at the bulkhead hinge. Even the titanium screws are bending like bananas at this point. I know I could source nylon m4 rod ends to use a M4 screw at the hinge but why not go for the gold & rethink my original plan for the arm . . .

20200930_201318 (Copy).jpg

Pure Overkill :love: I'm trying to see whether the weakness will be the nylon w/ 3 holes in it or the M4 bolts attaching it to the twin steel M4 rod ends. Anyway those bolts are the same that I'm using to keep the front input CVD on my R5 together. The nylon is still 1/2". Of course the whole thing could be strong enough now to rip out of the bulkhead & you seriously don't want to see my remedy for that :ROFLMAO:

I found an obvious weakness in my arm design in that it uses M3 screws at the bulkhead hinge. Even the titanium screws are bending like bananas at this point. I know I could source nylon m4 rod ends to use a M4 screw at the hinge but why not go for the gold & rethink my original plan for the arm . . .

View attachment 102488

Pure Overkill :love: I'm trying to see whether the weakness will be the nylon w/ 3 holes in it or the M4 bolts attaching it to the twin steel M4 rod ends. Anyway those bolts are the same that I'm using to keep the front input CVD on my R5 together. The nylon is still 1/2". Of course the whole thing could be strong enough now to rip out of the bulkhead & you seriously don't want to see my remedy for that :ROFLMAO:
If it was my luck it would snap off the ears of the bulkhead.

Back