Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of those, I printed a set in cf/nylon but I was more concerned with wanting to run it with 6s with a punch of 9. I have since decided to do speed runs with it. So I stuck some proline primes on it, a 24t pinion and printed a cf/nylon adapter to bring the wheelie down to a more functional height for speed runs. Speed runs need don't a high punch setting as you wanna roll into it anyways.

I'd have to agree about the tires being too bulky for racing and IMO this thing would look incredibly ridiculous on a track racing with 1/8th buggy tires on it. If your racing against 1/8th buggy's (I cant even think why that would be happening) your going to get smoked and probably tic off the other racers.
I race with friends at our local outdoor track.
Its all good fun but yes i am always last haha.
Im just curious as to how the buggy tires would perform vs the stock ones

Serious racing...uh.. no. But with friends off road decent. IMO belted much better for the cost.

Too much tire, & not enough rim. It's probably happening like that because the large amount of rubber in the sidewall is creating a bulge in the ballooning when it spins too fast. The bulge then can't keep up with the rest of the tire & becomes a weak point. If the tire had a 3.8 rim instead of a 3.2 & the same diameter wheel, it would be able to handle more rpm.
I just saw this... the wheels are old 3.2" sized? Anyone confirm that?

Anyone have a weight on the kaiju tires? I've searched the thread, but either I'm missing it or not finding it.

I race with friends at our local outdoor track.
Its all good fun but yes i am always last haha.
Im just curious as to how the buggy tires would perform vs the stock ones
Old and ugly video (I have a gopro for my newest ones), but I put my Typhon tires on the Kaiju to see what happened :

I just saw this... the wheels are old 3.2" sized? Anyone confirm that?

Anyone have a weight on the kaiju tires? I've searched the thread, but either I'm missing it or not finding it.
Found the weight, someone posted it for me on the traxxas forum, 287 grams or 10.12 ounces. Would like to know the wheel size though, if they are 3.2 or 3.8 and the bead style, buggy or MT.

This is as good of an image I can find comparing them to tires I have:
2021-0408-backflipmtvskaijutires.jpg

So it appears they are close to the size of arrma 4S tires. The tires on the left appear to be backflip MT's vs backflip LP's.

Found the weight, someone posted it for me on the traxxas forum, 287 grams or 10.12 ounces. Would like to know the wheel size though, if they are 3.2 or 3.8 and the bead style, buggy or MT.

So it appears they are close to the size of arrma 4S tires. The tires on the left appear to be backflip MT's vs backflip LP's.
I know those two vehicles. Hehe. That's an Outcast 8s with regular Outcast 6s tires. Hehe. Those are mine 😁.

I know those two vehicles. Hehe. That's an Outcast 8s with regular Outcast 6s tires. Hehe. Those are mine 😁.
Really? The arms/shocks don't look larger than the 6S truck. Or do you have an 8S esc in a 6S truck?

Was annoying trying to find a side by side comparison of the kaiju tires with anything else in the same photo on the same plane.

The wheel rim is about 3.5 inches on the stock wheels and tires. Tire diameter is about 5.8 inches and they are about 3.1 inches wide.

Really? The arms/shocks don't look larger than the 6S truck. Or do you have an 8S esc in a 6S truck?

Was annoying trying to find a side by side comparison of the kaiju tires with anything else in the same photo on the same plane.
Nah. That's a stock O6S.

I broke an upper front arm on my 2nd run when the truck cartwheeled after a bad landing. Bought a set of new arms and 2 pairs of Arrma Steel Turnbuckle, M5x50mm Silver (2): EXB, ARA330663. Tapped the arms and the rod ends with a M5 tap and screwed in these EXB turnbuckles for both fronts and rears. Went out for a bash and I cartwheeled in a much worse fashion like 10x and the arms held up (the steering rack didn't). Just wanted to share something I tried out.

I just finished upgrades to the Kaiju...I found some use for my 1/10 shocks off my Big Rock, I replaced them with Proline, so I had these laying around. Lowering the wheelie bar and adding the shocks to it, allows you to run 6's under control, it's a different truck. Reliability nothing close to my Notorious 6s, but very fun. It's faster than the Notorius6s with the standard pinion at least. But the wheelie bar adjustment and sway bar is a MUST! Without it, you can't get to full throttle on 6s without flipping, and widening the stance with wheel adapters helped out.
redcat pic5.jpg
I was about to return this truck, something kept pulling me back, and the wheelie bar adjustment is a must and it's super sturdy. Shout out to Rob's backyard RC for the idea!

Here's what's interesting or peculiar about Redcat Parts...
1) I ordered a pinion upgrade from Redcat, only to get it and it not fit the motor. (I'm still puzzled). But they just sent me a replacement in the mail.
2) Upgrading the servo nut, part RER13321 is puzzling. Because it's advertised as an aluminum, but the cap is just aluminum. The screw itself is the same which comes in the truck which is plastic.
3) Metal spur gear upgrade.
4) Aluminum shock caps.
5) 10mm aluminum wider wheel adapters from Redcat.
6) Sway bar kit from Redcat.
redcat pic 1.jpg
redcat pic 2.jpg
redcat pic 3.jpg
redcat pic 4.jpg

Update 4/23/2021​

These are the severe quality issues that Redcat must address, before than can truly become a competitor. I ran my truck today...no jumping, just in grass. Here's my logs.
1) First run, a broken a arm.
2) 2nd run a broken CV Drive ($33) snapped at the wheel..yikes again, no stunts.
3) 3rd run after upgrades, today the drive cup snapped. I mean heck, I don't know man. Quality just not there man.
20210421_192431.jpg
20210421_211820.jpg

Last edited:
Hey folks - Kaiju tires seem to always be out of stock.

I decided to try something new, I thought i read the 4S BACKFLIPS were a direct fit?

It looks like i need some spacers to push the rim out a bit...

So, do i need the REDCAT hex extenders? Just saw, those are out of stock too. haha.

Anyone recommend hex extenders that will get me going? Thanks!

I decided to try something new, I thought i read the 4S BACKFLIPS were a direct fit?

So, do i need the REDCAT hex extenders? Just saw, those are out of stock too. haha.

Hot Racing makes them as well.

Looks like they have the 5mm version in stock on redcat's website unless you needed the 10mm version:

https://www.redcatracing.com/products/rer13332?variant=32452795400282

New body that the LHS painted for me. I think that body was meant for that MT that proline sells? It's a bit small but I like it. I rolled it once on concrete already. Yeah that sucked :
IMG_20210429_000440.jpg
20210430_122033.jpg
20210430_122010.jpg
20210430_122023.jpg

Back