Anyone interested in the new Redcat KAIJU MT 1/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you move the shock positions?
Yeah I did now. I tried to rebuild the original diff but could not get that damn seal into the hole again behind the spider gear! luckily I had bought a whole differential, and just replaced the broken output drive and didn't mess with that damn seal on that one. it didn't like being outside all the time. It like expanded on its own somehow. Anyways, got the diff back in there and also adjusted the upper control arms further in so that the wheels look a bit tilted towards the body (camber right?). That brings the dogbones further in.
20200331_153252.jpg
20200331_134024.jpg

I got tired of skinny bolts bending where the wheelie bar adjustment is, so I grabbed an extra Arrma bolt that is used in the rear wing/chassis and put it through there. I used a 5/32 bit to make the hole bigger so that the bolt could go through. I put an old nut as a spacer since the bolt is too long.
20200331_203622.jpg

20200331_204124.jpg

Did you move the shock positions?
BTW, remember that the upper control arm had that crack? Well today I was airing this thing and doing small backflips in my backyard (some of it is on the video that I posted here), so the mentioned arm decided to pop off the hinge pin. I had to replace it. At least nothing else broke today, excep for the crappy front bumper mounts. Those things are as thin and durable as toothpicks ?. They drive cups held up though. Almost a few battery pack. I noticed that the brake was on setting #1 like my other Kaiju, when the manual says it should be at 30% (settings #2) from the factory.

I don't know how any of you guys keep that motor cool running stock. I have that same combo in a buggy probably close to 1/2 the weight and it rips off some heat..
Yeah the motor does get hot. I've seen only killer off road hobbies and another youtuber stating that the motor was getting too hot. Maybe when summer rolls around we all might start having problems. I run several rigs together, so maybe that's helping me.

Yeah the motor does get hot. I've seen only killer off road hobbies and another youtuber stating that the motor was getting too hot. Maybe when summer rolls around we all might start having problems. I run several rigs together, so maybe that's helping me.
Mine got pretty toasty for sure. I just take a break and let it cool.

Mine got pretty toasty for sure. I just take a break and let it cool.
Me too. That's the advantage of having two KAIJUs, two Traxxas bashers and three Arrma Bashers. ?. I'm going to run the Kaiju with the damaged front and rear drive cups that have a bearing around them. Hopefully they will hold up. Just backyard bashing for now.

Me too. That's the advantage of having two KAIJUs, two Traxxas bashers and three Arrma Bashers. ?. I'm going to run the Kaiju with the damaged front and rear drive cups that have a bearing around them. Hopefully they will hold up. Just backyard bashing for now.

Can you take it out and bash a full 4s or 6s 5000-6000 MAH pack to LVC without thermaling it or roasting the motor?

Is it just me...logic has it that using 6s with that plastic spur is NG. Does anyone know of any other brand 6S rig that uses a plastic spur gear?

:whistle::whistle::whistle:<traxxas brushless revo vxl 2.0>:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Have been running the ERBEv2 pretty hard half of last season on 6S and the spur is holding up. It has a center diff and cush drive type setup though to absorb initial shock, so that probably helps. I ran my ERBEv1 on 4S for 3 years and only torched a spur once, due to a pebble taking out a tooth and causing a "tick tick tick" that got on my nerves eventually.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:<traxxas brushless revo vxl 2.0>:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Have been running the ERBEv2 pretty hard half of last season on 6S and the spur is holding up. It has a center diff and cush drive type setup though to absorb initial shock, so that probably helps. I ran my ERBEv1 on 4S for 3 years and only torched a spur once, due to a pebble taking out a tooth and causing a "tick tick tick" that got on my nerves eventually.
I'm going to lighten up the center diff oil in mine so it has more give. I threw a mix of 500k and 60k in there but went to heavy on the 500k.

Can you take it out and bash a full 4s or 6s 5000-6000 MAH pack to LVC without thermaling it or roasting the motor?
I personally haven't been able to do it because of bad luck and breakages. And now that I can't go anywhere, that hasn't helped. The last 3 runs have been in my small backyard, so those don't count. Sorry. But I think that a couple of the guys here have gone through a full battery and hit LVC.

I'm going to lighten up the center diff oil in mine so it has more give. I threw a mix of 500k and 60k in there but went to heavy on the 500k.
I'm keeping 100k in mine. I can blow the spur in mins & the air control is so phenomenal I don't need to go any higher.

I personally haven't been able to do it because of bad luck and breakages. And now that I can't go anywhere, that hasn't helped. The last 3 runs have been in my small backyard, so those don't count. Sorry. But I think that a couple of the guys here have gone through a full battery and hit LVC.
I'm glad I have that big lot next to my house but my back yard is large enough to destroy it there too. I've only had the spur & CVA go on mine. You have to do what works for you. If you aren't busting CVAs then there's no reason to stop using the bearing race to save the cups. I'll try them again if I start busting cups. I just want a metal spur so I can get wild enough to break it. I have to go out of my way to foul up jumps most of the time, but I use the Siren for that. I can't break that thing if I wanted to.

Heads up:

Looks like a lot of parts are now in stock on both the Redcat site and the Team Redcat site as of this morning, including the upper arms. Great timing, I just nailed a tree and toasted one of my fronts last night.

Heads up:

Looks like a lot of parts are now in stock on both the Redcat site and the Team Redcat site as of this morning, including the upper arms. Great timing, I just nailed a tree and toasted one of my fronts last night.
Thank you! I just stocked up on a bunch of stuff ???

Happy to help. I didn't have a notification set up, so I don't know if/what went out from Redcat, but thought I'd post up and flag this to everyone in this thread.

Also - For some reason the parts prices on the Team Redcat site are cheaper than the main Redcat site, some things are $2-3 cheaper, like the bumper assembly for example.

What I want to know is when the option parts are going to become available for this monster. I would really like sway bars for this truck, I think it would really help the handling for my normal backyard driving and bashing.

Heads up:

So is it better to just run this truck on 4s to minimize the breakages.

So is it better to just run this truck on 4s to minimize the breakages.
Depends how good of a driver you are. I think certain landings, whether on 4S or 6S, will break the truck. It's definitely hard to drive on 6S. Expert only ?

Back