Anyone know how to configure an IR temp gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewSensei

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 6s
I got a Kizen laserpro lp300 to keep track of my temps but I have a feeling the EMS setting isn't correct even though I set the EMS to .30 (what their manual says to set it at for aluminum). I think it's wrong because the other day I was running my Kraton and it read 233°f which is WELL above what the motor would melt down at :/

Anyhow, figure I'd ask y'all I'm case someone out there knows these better than me...

Not familiar with that temp gun but when I'm not sure of their accuracy, I'll use a known temp to find out. Like boiling water. Or compare it to other temp guns.

Thought of the boiling water thing after seeing a mechanic place a thermostat in a metal bowl full of water, then hold a blow torch to it and use a temp gun to see when/if the thermostat opened.

Face it at the freezer. If it reads around 30f it’s accurate enough. I’ve had a brushless motor up to 250. You get it up to 230 again it’ll melt. Boiling water is great for precision but it’s rc we don’t gotta be perfect, freezer is quicker.

Thanks y'all, gotta figure out the and settings for known temps so I can calculate what aluminum should be (supposed to be .30 for unpolished aluminum). ;)

I have a Fluke 62 Max+ IR temp gun. It has an adjustable EMS setting. If you google "Emissivity Table" you should be able to find what you are looking for. I found this one.

Attachments

• Emissivity Table.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 221
I have a Fluke 62 Max+ IR temp gun. It has an adjustable EMS setting. If you google "Emissivity Table" you should be able to find what you are looking for. I found this one.
I set it to .30 (the emissivity of unpolished aluminum) and it read way high after a run, think it was way high, seems to read better now. Just thought it weird my motor got to 233°fand didn't melt down...it was 106°f that day so...

Very simple check, take it inside and hopefully you know how hot/cold it is in your house. Measure again and should be ambient.
If it's spot on it is right. I always do a couple readings when I get odd values.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back