Anyone live in or know anything about Austin TX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We really enjoy finding places to eat and places to explore.
The food scene is incredible. I many really incredible. You are going to have a blast with that. Innercity restaurants are awesome but don’t forget to check out the ones on the outskirts, they get interesting. That’s why I suggested the Salt Lake. Bit of a drive but it is nothing like you’ve ever been to. Started some 100 years ago or so with a guy selling barbecue from his wagon. It is a true Austin Texas experience. We always just load up a cooler with beer, they bring you ice buckets to put it in typically, and have fun.

You’ll find out there are more than one place that allow the BYOB. Basically they don’t want to go through the expense or complexity of a license to sell booze so the BYOB thing became popular.

The food scene is incredible. I many really incredible. You are going to have a blast with that. Innercity restaurants are awesome but don’t forget to check out the ones on the outskirts, they get interesting. That’s why I suggested the Salt Lake. Bit of a drive but it is nothing like you’ve ever been to. Started some 100 years ago or so with a guy selling barbecue from his wagon. It is a true Austin Texas experience. We always just load up a cooler with beer, they bring you ice buckets to put it in typically, and have fun.

You’ll find out there are more than one place that allow the BYOB. Basically they don’t want to go through the expense or complexity of a license to sell booze so the BYOB thing became popular.
Just looked it up on google......13,000 reviews lol holy crap that place is serious. Now I am really hyped for that one. Looks like it'll be a nice drive out there too. I love places that have a story like that, makes it all so much better. I like the BYOB thing a lot, don't have to spend an atrocious amount of money on drinks

Yeah we are absolutely going to be taking some drives out to explore the area. I really appreciate all that man. That sucks though, not sure why people have to be so disrespectful and just ruin it for everyone else. Pathetic really. But it sounds like we are going to encounter some very interesting people lol I am looking forward to it
I’ll hit up my Austin family for fun (it’s been awhile anyway) and pm you if they got anything decent to recommend. Whatever you do you’ll have fun. Just the city itself is interesting to drive around and explore.

We’re in north San Antonio at the start of the hill country ourselves, about 30 minutes from north Austin. If you head this direction you must hit the riverwalk. It’s beautiful and interesting, it’s own special area running under downtown. Best park at the historic Pearl brewery and take the water taxi up the river to the main part. The Pearl alone is fun, Southerbys restaurant is one of our favorites there.

Oh, my wife reminded me of Countyline BBQ. It’s the other style of Texas bbq. The have one location kinda outside town that is in a historic speakeasy and very cool. The other one overlooks lake Travis I believe.

Last edited:
I forgot about this place. There are about a dozen others as well Along with many incredible beer gardens. ABGB (Austin beer Garden brewery) is a good one.

Don’t forget to just take a drive around and out through the hill country. School is starting around this time so you won’t have to deal with quite as many crowds outdoor during the week. However during the weekends it gets crazy at the lakes and rivers. Crazy to the point where they had to start shutting down some parks because of the amount of people that were trashing them. Lady Bird Park is beautiful as well as lake Travis among many others. Unfortunately water levels are suffering due to the drought we’re or going through. It’s still beautiful though.

My cousins place has grown incredibly, he does so many art projects and installations for the wealthy as well as businesses. but at the same time he has kept the original quirkiness of a small art studio. You can also pick up some beautiful pieces for relatively affordable prices. It’s all local artists and some are amazing. Ask if Jake Bryer is in, but if not, anyone working there would also be able to steer you in the direction of interesting events and so forth.

You will be absolutely fine. It is hotter than hell here but often especially as of late since we had no rain for a long time, the humidity is only in the 30s to 40s during the day. So you will actually feel a bit more comfortable than any others that visit.

If you guys like kayaking check out the Guadalupe river. It is incredibly beautiful there and the water level is doing decent. Canyon Lake as a blast as well with beautiful Clearwater. You can rent a boat at the marina and have a fun day out. Like I mentioned before it’s been crazy busy over the summer but should have calm down with all the school starting between the 10th and the 30th of this month.
DUDE you are the MAN. Thank you so very much for all of this, I did not expect all of this at all. I really do appreciate you taking the time to type all this out. Very happy I asked the question 🙌
(y)

We had Blacks BBQ and it was excellent, the beef ribs were my favorite.

I would say if you want something slower-paced to do. Just as the sun goes down you can watch the bats come out from under the bridge over the river. There are thousands and it is pretty cool to see.

Taking some windings roads from Austin out towards the little german towns to the west is nice too. (I hear they have good food out there too)

We would typically walk around downtown and just find someplace to eat randomly. Weather is going to be very hot, but kayaking the river is nice.

If you head this direction you must hit the riverwalk. It’s beautiful and interesting, it’s own special area running under downtown.
Yes!!! If you have time def take a day or 1/2 day to check out the Riverwalk. It is a great experience and is just beautiful there! Plenty of cool shops and restaurants. Def worth the time. 👍

We had Blacks BBQ and it was excellent, the beef ribs were my favorite.

I would say if you want something slower-paced to do. Just as the sun goes down you can watch the bats come out from under the bridge over the river. There are thousands and it is pretty cool to see.

Taking some windings roads from Austin out towards the little german towns to the west is nice too. (I hear they have good food out there too)

We would typically walk around downtown and just find someplace to eat randomly. Weather is going to be very hot, but kayaking the river is nice.
We actually already saw something about the bats so that is something we planned on doing, glad to know it is actually that many. I am interested in the german towns for sure so I will be looking to see what is there. Yeah we expected the weather, I am sure it'll be rough at times but Im not overly concerned, plus it seems like it drops a pretty fair amount at night which is good. Thank you very much for the suggestions I appreciate it 🙌
Yes!!! If you have time def take a day or 1/2 day to check out the Riverwalk. It is a great experience and is just beautiful there! Plenty of cool shops and restaurants. Def worth the time. 👍
We are looking forward to that for sure. Riverwalk sounds great, thank you for the help! 🙌

We actually already saw something about the bats so that is something we planned on doing, glad to know it is actually that many. I am interested in the german towns for sure so I will be looking to see what is there. Yeah we expected the weather, I am sure it'll be rough at times but Im not overly concerned, plus it seems like it drops a pretty fair amount at night which is good. Thank you very much for the suggestions I appreciate it 🙌

We are looking forward to that for sure. Riverwalk sounds great, thank you for the help! 🙌
No worries at all! You all are gonna have a blast!! I'm jelly! I was in the San Antionio area back in 2014 and 2015. I'll go back one day!! Didn't get a chance to see the Alamo, but did park in the parking deck right around the corner from it!! :ROFLMAO: Also some pics of the Riverwalk did get you all warmed up for the trip! ;):p✌️
20130718_212200.jpg

20130718_183451.jpg
20130718_184956.jpg
20130718_185517.jpg
20130718_204122.jpg

And this was my favorite sign we saw in Austin!!!! Too bad I wasn't driving! lol

20150306_130509.jpeg

Yup the German towns are great. Greune (pronounced Green) is our favorite little town to visit just adjacent to new braunfels. Try the Gristmill restaurant if you go by there. It’s located in a century old Grist mill, very unique. The whole little town is a pleasure to walk about. Great music as well. Don’t forget to try some Texas wine. It’s damn good. The beer is better but the wine is very fine.

We also enjoy the small river town Bourne (pronounced Bernie). If your wife likes silver (they have some gold pieces as well) jewelry check out James Avery. Their original workshop and museum is out near Kerrvill and is a very pleasant experience.

That 85mph freeway is a toll road between San Antonio and Austin. Been on it once for grins lol.

Last edited:
And, if you like to really explore something different and wonderous there's-
Inner Space Caverns (20 minutes north)
Natural Bridge Caverns (1 hour south)
of downtown Austin

And, if you like to really explore something different and wonderous there's-
Inner Space Caverns (20 minutes north)
Natural Bridge Caverns (1 hour south)
Natural bridges is quite nice! Should be less crowded week days now that schools are starting.

So you’ve been there and enjoy that side of life huh?

Only problem with Franklin’s is you’ll stand in line for a couple of hours to find out that it’s amazing…but there’s a lot of amazing barbecue where you can go sit down, watch some live music and have fun.
Oh yea. I've got a Lone star Grillz offest, that can hold maybe 30 10lb butts, among other things. lol I'll post up some pics on another thread.

Oh yea. I've got a Lone star Grillz offest, that can hold maybe 30 10lb butts, among other things. lol I'll post up some pics on another thread.
Yeah make sure to post some pictures because I wanna see that! My dream is to get a Lifetime (or similar I guess) eventually. Just too many other expenses to justify at this point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back