Granite Anyone put a BLX 185 ESC in their Granite 3s blx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
Have searched on here and not found any info. Just curious if one it will fit somehow, two will it be too much for even say a 4s 3674 can motor in the Granite, and last would running 3s cause a lot of stress on the BLX 185? So in short I guess is it worth it to try and install the BLX 185 to run 4s in my Granite as I have one coming free from Horizon so just got me thinking..... Thanks for any input or experience anyone may have!

I'll look I searched "BLX 185 in Granite" and found mostly posts just about the Granite nothing with BLX 185 in the granite but one guy saying he ran it in his granite, thanks!

I have a 3674 2950 kv 3s/4s motor and blx185 in my sons brcc. I still need to come up with a better amount for the ESC but I was able to get a longer screw with a spacer into the receiver box and used the heaviest duty Velcro I could find. It’s been pretty solid and never came loose. 4s is insane on that rig
I have a 3674 2950 kv 3s/4s motor and blx185 in my sons brcc. I still need to come up with a better amount for the ESC but I was able to get a longer screw with a spacer into the receiver box and used the heaviest duty Velcro I could find. It’s been pretty solid and never came loose. 4s is insane on that rig

3550E5E8-BF06-42E5-9F7D-89AD1A04FA7D.jpeg

397564DA-CE23-48FD-A116-D798F31E17EE.jpeg

DFC5C32C-A4DE-4237-A0A6-0169848DE5B5.jpeg

@Peteyk49 Thanks I appreciate the info!! How are the motor and ESC temps on 3s and also on 4s? Also have never messed with electronics on my rigs, is it a pain to program the ESC and do you also have to re program receiver with the ESC change? I bet it's insane on 4s but fun as hell!! I love my Granite and to have it 4s capable would just be BADA$$!!
I found at least 10 posts of people running a blx185 in the Granite. By searching "blx185 granite" ?
Can you share some links as I still can't find much of anything.....

Last edited:
4s is great in the granites it is more power and it’s easier to gear down and run cool while still crushing 3s power. 6s with the blx185 might be a bit much

4s is great in the granites it is more power and it’s easier to gear down and run cool while still crushing 3s power. 6s with the blx185 might be a bit much
Ya I never planned to go above 4s in the Granite it would just break everything with that much torque. But running 4s in it just sounds like so much fun?

I ran a BLX185 in my Granite for a while. Thread here -
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/jerry-riggeds-granite-mega-4x4.6226/

Short version, that esc/motor with a 4s battery is too heavy, and the Granite can't put the power to the ground in any way that is usable. I am much happier with the Granite on 3s with a Mamba X and a 3660 3800kv motor. The truck handles much better, and still has more power than it can use.

All the 4s Granite videos I've seen show an overpowered car that's difficult to control. That said, many have upgraded to 4s and are happy with the result. Be prepared to upgrade to the metal spur gear and CVD driveshafts as well. But the Granite definitely won't be able to handle more than 4s. The BLX120 fits on the stock Granite ESC mount, the BLX 185 will not. I see no reason to go more than a BLX120. You'll just create headaches trying to make it work, with no real gain. Meanwhile all that money gets you close to having an Outcast 4s AND a Granite.

Last edited:
I ran a BLX185 in my Granite for a while. Thread here -
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/jerry-riggeds-granite-mega-4x4.6226/

Short version, that esc/motor with a 4s battery is too heavy, and the Granite can't put the power to the ground in any way that is usable. I am much happier with the Granite on 3s with a Mamba X and a 3660 3800kv motor. The truck handles much better, and still has more power than it can use.
This x1000000. I did it and did not care for it. Every time I landed a jump I felt like the chassis was going to break. I ran the complete BLX185 system on 4S. I went back to 3S and I couldn't be happier.

All the 4s Granite videos I've seen show an overpowered car that's difficult to control. That said, many have upgraded to 4s and are happy with the result. Be prepared to upgrade to the metal spur gear and CVD driveshafts as well. But the Granite definitely won't be able to handle more than 4s. The BLX120 fits on the stock Granite ESC mount, the BLX 185 will not. I see no reason to go more than a BLX120. You'll just create headaches trying to make it work, with no real gain. Meanwhile all that money gets you close to having an Outcast 4s AND a Granite.
All I would have to buy would be the larger 3674 motor as I have a free BLX185 coming and also metal HD slipper assembly. Not set on it, and after hearing more drawbacks than gain from you guys probably won't bother. Was just an idea, glad to have you guys on here to get great advice and real life experiences! Now next question is if I run a larger 3674 or even go to a 40mm can will it be to hard on the stock Granite ESC (v2)? Wanting to be able to possibly pull more top speed but also to keep a cool motor and run longer. Thanks again guys I do appreciate the info!

All I would have to buy would be the larger 3674 motor as I have a free BLX185 coming and also metal HD slipper assembly. Not set on it, and after hearing more drawbacks than gain from you guys probably won't bother. Was just an idea, glad to have you guys on here to get great advice and real life experiences! Now next question is if I run a larger 3674 or even go to a 40mm can will it be to hard on the stock Granite ESC (v2)? Wanting to be able to possibly pull more top speed but also to keep a cool motor and run longer. Thanks again guys I do appreciate the info!
I had a cogging issue with my 3S Arrma (can't remember if it was my Granite or BRCC.) I wanted to run an 18t-20t pinion. The BLX100 esc/motor cogged terribly with the larger pinion. Same thing with the Max10 SCT and their equivalent motor (3660 3200kv). Then I tried a BLX185 and the stock BLX100 motor. Still cogged. Also cogged with the HW 3660. The only esc it didn't cog terribly with was the Mamba X. Still cogged but way better.

I think the best solution for cooler running and more power is the BLX120 system.

@jondilly1974 Thanks! Ya don't think I'd want to run anything over maybe 18t in it as have had same issues trying to use 20t for some speed runs bad cogging for sure and temps were way hot just too much for the setup. Currently I've got a surpass hobby 3665 2900kv with stock ESC and it runs cooler than stock but still heats up. Thinking I'm going to get a 3674 and a motor fan and play with gearing to get where I want with it hopefully?

@Peteyk49 Thanks I appreciate the info!! How are the motor and ESC temps on 3s and also on 4s? Also have never messed with electronics on my rigs, is it a pain to program the ESC and do you also have to re program receiver with the ESC change? I bet it's insane on 4s but fun as hell!! I love my Granite and to have it 4s capable would just be BADA$$!!

Can you share some links as I still can't find much of anything.....
On 3S it doesn’t get over 150on .4 S it’s gone over 180°. I had to do a bunch of other upgrades to be able to handle the extra power. Cvd axles, better bearings, all the aluminum upgrades for the drivetrain and the 4S slipper set up. We prefer to run it on 3S. It’s already a handful. 4s is kinda stupid lol.

You can gear a 3S Arrma to run close to 60 mph. For off-road bashing, do you need any more speed? The only reason I'd go to the BLX120 electronics would be for cooler temps, not for more speed.

You can gear a 3S Arrma to run close to 60 mph. For off-road bashing, do you need any more speed? The only reason I'd go to the BLX120 electronics would be for cooler temps, not for more speed.
Who doesn't want more speed??? But no I agree with you there, the 3s setup at 50+mph is more than enough speed especially with how squirly the Granite is. I honestly just want to be able to run a 3s 7200mah pack with no heat issues/cogging or over stressing the electronics.

Who doesn't want more speed??? But no I agree with you there, the 3s setup at 50+mph is more than enough speed especially with how squirly the Granite is. I honestly just want to be able to run a 3s 7200mah pack with no heat issues/cogging or over stressing the electronics.

I don't want more speed out of mu Granite. Can't run it full speed now. At 45-ish, it is right at the edge of control, but still has enough throttle to wheelie/flip on it's lid.
The only esc it didn't cog terribly with was the Mamba X. Still cogged but way better.
I've only run my MX a few times, but lawd, it is smooth. It will crawl at about 1mph with no cogging at all. I am running a 15t, but the higher KV (3800kv vs stock3200kv) gives me more top speed than I can use (see above) and still have the low end power to do standing backflips.:cool::cool::cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back