Talion Anyone run 8s on talion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A13art

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
So I’m just curious if anyone has tried to upgrade their car to 8s. I know the car is fast already but always fun to push the limits more!!! I imagine a maxx 6 paired with a motor should be able to push the talion over 100mph?

I have asked the same question but got no response. I might give it a try if I can find a battery combo that will work without having to buy an 8S battery just for that.

I have asked the same question but got no response. I might give it a try if I can find a battery combo that will work without having to buy an 8S battery just for that.

You should be able to use two 4S in series. I believe the max6 has two connectors stock.

TT

You should be able to use two 4S in series. I believe the max6 has two connectors stock.

TT

The problem I'm having with that is finding decent 4S batteries that are thin enough to stack in the tray. They seem to be almost as big as a 6S battery.

I use these HRB 4s and they are pretty thin. Two should fit stacked.

http://a.co/d/131Alto <----Link to Amazon

I have had really good luck with these HRB packs, they are a bit longer but especially on the Kraton that doesn't hurt anything.

TT

Is the stock motor able to handle 8s or does that need to be swapped?

Personally I was thinking of trying to use the xmaxx motor. Just to see if it can fit in there before I go and invest.

IF you go to FB and look for the Track 13 arrma group - they are speed freaks. Lots of them run 8s, but not with the stock bodies - they use a GT8 body. They add 'wings' to the chassis, and mount one 4s on either side. There are a few custom parts shops that make these battery trays, but I don't have links... (sorry)

I'm putting a Max6 in and was thinking about trying 8s with stock motor. Any advice?

I'm putting a Max6 in and was thinking about trying 8s with stock motor. Any advice?

Have a spare motor handly for when it goes up in smoke. Stock motor is not made to run 8s. The KV is way too high and the motor is too small.

No, just no. The stock motor is 2050KV, 8s would push it beyond 60K rpm! You'd want to look at long can motors with 1000 KV or less. But I personally wouldnt run 8S, the diffs are just not made for it.

No, just no. The stock motor is 2050KV, 8s would push it beyond 60K rpm! You'd want to look at long can motors with 1000 KV or less. But I personally wouldnt run 8S, the diffs are just not made for it.

Lol, I meant running the Max6 and stock motor on 6S. I've read that some have done this, but I'm guessing that their motors or ESC's didn't last too long.
I think that that I have one picked out for when I want to switch to 8s a leopard 5892 1000KV, if that fits.
I'm kinda thinking about returning the Max6 I bought and getting the Max6 combo and gearing up. Any advice?

Lol, I meant running the Max6 and stock motor on 6S. I've read that some have done this, but I'm guessing that their motors or ESC's didn't last too long.
I think that that I have one picked out for when I want to switch to 8s a leopard 5892 1000KV, if that fits.
I'm kinda thinking about returning the Max6 I bought and getting the Max6 combo and gearing up. Any advice?

Using the Max 6 with the stock motor is fine, although the price you pay for upgrading will yield a marginal performance gain, if any.
I wouldn't think using a 5892 motor is ideal, it would require a completely new motor mount, and I believe you'd need 1.5 Mod pinion and spur gears, way too much effort IMO, but I am no expert, others here can better advice you.

EDIT: Instead of the 5892, you might want to consider the Hobbystar 4092 or Leopard 4092. While the hobbystar is not rated for 8s, RC Juice ran it on 8S in a Traxxas UDR. Apparently it was ok, according to them it is ok to run it on 8S as long as you watch the temps. But that's always the case for any motors

Last edited:
Well back in the day (wow I sound old) when we did speed runs, we’d use a mamba monster and a castle 1515 2200kv, and overvolted them both on 8s. Now, obviously neu castle motors are a much higher quality then hobbywing (they were hand built) but I don’t doubt the hobbywing 2050 can take 8s.

Castle’s rpm limit was 60k on the old neu-1515’s from 2010 and I believe hobbywing’s is 50k. Take apart your hobbywing motor and pull the rotor out, and send the pictures here. If it’s kevlar wrapped, you’ll be good. If not, the centrifugal force of the extra rpm will blow the motor after a few runs.

Last edited:
You can’t run below 1000kv on a speed runner. That’s why nobody does. The motor turns so slow that you’d need to gear it so high there’s no gears available.

Oh how speed running has changed.

For the modern speed runner I’d recommend running a 1730kv 4092 that’s Kevlar wrapped on 8s. Hobbystar has one.

Last edited:
You can’t run below 1000kv on a speed runner. That’s why nobody does. The motor turns so slow that you’d need to gear it so high there’s no gears available.

Oh how speed running has changed.

For the modern speed runner I’d recommend running a 1730kv 4092 that’s Kevlar wrapped on 8s. Hobbystar has one.

for sure, way too low KV. I was responding to the post :

I didn;t assume that the poster wanted to attempt a speed run, it wasn;t explicitly stated in his post

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back