Mojave Anyone run a single 3s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notdylan

Reaction score
Hello! I just picked up a second hand Mojave for a good price and while it came with a 6s battery, I want something a little more tame. Does anyone run a single 3s in their Mojave? Does the truck still feel good with a 3s or is 4s the min for the Mojave? Also, I am looking to maximize run time. Is it simply a matter of more mah or does the cell count/voltage play a role as well? Thanks!

Welcome. You could run a 3S but there's a linear response to the throttle and you don't have to mash the trigger to 100% every time. You can turn down the punch if you want tamer launches, but you should be able to control the SCT with a 6S pack just fine by modulating the trigger to suit your desired speed.

As for your question about maximizing runtime, yes, pick a pack with a higher mAh, but remember you also have to account for carrying that weight with you which hurt your run time.

You are correct, I *should* be able to modulate the throttle with a 6s but I know I won't, ha. The power is addictive. Limiting the radio to 50-75% would probably be my best bet. I'm really just trying to decide what batteries to buy, 3s would be more compatible with my other cars but 4s probably fits this truck better. 6s packs are too pricey for me.

I'm not sure how much you can trust low voltage cutoff when running 3s in a 6s rig. With the outcast 6s exb (which might not have the same esc as yours?) I've been trying it with a 3s battery and I find that I need to stop the run on my own and I don't wait for LVC to kick in. It seems like LVC would be willing to let the battery go too low if I let it.

I'm not sure how much you can trust low voltage cutoff when running 3s in a 6s rig. With the outcast 6s exb (which might not have the same esc as yours?) I've been trying it with a 3s battery and I find that I need to stop the run on my own and I don't wait for LVC to kick in. It seems like LVC would be willing to let the battery go too low if I let it.
You can change the LVC value with a programming card or going through the audible beep setup.

A83A43B0-EA91-43CE-A0CA-AF135421F0FB.jpeg

I've been running 3S in my Typhon 6S and it seems fine. The ESC picks it up correctly (3 beeps) and it runs fine. Not had any issues.

You can change the LVC value with a programming card or going through the audible beep setup.

View attachment 232006
Not on the 150A. I confirmed and complained to Arrma about it. That chart is no longer valid for 150A ESC.

My 150A in the T6S LVC's at 3.2v. (I see 3.6v afterwards) Arrma tech confirmed this is the preset LVC on the newest software flash for the Firma ESC's.

Actually not possible to adjust LVC with the Firma 150 - a user just went through this - it's a misprint in one of the manuals that's floating around the Spektrum website: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/new-firma-150-esc-no-lvc-before-or-after-firmware-update.53134/
Wow...... I just learned something....... thats kinda crappy.......
Not on the 150A. I confirmed and complained to Arrma about it. That chart is no longer valid for 150A ESC.

My 150A in the T6S LVC's at 3.2v. (I see 3.6v afterwards) Arrma tech confirmed this is the preset LVC on the newest software flash for the Firma ESC's.
Thank you for telling them...... they need to "get with it....."

Wow you are correct. I just reconnected my programming card and the option is now gone.

I am almost certain the option was there on previous firmwares before I upgraded.

Might have to do some testing.

Edit: just connected my programming card to my 130a esc and it has more options than the 150a esc. Crazy. You can adjust the LVC on there. Video of options

Last edited:
Wow you are correct. I just reconnected my programming card and the option is now gone.

I am almost certain the option was there on previous firmwares before I upgraded.

Might have to do some testing.

Edit: just connected my programming card to my 130a esc and it has more options than the 150a esc. Crazy. You can adjust the LVC on there. Video of options
Yeah, I spoke to a tech at Arrma and he said it WILL work on the 130 but not the 150 model and apologized. I bought the program card JUST SO I could alter LVC. However, the newest firmware unlocked timing.

Hello! I just picked up a second hand Mojave for a good price and while it came with a 6s battery, I want something a little more tame. Does anyone run a single 3s in their Mojave? Does the truck still feel good with a 3s or is 4s the min for the Mojave? Also, I am looking to maximize run time. Is it simply a matter of more mah or does the cell count/voltage play a role as well? Thanks!
If I'm understanding your question here, I would say yes 3s is fine I run my Kraton on 3s in my yard cause well you know why. I would advise you go on say Amazon and get a connector so you can run the 2 3s batteries parallel. This way you will get a much longer run time and a more tamed experience, I know it can be too much sometimes. I do 3s on the Kraton when I take her to the crawler park, yes I do its relaxing. Just the trails obviously.

So if you can't adjust the LVC setting, I assume the ESC will do it automatically? Surely either a 4s or 6s will hit LVC at the right time since the truck is advertised to run on those?
FWIW, LVC is regulated on a voltage per cell basis and not on total voltage. So it really shouldn't matter how many cells your LiPo has. What will make a difference is how many mAh your battery has, the quality and internal resistance (IR) as these will all influence voltage sag under heavy load which will affect how soon the battery dips into the LVC range. As someone has already mentioned, you can increase runtime by running two 3S packs in parallel which will have the added benefit of reducing voltage sag under load (as it, essentially, sees your two batteries as one large battery with twice the mAh capacity of a single pack). Make sure to use two batteries of the same make, age and charge cycles to ensure that they discharge evenly during your run.

WIW, LVC is regulated on a voltage per cell basis and not on total voltage. So it really shouldn't matter how many cells your LiPo has. What will make a difference is how many mAh your battery has, the quality and internal resistance (IR) as these will all influence voltage sag under heavy load which will affect how soon the battery dips into the LVC range. As someone has already mentioned, you can increase runtime by running two 3S packs in parallel which will have the added benefit of reducing voltage sag under load (as it, essentially, sees your two batteries as one large battery with twice the mAh capacity of a single pack). Make sure to use two batteries of the same make, age and charge cycles to ensure that they discharge evenly during your run.
I think unless you have a smart battery there isn't a way for the ESC to know the voltage per cell. It can only do the math of total voltage divided by the number of cells it thinks you have, and then assumes each of the cells is at the same voltage.

On my outcast 6s exb, with a 3s battery, I get 4 beeps instead of 3. Hmmm. It then takes about 30 seconds before it will operate.

You are correct, I *should* be able to modulate the throttle with a 6s but I know I won't, ha. The power is addictive. Limiting the radio to 50-75% would probably be my best bet. I'm really just trying to decide what batteries to buy, 3s would be more compatible with my other cars but 4s probably fits this truck better. 6s packs are too pricey for me.
If you were/are shopping 6s batteries I compiled a list a couple weeks ago when I was looking to buy some on a budget. Mind you, these are only some that will fit in my typhon battery tray

Screenshot_20220710-104059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220710-104115_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think unless you have a smart battery there isn't a way for the ESC to know the voltage per cell. It can only do the math of total voltage divided by the number of cells it thinks you have, and then assumes each of the cells is at the same voltage.

On my outcast 6s exb, with a 3s battery, I get 4 beeps instead of 3. Hmmm. It then takes about 30 seconds before it will operate.
The ESC can't know each cell exactly and it doesn't really need to. Voltage ÷ cell number should suffice assuming that you're using healthy packs.

I just hooked a 3S battery up to my Firma 150A ESC and it beeped three times as it should. So it recognized how many cells my battery has without any SMART battery connection. And it's fair for the ESC to assume that all cells are at the same voltage. It's assuming that you're connecting healthy batteries. Even if your assumptions were correct, a fully charged 3S battery is the equivalent of 3.15V per cell if it thinks you're putting a 4S battery in there. So based on what you said, there's three possibilities here:
  1. The ESC should immediately hit LVC
  2. The ESC has no LVC
  3. You're counting the beep sequence wrong and the ESC is actually recognizing three cells and not four
As for the delayed starting, my assumption is that this has more to do with the gyro/AVC of the receiver and has nothing to do with the voltage of the battery. Yes, 30 seconds does seem excessive. But if you could take a video of it, that would help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back