Mojave Anyone run a single 3s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ESC can't know each cell exactly and it doesn't really need to. Voltage ÷ cell number should suffice assuming that you're using healthy packs.

I just hooked a 3S battery up to my Firma 150A ESC and it beeped three times as it should. So it recognized how many cells my battery has without any SMART battery connection. And it's fair for the ESC to assume that all cells are at the same voltage. It's assuming that you're connecting healthy batteries. Even if your assumptions were correct, a fully charged 3S battery is the equivalent of 3.15V per cell if it thinks you're putting a 4S battery in there. So based on what you said, there's three possibilities here:
  1. The ESC should immediately hit LVC
  2. The ESC has no LVC
  3. You're counting the beep sequence wrong and the ESC is actually recognizing three cells and not four
As for the delayed starting, my assumption is that this has more to do with the gyro/AVC of the receiver and has nothing to do with the voltage of the battery. Yes, 30 seconds does seem excessive. But if you could take a video of it, that would help.

Well it looks like I was full of misinformation. I just listened to the beeps again. It is kind of a "do da dee du du du du". Since there were 4 "du" beeps of the same tone, I took that to mean 4 beeps. But now I think the first "du" is part of the welcome sequence, and the actual count that matters is 3.

Regarding the 30 seconds, well after I sat there at the rig and tried again, and also counted how long 30 seconds really is, I was full of crap. So what I was calling 30 seconds is more like 10 seconds, maybe 15 max once in a while. And most of the time it is well below 10 seconds. Guess I was anxious.

When people do have a smart / Spektrum battery, I wonder if it can look at the individual cell voltages for LVC?

Well it looks like I was full of misinformation. I just listened to the beeps again. It is kind of a "do da dee du du du du". Since there were 4 "du" beeps of the same tone, I took that to mean 4 beeps. But now I think the first "du" is part of the welcome sequence, and the actual count that matters is 3.

Regarding the 30 seconds, well after I sat there at the rig and tried again, and also counted how long 30 seconds really is, I was full of crap. So what I was calling 30 seconds is more like 10 seconds, maybe 15 max once in a while. And most of the time it is well below 10 seconds. Guess I was anxious.

When people do have a smart / Spektrum battery, I wonder if it can look at the individual cell voltages for LVC?
All good bro, I figured it was something like what you described. Good description btw :)
And yeah, perception of time is sometimes all over the place...particularly in anticipation of something. That delay is the gyro/AVC calibration in the Rx.

I might be wrong, but I don't think that it can.

I too have an issue where I turn on the transmitter then the car and still it takes like 10-15 seconds after the final beep for any movement. I just chalked it up to Spektrum Electronics.

I too have an issue where I turn on the transmitter then the car and still it takes like 10-15 seconds for any movement. I just chalked it up to Spektrum Electronics.
As described above (assuming you're running Spektrum/Firma electronics as well) that's the gyro/AVC calibrating in the receiver.

I'd say 4S should be your minimum for the Mojo. Anything less and you'd be selling yourself short of the Mojave experience. Enjoy your 3s packs with your 3s cars, but I think you'll find the perfect tameness with a 4S pack. And if the 4S is still too much, then you can always turn down the throttle. Plus a 4S pack with a large mah rating isn't that much more than a similar 3S pack. That's just my 2 cents as a Mojave owner, but ultimately you know what's best for you. Enjoy your new Mojo, it's a beast of a car! :cool:

I've been running my Mojave on 3S, 6S and 6S with reduced throttle, with an MMX8S and either the CC 1520 motor or Hobbywing 4985, both in 1650KV. Based on how big my bashing area is and who i gave the controls.
I prefer the 1520 motor. It has plenty of power to throw this rig around. I feel the 4985 is massive overkill, but i got it as a spare motor to try while the 1520 was in for warranty.

FWIW, LVC is regulated on a voltage per cell basis and not on total voltage. So it really shouldn't matter how many cells your LiPo has. What will make a difference is how many mAh your battery has, the quality and internal resistance (IR) as these will all influence voltage sag under heavy load which will affect how soon the battery dips into the LVC range. As someone has already mentioned, you can increase runtime by running two 3S packs in parallel which will have the added benefit of reducing voltage sag under load (as it, essentially, sees your two batteries as one large battery with twice the mAh capacity of a single pack). Make sure to use two batteries of the same make, age and charge cycles to ensure that they discharge evenly during your run.
Running two 3S batteries in parallel gives twice the runtime as one single 3S battery, however, put them in series to make 6S and it will reduce current draw significantly. I get 40 minutes of runtime with light bashing on the beach with the CC 1520 motor and about 30 minutes with the 4985 motor, using 2 8500 mAh 3S batteries in series.

Hello! I just picked up a second hand Mojave for a good price and while it came with a 6s battery, I want something a little more tame. Does anyone run a single 3s in their Mojave? Does the truck still feel good with a 3s or is 4s the min for the Mojave? Also, I am looking to maximize run time. Is it simply a matter of more mah or does the cell count/voltage play a role as well? Thanks!
buy a senton 3s then

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back