Anyone shim the axle shafts behind the hexes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJay18

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
This is on my kraton exb 1/8 and I am looking to get some of the slop out of the axles in the hubs. Not sure what size shims I need though.

Thanks

Nevermind. Think I found the size I need.

Last edited:
13 x 16 x 0.1 mm

They come thicker than 0.1mm, you can stack more, but it's good to have assorted thicknesses. They also work on the diffs.

Yes, I do. I made my own shims from thin plastic by drilling 8mm holes with a stepped drill bit and then just cutting around the holes with scissors. They have the advantage of being malleable so, if they're a bit too thick, just take a hammer to them and flatten them out a little.
1660157470441.jpeg

13x16 are you shimming on the inside? What I found was 8mm.
I'm shimming the outer race, but I found something interesting...

I was messing around with different brands of hubs I have and the stock Arrma wont let me use the big shim. Aluminum and Mugen "compatible" hubs I can use a 13mm and conserve my 8mm supply because I use a lot more of those.

I almost ordered that same TRB kit on amazon. Went with kyosho from amain though because I got a few other things.

I got most of the slop out of the suspension with some 4mm shims I had. Now once I get these 8mm shims it will be pretty tight except for the rod ends on the turn buckles. Anyone know how to tighten that up?

I did with these.. just realized they are TRB's and they went out of business, and I thought I never purchased any TRB products!!🤣

View attachment 235133

View attachment 235134
TRB went out of business? I don't see that mentioned on their website https://trbrc.com/
I'm shimming the outer race, but I found something interesting...

I was messing around with different brands of hubs I have and the stock Arrma wont let me use the big shim. Aluminum and Mugen "compatible" hubs I can use a 13mm and conserve my 8mm supply because I use a lot more of those.

You want to shim out the bearing with the shims like on the outer race of the diff bearings,you don't want to shim the axle from everything I have been told.

TRB went out of business? I don't see that mentioned on their website https://trbrc.com/

You want to shim out the bearing with the shims like on the outer race of the diff bearings,you don't want to shim the axle from everything I have been told.
I don't want to shim the diff just the axle stub at the hub. This was common when I raced my sc10. Its not putting any extra pressure on the bearing.

This seems silly.. a shim is a shim no matter where it is placed.. to tight of a shim stack on the outer or the inner will yeild the same result..👍

Who told you this blasphemy!! 🤯

I don't want to shim the diff just the axle stub at the hub. This was common when I raced my sc10. Its not putting any extra pressure on the bearing.
No you use the shims like the diffs use they are the same size and fit right behind the bearing.

This seems silly.. a shim is a shim no matter where it is placed.. to tight of a shim stack on the outer or the inner will yeild the same result..👍
I can't remember the exact reason or where I even read it anymore.

No you use the shims like the diffs use they are the same size and fit right behind the bearing.

I can't remember the exact reason or where I even read it anymore.
It would not matter if I shim out the bearing or shim behind the hex. I also have vitavon hubs with over sized bearings so if the shim you are talking about fits the stock bearing it will not work.

It would not matter if I shim out the bearing or shim behind the hex.
I was just saying that you can use those shims, I know my Kraton EXB came with some spare ones in the hardware bag so most people will already have that size on hand anyway, no need to look for or buy other sized shims.

I was just saying that you can use those shims, I know my Kraton EXB came with some spare ones in the hardware bag so most people will already have that size on hand anyway, no need to look for or buy other sized shims.
True. Thanks for the suggestion but I have oversized vitavon hubs.

I almost ordered that same TRB kit on amazon. Went with kyosho from amain though because I got a few other things.

I got most of the slop out of the suspension with some 4mm shims I had. Now once I get these 8mm shims it will be pretty tight except for the rod ends on the turn buckles. Anyone know how to tighten that up?
Where did u put the 4mm shims!? And i was bitching about the slop in my exb when I first got it.. let me know when u figure something out on the turnbuckles!! 🤣

Where did u put the 4mm shims!? And i was bitching about the slop in my exb when I first got it.. let me know when u figure something out on the turnbuckles!! 🤣
I put the 4mm shims on the front upper a-arm pins and the rear lower hub screw/pin. I am going to try some hot racing pivot balls and see if they fit better.

I did with these.. just realized they are TRB's and they went out of business, and I thought I never purchased any TRB products!!🤣

View attachment 235133

View attachment 235134
TRB is out of business? F' u c xxxxxsticks!

Edit: disregard. Looks like some knucklehead got TRB and TBR confused.😜

I have also shimmed behind the Hexes as pictured in a post above, using TBR shims. 💪

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back