Kraton Anyone try the Castle 1717?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer Kraton

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I had a 4070 TpPoer 1700kv in my Kraton, I use 4s had a 14 tooth pinion.. never got over 100 degrees barely. It was fast enough for my yard.
I am now experimenting with the Traxxas version of Castles 1717 1650kv.

I have only ran this (always had a MMX) motor 3 times and it is still COLD here in Michigan. No heat problems conservative geared with the same 14 tooth pinion. I do think it should have no problem when it gets warmer out.

I just ask because the motor seems perfect for the Kraton, but noone else mentions it in the forum. I did raise the center diff with some spacers between the chassis to clear the large diameter of this motor.

Any body have good or bad experiences with this motor? I haven't ran it enough yet to have a great conclusion. Seems the same or extremely close to what the Tp was like.

Thanks guys,
Chris

Do you have more information now that you experience it a little more ? Are you happy with it ? What temps do you have and have you tried 6S ?

Do you have more information now that you experience it a little more ? Are you happy with it ? What temps do you have and have you tried 6S ?

I have not tried 6s as i don't have matching 3s or a 6s pack, but 4s and 5s I have ran several more packs through it. I can say I love the 1717 motor. It stays cool and has plenty of power to spare.
I just blew my front diff or so it sounds and i have not fixed it yet or i would be driving it almost daily. I have had some troubles with the diffs....these are brand new (2 months) and something just went about a week ago.

I honestly love the motor, no complaints. I raised the whole center diff/motor mount just enough to fit the motor. No problems yet, i don't expect any but another forum member said this threw his bearing out....

I have not tried 6s as i don't have matching 3s or a 6s pack, but 4s and 5s I have ran several more packs through it. I can say I love the 1717 motor. It stays cool and has plenty of power to spare.
I just blew my front diff or so it sounds and i have not fixed it yet or i would be driving it almost daily. I have had some troubles with the diffs....these are brand new (2 months) and something just went about a week ago.

I honestly love the motor, no complaints. I raised the whole center diff/motor mount just enough to fit the motor. No problems yet, i don't expect any but another forum member said this threw his bearing out....
Thanks for your quick answer. So is the motor even warm to the touch ? Have you mesured temps ? Also what tires are you using ?
And finally would you recommand it to me (for my tekno et48.3 on proline trencher 40) or do tou prefer the TP ?

Thanks for your quick answer. So is the motor even warm to the touch ? Have you mesured temps ? Also what tires are you using ?
And finally would you recommand it to me (for my tekno et48.3 on proline trencher 40) or do tou prefer the TP ?

The motor on 4s is average 110-120 on the 87 degree say we had. On 5s it was 140s and this is on my lawn mostly. I have the super swamper tsx or some letters like that.

I would recommend either. Honestly i would try the TpPower 4060 also. Its a tad shorter. The 4070 is 107mm long and the Castle 1717 is like 46mm or 48mm large in diameter. Whatever fits is how i would judge because both motors are extremely efficient and that means low heat

If you can fit it all i would say the Castle because the diameter and length has massive torque. They are (Tp too) up with the most efficient motors.

They differ in kv.
Did you have a preference?
Well the two motor in the xo1 had the same kv but i've heard the castle version is better. But since it's discontinued i'm trying to find out if the traxxas version is still good
And do you have some mesured temps man?

Well the two motor in the xo1 had the same kv but i've heard the castle version is better. But since it's discontinued i'm trying to find out if the traxxas version is still good
And do you have some mesured temps man?
I measure temps almost every run. Trust me they ar 0050kv different. The traxxas motor is altered alittle from the original castle

I have used a 1717 on 3 trucks and it has proven to be too much power and added weight for any of them to handle. That being said, I never used it in my Kraton. They are sweet motors but good lord do they have torque for days.

On a 100c 6S pack they are NASTY!!

I have used a 1717 on 3 trucks and it has proven to be too much power and added weight for any of them to handle. That being said, I never used it in my Kraton. They are sweet motors but good lord do they have torque for days.

On a 100c 6S pack they are NASTY!!

Oh yeah I have not used 6s yet. On 4s with a 17 tooth i think and the tires don't look like they would stay together! Super swamper tsl. I did try 5s Saturday with matching cells but 3 and 2s but only for a few wheelies and 1 pass.... i have to test if i want to go to 5 or 6 or stay at 4. I am happy at 4 in my yard but on the street its slow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back