Anyone Using A BEC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodtoolguy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Is anyone using an external BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) on their rig? It bypasses the power feed from the ESC to the receiver and powers the receiver directly from the battery. The benefits are that Voltage supply is adjustable and up to 10Amp power delivery is attainable.

For those running hi-torque servos it ensures you are getting every ounce-inch of performance from it.

I am planning to put one in a crawling rig and am now considering putting one in my Granite.

Anyone using one?
Any issues you can warn me about?

Thanks all...

Stay away from castle...... your best best is an esc capable of it. When an external fails they will burn up the reciver, servo,esc and sometimes the motor. Only real issues is the castle problem but I don't trust any of them now.

Get a hobbywing 1080 crawler esc. Like 45$. Has build in bec up to 7.4v. That’s what I run in my crawler. Super smooth too. Comes with program car also. I’d spend the 20 more dollars n get the esc

I kinda have my heart set on a sensored brushless system for the crawler project. After my Granite (1st REAL hobby-grade RC vehicle) I'm addicted to the speed.

My intention is to make more of a trail runner than hard-core crawler. Wife & I like to hike & camp, so the plan is to build a rig I can pilot on the hike and have some high-speed fun with after camp is set-up.

Thanks for the info Outcastblxnut. Should I decide to install a brushed system on the trail runner, that is the way to go.

Let me ask again:
Is ANYONE running a BEC on their ARRMA?
If so, what is your opinion of it?

Thanks everyone.
Castles low end BECs are nothing I could ever recommend but things like the WP BEC 2.0 from castle have been proven reliable.

Thank you. My intention was the low-end unit but waterproof sounds like a better choice.

I can say running higher power to the servo is a tremendous increase in the steering of the truck!

I was going to buy the Castle WP BEC 2.0 but then realized I would also need the card to adjust it- so I said screw it and bought a Fuze 160amp ESC as it is capable of 8.4v output to my servo, receiver, and fan motors.

Powering the Savox servo (.055sec / 624.9oz @ 8.4v) I can literally do tight donuts on grass, dirt or road whenever I want...and this is on a longer Kraton Chasiss!

Huge difference from stock where the truck didn't want to turn at all- making horribly wide turns unless slow and off the throttle.

I can say running higher power to the servo is a tremendous increase in the steering of the truck!

I was going to buy the Castle WP BEC 2.0 but then realized I would also need the card to adjust it- so I said screw it and bought a Fuze 160amp ESC as it is capable of 8.4v output to my servo, receiver, and fan motors.

Powering the Savox servo (.055sec / 624.9oz @ 8.4v) I can literally do tight donuts on grass, dirt or road whenever I want...and this is on a longer Kraton Chasiss!

Huge difference from stock where the truck didn't want to turn at all- making horribly wide turns unless slow and off the throttle.

That's exactly why I want to install the external BEC on my Granite 3S. No point in buying a better steering servo if the BEC will not give it enough Volts/Amps to perform up to it's potential.

I have a few questions:
Is the BEC output adjustable on the FUZE 160Amp ESC?
If so, what do you have it set at?
What model Savox steering servo on your Kraton?
What model Kraton, 4S, 6S or 8S?

Thank you.

Even a better servo at 6.0v is a huge difference in steering. Unless you have a crawl that has wide tires or is heavy you can find easily high torque servo designed for 6v.

After reading this, it makes me want to remove the castle 10A out of my ERBEv2. I put it in there because the esc I had at the time (HPI F360C/rebadged MMv1) had a 3A limit and the fans would drop rpm's when I steered with a relatively low power servo.

Now that I have the HW Max6, I don't really need it, but I didn't take it out as it was all wired in and taped to the receiver in the receiver box.

After reading this, it makes me want to remove the castle 10A out of my ERBEv2. I put it in there because the esc I had at the time (HPI F360C/rebadged MMv1) had a 3A limit and the fans would drop rpm's when I steered with a relatively low power servo.

Now that I have the HW Max6, I don't really need it, but I didn't take it out as it was all wired in and taped to the receiver in the receiver box.

I have decided I am NOT going to put an external BEC in my Granite. It simply is not necessary.

The Granite BLX100 3S ESC provides up to 6.0V and 4A as per the mfg specs. I tested it at 6.07V with both a 2S & 3S LiPo. The LiPos had a storage charge on them, they were not fully charged.

The SRX200 receiver is rated at 3.5 - 9.6V as per mfg specs. With a 2S LiPo the receiver will be safe in the event the external BEC fails and delivers full voltage to the receiver (2S LiPo approx. 7.6V). The stock servo will be fried, but that is no big loss. On the other hand, a 3S LiPo is approx. 11.3 Volts. That could produce a full melt-down if the external BEC fails. I use both 2S & 3S LiPo batteries. Unnecessary risk.

The reality is that I am only driving 1 servo. No lights or other sources of power draw. The stock BEC will give me enough juice to run a bigger servo when the time comes to upgrade.

Incidentally, the stock servo is rated at 7kg-cm at 7.2V. With the stock BEC providing 6V I'm not even getting the full rating of the already underpowered servo!

For a scale crawler with multiple servos (steering, diff locks, lights, winch) it makes sense. If that future project takes shape the Castle 2.0 waterproof unit will be my choice (thanks Peeeenuuutt!).

Thanks for the feedback, input, opinions and discussion. I am early in my RC hobby. I can get preoccupied and get the "itch" to add every doodad I learn about.

I was wondering the same . lets say stock kraton v4 stock electronics ..
i buy a savox 1210 you cant get full power unless you bec or change out the esc..

now is there a decent bec that can get that extra servo torque or is it better to just change the esc unit?
I just added a small 7.4v Lipo to run my savox 1210sg. Charge lasts many run, has full power all the time and I use the stock esc without issue. Cost me a whopping $7 on amazon.

I would just change esc... by the time you buy a good bec and a castle link to change the voltage. You are only a few dollars away from a esc. And bec you cant safely shove then in a radio box as they get hot. So then you have it bouncing all around. For a basher get an esc for a crawler get a bec as it has a much higher amp rating for all the extra servos.

I would just change esc... by the time you buy a good bec and a castle link to change the voltage. You are only a few dollars away from a esc. And bec you cant safely shove then in a radio box as they get hot. So then you have it bouncing all around. For a basher get an esc for a crawler get a bec as it has a much higher amp rating for all the extra servos.
thats my thinking.. im trying to steer my radio purchase that way..
like if i buy sa spektrum dx5 rugged or dx5 pro i would probably get a spektrum esc to use the bells and whistles
but if i bought a futaba 4pm i guess my esc options are open for the most part

i don't need telemetry on a kraton but it might be fun to see speed etc voltage
just trying to plan for the future etc..

i was considering this
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMXSE1150

I have only had your basic spectrum radios. They worked great for me. As they should for you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back