Anyone using a DX3R Radio? Low end Spektrum to better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megafandrew

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
  2. Typhon 6s
Do any of you guys run a Spektrum DX3R anymore? It’s a bit older radio. I’ve had an offer made for it but I’m just wondering if it’s worth keeping and using anymore or to sell and upgrade to newer technology? Do you hold on to your old RC stuff? Am I a hoarder lol? Even though I’m not using it I sometimes Can’t bring myself to sell gear. I can sell RC cars themselves no problem usually. I was thinking if I got the new Typhon 6S soon I would swap out the junk radio and install this one. Worth hanging onto it? Thanks for any insight.

4EA3B5C0-5355-4132-9065-DD16C513962E.jpeg
4B593529-7582-49C4-8C5D-C6DDB6C07B17.jpeg

Anything better than stx 2?.
I spy a tenacity. How you like it?
Haha suppose your right about those stx2 ?. Might as well make use of it probally not worth much im a used market now anyways with all the new radios.

ahh yes the Tenacity good eye ?. Yes it’s the DB pro it’s a very awesome RC. I coupdnt believe the attention to detail when it was assembled it’s solidly built, thick a-arms, really nice aluminum shocks and caps, 6061 chassis and shock towers real thick for scale, it’s heavy feels quality like an Arrma, cvds all around, steel diffs and spur, electronics are very nice it drives and handles very good it loves to jump not basher style jumping like the outcast ? but on a track 1/10 it would be hard to touch setup right! I think though overall I like the most is the build quality and materials used on this RC its well worth the investment.

Since I go out alot with friends or family when I run I am thinking to buy the TT pro short course truck. I like them that much. Same chassis and everything just a truck style body bumpers and tires I think. I forgot to say very easy to work on

Haha suppose your right about those stx2 ?. Might as well make use of it probally not worth much im a used market now anyways with all the new radios.

ahh yes the Tenacity good eye ?. Yes it’s the DB pro it’s a very awesome RC. I coupdnt believe the attention to detail when it was assembled it’s solidly built, thick a-arms, really nice aluminum shocks and caps, 6061 chassis and shock towers real thick for scale, it’s heavy feels quality like an Arrma, cvds all around, steel diffs and spur, electronics are very nice it drives and handles very good it loves to jump not basher style jumping like the outcast ? but on a track 1/10 it would be hard to touch setup right! I think though overall I like the most is the build quality and materials used on this RC its well worth the investment.

Since I go out alot with friends or family when I run I am thinking to buy the TT pro short course truck. I like them that much. Same chassis and everything just a truck style body bumpers and tires I think. I forgot to say very easy to work on
I just got the tt pro. It’s sick. Was just checking with someone who had one to get some feedback ????

I still have a DX3 I got 13 years ago. The problem is finding receivers to work with it. I have two. I love the feel of the radio. Very solid. I wish they still made them like this. I now use a DX5 Rugged.

Do any of you guys run a Spektrum DX3R anymore? It’s a bit older radio. I’ve had an offer made for it but I’m just wondering if it’s worth keeping and using anymore or to sell and upgrade to newer technology? Do you hold on to your old RC stuff? Am I a hoarder lol? Even though I’m not using it I sometimes Can’t bring myself to sell gear. I can sell RC cars themselves no problem usually. I was thinking if I got the new Typhon 6S soon I would swap out the junk radio and install this one. Worth hanging onto it? Thanks for any insight.

View attachment 63435View attachment 63436
Yessir, should be ok. Just let me know what receiver you’re pairing it with. A lot of them are real bad and have costed me $. However, ones like the SR3100 are awesome and have no issues. Here’s my old spektrum:
image.jpg

I have a DX3R in a drawer that I bought quite a few years back. I can't recall if it's DSM2 compatible or just DSM. I got it due to having range issues, which ended up being receiver related. All the receivers at the time were single wire antenna's. I even tried modifying it to add a 5th cell in the handle to increase the voltage. Didn't help.

Then I tried upgrading to a DSM2 system, had the same issue, same type of antenna. After fighting with it for years, I found coaxial antenna receivers and tripled my range.

All my receivers now are DSM2 or DSMR with coaxial antenna's and I use a DX5C now.

No clue why I just didn't give up and go with futaba or airtronics... 10 trucks on it now and don't feel like spending $800 on receivers. lol!

Yessir, should be ok. Just let me know what receiver you’re pairing it with. A lot of them are real bad and have costed me $. However, ones like the SR3100 are awesome and have no issues. Here’s my old spektrum:
View attachment 63569
Hello nice radio there! ?. Yes I’ve had some trouble pairing with newer recievers. I do have the original sr3100 it came with and bought a spare so I just use those two. That’s my radio
I have a DX3R in a drawer that I bought quite a few years back. I can't recall if it's DSM2 compatible or just DSM. I got it due to having range issues, which ended up being receiver related. All the receivers at the time were single wire antenna's. I even tried modifying it to add a 5th cell in the handle to increase the voltage. Didn't help.

Then I tried upgrading to a DSM2 system, had the same issue, same type of antenna. After fighting with it for years, I found coaxial antenna receivers and tripled my range.

All my receivers now are DSM2 or DSMR with coaxial antenna's and I use a DX5C now.

No clue why I just didn't give up and go with futaba or airtronics... 10 trucks on it now and don't feel like spending $800 on receivers. lol!
I hear you, Futaba is a good radio! Same with Airtronics or Sawna I think the DX3R is dsmr but it is compatible with DSM2. When I think about it I’ve always had some issues with Spektrum. I’ve got a dx5c also! It’s a decent radio I think.

Ah, the DX3R is DSM2 compatible, so likely works with DSM/DSM2. If a DSMR receiver can work with DSM2, then it should work with it... could have swore the one I had was DSM only. Been a long time since I took it out of the drawer.

I upgraded from the dx3c to the dx5c so I didn't have the antenna sticking out. I busted the hinge on my DX3C. lol!

Just looked, I have the DX3S. Compatible with DSM/DSM2.

View attachment 63435View attachment 63436
I have that same radio. She is a oldie. She still works good. My son uses it with his notorious. I still have 4 spare receivers. Lol. That was my go to radio! Now I have a px7.
Keep it. They are still a great radio.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back