Typhon Anyone using gyro?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hampus

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Having a Traxxas with gyro and now my Typhon TLR without, I’m wondering if I should get one. What do you guys think? Worth it? Anyone that is running a gyro and what exactly are you running?

Regards,
Hampus

Well, are you racing? If you are, it might not be allowed by your local track.

I feel stand alone gyros are usually better. It's why the Hardcore Drifter crowd use them. But any Rx integrated gyro can work. Setup can be a bear. Gyros can be a nuisance at times. Other times they work just fine. I don't like them for big air. I have many across all my rigs. Spektrum Rx's, Radio link etc.
I also have a standalone SkyRC GC-401, 2 of them, with selectable curves for different types of rigs and driving style. I like it. Probabaly the best Gyro I've used.
I did my research and standalone ones seem to be best. There is a learning curve to setting up all Gyros. If you don't follow instructions, they will work against you and be a PIA. They will oscillate your steering, make it very hard or even uncontrollable altogether.
If you have the patience go for it.
I have a TLR build on my bench. It will NOT get a Gyro. I am setting it up on 4s as a race rig. I want pure driver input with this particular rig. Why I got the TLR to begin with. Just me.
Like @pug stated above IF racing at the track Gyro's are not allowed in competition. At least in legit sanctioned competition. And quite honestly Gyros suck for any air/jumps especially on a confined technical track. Works against you. From my experience.

Edited.

Last edited:
I have gyro in the DumboRC’s. It’s turned off 99.5% of the time, but sometimes when the Mojave is on very bumpy ground and having difficulty keeping straight I sometimes turn it on to check if it still works🤣. And yes it works.👍.

I find that with all my gyros, that Gain should be no more than 10%. Run best.
With Big air freestyle bashing, flips and all, that gyros suck. Surface Gyros operate in a single plane Axis, and not meant for exceeding this plane of axis.
The rig should be driven basically in a flat orientation for them to work. In any other way, The servo/wheels will flail and operate negatively on landing.
Some servos work better than others with Gyros from my exper. Gyros can really tax and overheat some servos. Especially cheap analog servos.
If you don't mount the Gyro/Rx with Gyro, properly and firmly mounted, the gyro gets whacked out. It should not touch anything around it. Because these are Vibration Sensor based Gyros. Chassis vibration makes them finicky and unable to be precise enough. Only Servo tape should be used. Rigidly secured.
Also when powering on the rig, the radio must always be on First, and the rig must must placed on the ground flat and unmoved ( still) so the gyro can initialize and calibrate properly to its plane of axis. A big mistake many make. As I did in the beginning.
Just some more food for thought.:cool:

Last edited:
99.999999% of TLR's will never be raced. I know.;)
Depending how you will bash, govern yourself accordingly.
Gyros can be fun. Especially if you like the technology challenge.(y)
They do work like they are supposed to. Just not simply plug and play however.
When set up properly, you should not even notice it's operation. That it's even there.
Just that it will seem like you drive much better.:LOL:

I have AVC on two of my four all-up cars. I run my gain and priority settings low. Remember, if the Tx wheel is turned past the priority threshold, AVC is canclelled, so you can still do slides and maneuvers as long as you are actively steering. Throttle gains I turn very low. Basically, it helps me aim straight at jumps without being knocked off course by rough terrain. That's a win, more passes hit the jump than misses. All in all, it is a very personal thing, but I enjoy AVC. It can be disabled, but you must re-bind after enabling/disabling AVC to get it to stick.

I've got one, flysky gt5 and bs6. Wasn't terrible to setup. If it oscillates, turn it down a hair. Made getting on the throttle hard on the typhon a bit less hairy. Not as squirrely w/ that short wheelbase.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back