Kraton Anything wrong with doing this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooi

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
These Louise MT Mcross dwarf the badlands but I cant use them up front because steering sucks. I just had a run and it seems ok but looks a bit disproportionate.
Ive never seen this before on 4wd. Any reason why I shouldnt?

Attachments

• 20180220_193628.jpg
    20180220_193628.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 212
From side

Attachments

• 20180220_195748.jpg
    20180220_195748.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 163
@gooi aside for maybe looks (I guess?) - no there is nothing wrong with using two different types of tires on your Kraton.

Are you sure this is the case with multiple tire sizes on a single car? This will cause uneven rotation between the front/rear tires, and unless you're running super heavy diff fluid, you're going to push more power to the front wheels.

This is a huge no-no in the full-size car world, but I can't speak exactly to the impact it will have on the smaller diffs in an RC. I'm curious to learn more, or to find out if the diffs in smaller cars are much less susceptible to the damage that a full-size car would when doing the same.

Thats what I was wondering too. Will it mess with the diffs? It does seem to wheelie a bit more. I thought it would translate to more back power which would be good I think.

In all of the many years I've been in RC, I can't recall anytime I've worried about rotating my RC tires. Then again I'm a basher and not a racer.

I don't mean rotation as in moving one tire to another location on the vehicle, I mean rotation as in the wheel spinning on the vehicle.

The front and rear diffs are going to be spinning at different rates due to the wheel size difference. Due to this difference, the center differential is going to have to work harder to compensate.

This will also have a negative impact on power delivery, as there is less torque necessary to turn the smaller wheels (less rotational mass) compared to the large. The center diff is going to attempt to send more power to the front wheels as well.

As others have mentioned, it would be inadvisable to run this type of wheel difference. Your diffs will thank you.

Thanks for the input folks.

Im new to the hobby and interested in whats happening here.
I can see that with this wheel arrangement Im asking the diff to do more work with the different circumference wheels, but it seems like these RC diffs are copping it all day long anyway. We go for a bash/drive and front tyres are ballooning. We add thicker fluid to make them less diff-like, for performance reasons. They clearly operate outside the regular equilibrium of normal cars.

Mind you my Kraton is making an awful sound in reverse today.

I agree with Dingo. Running any different size tires on a 4WD or AWD in the real world (full scale) is a big "no-no". This will cause many problems to the drivetrain (running gear), due to the uneven tire rotation. I do agree that RC's are different, especially with 3 diffs that can be tuned with different oil weights, but still think running different size tires is not a good thing, even on a RC. This would include using just 2 wider heavier tires or 2 taller tires on your RC. Since your big heavy rear tires take a lot more to turn them, most of the power would bleed to the front causing a lot of front tire ballooning, I would think? More importantly though, I believe this could cause uneven torque/stress on your drivetrain and possible premature wear & breakage? I would not do this. If you want just bigger tires on the back, get a 2WD, would be my suggestion.

Not to mention there would be a fair amount of on throttle push coming out of turns.

Well Ive persisted and I must say had a great bash today. I like how it goes; more rear wheel drive attitude, nice air control and soft landings. No doubt ill break something like the centre diff though.

Well Ive persisted and I must say had a great bash today. I like how it goes; more rear wheel drive attitude, nice air control and soft landings. No doubt ill break something like the centre diff though.

It will cause problems eventually..seen it happen on a hyper st, melted the centre diff.....

Will not b good for centre diff. A set of backflips is hard to beat if you want to go with bigger diameter tyres - may be a better option.

If the truck is more fun to drive then happy days! Life's too short to debate about something breaking - this hobby is all about having fun after all! Bash on dude!:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back