Outcast Are all the ARRMA 6s similar in noise to the Outcast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont Care Not Listening GIF by MOODMAN

Buy some of these and hand them out to your neighbors.🤪 jk

hey could you make a video so we can hear it? It might just be the sound it should make 😂

The other day I tried to take some video with my phone in one hand and holding the transmitter in the other, while I had the body off, before I made any adjustments to the mesh or any other wrenching. The one handed driving was terrible but I'll see if any of the footage came out okay / hopefully the sound was captured well enough. If not I'll make a new recording.

@Alan I just found a video that I think sounds really close to how mine sounded new out of the box (and still does sound like mine, how I have the mesh now).

For example at the 6 second mark in the video, as it's in the air off the ramp, I get that kind of sound. And at around 8:32 mark on the road. And overall in general, I would say that mine sounds a lot like this one. I guess the good news is that probably nothing is wrong with mine. Bad news is it's just noisier than I anticipated. But I'm still going to try some of those things we discussed. The outcast seems like a perfect fit for this guy's space in the video.

Also just got done watching one of the Rick Duperdash videos in sand, man that looks fun. I always felt that sand was bad for my dirt bikes, but I did it anyway. I wonder how it is on RC cars? Probably hard on bearings.

Tonight did a double check on the mesh before applying thread lock. Everything seemed pretty good (except for the mosquitos) then suddenly a new / terrible noise came out of nowhere. Saw some aluminum dust near the pinion. Turns out the pinion is just floating around, and it was grinding away at the motor mount when it drifted in that direction The set screw must have come loose. Hope it's still there. I'm certain this was not contributing to the earlier noise because this was totally different, and I had the motor mount in my hand really studying it the other day / would have noticed. Not impressed with ARRMA quality assurance at the moment. I have Loctite 242. I'll have to see if that is okay to use for the set screw in the pinion.

@Alan Thanks for the TL info.. On Saturday I did replace the original screws with M4x20 cap head screws with washers. To get the original screws out, for one of them heat from a soldering iron was enough to help loosen it up. For the other I ended up rounding out the hex head and had to use a dremel cutoff wheel to create a slot for flat blade screwdriver. Kind of blows my mind ARRMA gives you an extra pinion for high speed (essentially inviting the owner to go for it), when it's really difficult to get those screws out. So far I've never changed any of my pinions from what came from the factory.

I thought of a possible solution to the noise coming from the pinion & center diff, you coul look into a belt drive setup. It would remove the pinion and center diff
I’m playing with a belt system project and am using these so far

Attachments

• 38942D4E-F43F-480A-AEE2-62F214ACC2A1.png
    38942D4E-F43F-480A-AEE2-62F214ACC2A1.png
    449.4 KB · Views: 35
I thought of a possible solution to the noise coming from the pinion & center diff, you coul look into a belt drive setup. It would remove the pinion and center diff
I’m playing with a belt system project and am using these so far
I'd be real interested in how your project works out. If replace the spur gear on the center diff with the toothed pully like you're looking at, would it be possible to keep the center diff?

To avoid stripping the pulley at the small pulley, would probably need to avoid 6s and turn down the punch setting?

Would you separate the motor from the spur pulley by how much the motor mount presently allows it to slide? I'm guessing the gap is something like this sketch?

belt.PNG

I’m trinkering with a little different way to set it up, but no I don’t think it’s possible to keep the diff in the center, but I honestly haven’t thought of anyway to try it I’m not doing that I’m try it on a speed vehicle lol there’s a couple YouTube videos on it I’ll look for them and post links as I find them for it.

I’m trinkering with a little different way to set it up, but no I don’t think it’s possible to keep the diff in the center, but I honestly haven’t thought of anyway to try it I’m not doing that I’m try it on a speed vehicle lol there’s a couple YouTube videos on it I’ll look for them and post links as I find them for it.
There's a channel on Youtube called Patton Hobbies who does drag racing with belt & pulley setups in Limitless/Infraction rigs.

Wow, that's pretty awesome. It is definitely way quieter. Kind of helps to prove what we already knew, that the pinion/spur gear is the main source of the noise.

It would take some customizing, but that’s part of the fun too, I’m just messin around with stuff myself and thought it might help, but just measure very carefully it would be like putting a spool into the rig instead of the spur/diff gear so basically you need the 5mm gear on the stock motor shaft, and the spool would be best by cutting your own if possible, I’d buy a piece of 8mm steal tool round bar about 100mm long and the 8mm belt gear and 8mm drive cupsl 8x16x5mm Abec5 hybrid or ceramic bearings, some spacer cf like a lean goth of 8mm ID x 10mm OD carbon fiber tube, (you can use the extra over the red center brace if you have one like Ive done in a couple of my pics you can see it
A080B9AF-7A44-4B30-B851-04B5569F5569.jpeg

some of the parts needed
2E99ED7F-E05F-4567-949A-847E96E93515.jpeg
54BB7637-1A3B-4CDD-96D0-AC15855A9215.png
C3077A75-EC2A-4020-8EE9-54CDE4A82D3E.jpeg

basically making something like this but with a belt gear
B99626E0-7B67-47FC-B0D5-1D53B3429756.png

E7096A62-79D3-484C-9A8C-7A09B1490B5A.jpeg

It would take some customizing, but that’s part of the fun too, I’m just messin around with stuff myself and thought it might help, but just measure very carefully it would be like putting a spool into the rig instead of the spur/diff gear so basically you need the 5mm gear on the stock motor shaft, and the spool would be best by cutting your own if possible, I’d buy a piece of 8mm steal tool round bar about 100mm long and the 8mm belt gear and 8mm drive cupsl 8x16x5mm Abec5 hybrid or ceramic bearings, some spacer cf like a lean goth of 8mm ID x 10mm OD carbon fiber tube, (you can use the extra over the red center brace if you have one like Ive done in a couple of my pics you can see it
man, that is quite the engineering project. After hearing those videos from Patton Hobbies this idea seems worth pursuing. I wonder why the manufacturers aren't looking into this (unless they already have and there are some limitations they couldn't overcome).

Not sure, but I personally don’t mind the noise my rigs make lol, sometimes like jets or monsters
I got into recovery from drugs and was told to get a hobby, and I dove into a year long binge of project idea after project idea in the rc cars, boats, planes, etc… and must of bought $10k+ on different rigs tools and ideas. In like 6months in 2021. But in August of 2021 I got my new puppy Buddy who took over my entire universe and I kinda stopped a lot of my projects. I couldn’t be happier 2 years clean a good hobby and a wonderful dog. So I have had lots of research into things but still have lots of winter projects ready for this winter hopefully as I get more healthy the more I do. Sadly last winter my rc hobby took the back burner. But I’ll be ready to get going on long term projects after summer
5F298C48-9FDF-45DD-8079-C21B3B6E4B2B.jpeg
959D0F99-6262-4F75-A209-DE10259DAE0E.jpeg

My Buddy

Last edited:
I got into recovery from drugs and was told to get a hobby, and I dove into a year long binge of project idea after project idea in the rc cars, boats, planes, etc… and must of bought $10k+ on different rigs tools and ideas. In like 6months in 2021. But in August of 2021 I got my new puppy Buddy who took over my entire universe and I kinda stopped a lot of my projects. I couldn’t be happier 2 years clean a good hobby and a wonderful dog.
Awesome story! Glad you found a good buddy and a good hobby!👏🤙💪

Not sure, but I personally don’t mind the noise my rigs make lol, sometimes like jets or monsters
I got into recovery from drugs and was told to get a hobby, and I dove into a year long binge of project idea after project idea in the rc cars, boats, planes, etc… and must of bought $10k+ on different rigs tools and ideas. In like 6months in 2021. But in August of 2021 I got my new puppy Buddy who took over my entire universe and I kinda stopped a lot of my projects. I couldn’t be happier 2 years clean a good hobby and a wonderful dog. So I have had lots of research into things but still have lots of winter projects ready for this winter hopefully as I get more healthy the more I do. Sadly last winter my rc hobby took the back burner. But I’ll be ready to get going on long term projects after summer View attachment 231951View attachment 231950
My Buddy
Congratulations brother in Arrm(a)s (y) I feel ya man. I went to detox in 2013 and I've been clean since...not without the help of a variety of interests and hobbies over the years that I obsessed over as well. As they say...Idle hands are the devil's workshop. That's a handsome fella you have there and respect to you for getting clean.
George C Scott America GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I got into recovery from drugs and was told to get a hobby, and I dove into a year long binge of project idea after project idea in the rc cars, boats, planes, etc… and must of bought $10k+ on different rigs tools and ideas. In like 6months in 2021. But in August of 2021 I got my new puppy Buddy who took over my entire universe and I kinda stopped a lot of my projects. I couldn’t be happier 2 years clean a good hobby and a wonderful dog. So I have had lots of research into things but still have lots of winter projects ready for this winter hopefully as I get more healthy the more I do. Sadly last winter my rc hobby took the back burner. But I’ll be ready to get going on long term projects after summer
Thanks for sharing your story brother. Pooches give you everything they've got and don't ask for much in return (well, maybe when they wedge their snout into your hands for attention or drop a toy into your lap) Having projects on the back burner, nothing wrong with that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back