Outcast Are all the ARRMA 6s similar in noise to the Outcast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want the dewalt gyro’s myself, but I have 2 of my current mini electric drills one for my 2mm and one for 2.5mm bits lol it saves me 1-2secones of time I don’t have to switch bits lol the bits I use are mip’s though as well.
26CD10C2-33BE-4D86-A9FE-29D3D2379AAA.png

I love these little guys

I really like this Walmart special cause of the 6 torque settings , 1 being perfect for the smaller screws and midway setting for the chassis screws etc..

F6C3648A-EC7F-4B07-95EA-CE1642B4CEBB.png

Well that was just 6 hours of my life I'll never get back. Experimented with some more mods to reduce the noise on the outcast. Mostly a big fail. But now that I've wrenched on it enough, there's no returning it.... So then we felt more comfortable jumping and pushing it harder.

ARRMA, dang, those top motor mount screws, you could have done much better. I ended up having to use my dremel cutoff wheel to get one of them loose. I did replace with new screws with the 3mm wrench size like @Diem Turner recommended, so I'm really happy about that part.

I found that the motor by itself is super quiet. The EXB center diff by itself was plenty quiet as well. So everything pointed to the spur/pinion gear noise as the main culprit.

Just to see what would happen, I isolated the motor mount from the chassis using thin rubber washers (on both sides of the chassis). And did the same thing to the bracket on the other side of the center diff. I thought maybe if the chassis vibrated less it would be less noisy. But it didn't seem to make a bit of difference to the noise level. Waste of time and effort.

What seemed to work best again was trying to make a soft enclosure to kind of trap/absorb the noise inside around the pinion. But it wasn't going to be okay thermally for very long. So then I put everything back to normal. Hopefully have the mesh set right.

@Alan , @glock holiday After seeing your pics it reminded me that we have a cheapie workzone cordless form Aldi's that I had completely forgotten about. We actually found it today. Kid had it. Now I just need to get the get the bits. It doesn't have the torque adjustments, but I won't use it to make screws tight.

The outcast isn't good for turning very sharply at high speed with the front wheels just grazing the ground. But in the air it was more stable than I expected (but I'm not sending very far). Lot of fun.
workzone_cordless_screwdriver.PNG

Did you set/check the mesh on the ring/pinion gears on the diffs? If they're too loose, it gets pretty loud as they slap each other around.

Did you set/check the mesh on the ring/pinion gears on the diffs? If they're too loose, it gets pretty loud as they slap each other around.

Hmm, I'll have to try that, especially on the center diff. Yesterday I built a little shroud around the pinion/spur gear to keep out a rag, and then stuffed a rag over the motor / spur / ESC area (very temporarily) just to see for a few minutes. It made a really big improvement. So I don't think it's the front or rear diffs.. But today while messing around I ran the motor at fairly low speed with no dog bones going to the center diff, and it was loud and crappy sounding. So you may be onto something. When it's all together, I notice that at certain speeds it is louder, kind of resonates. (which could be the mesh, right?)

Yesterday @abh16 mentioned that his outcast is much louder than his Kraton. I'm still wondering about that as well.

I think a big part of it is that, coming from 3s to our first 6s, my expectations weren't realistic.

Hmm, I'll have to try that, especially on the center diff. Yesterday I built a little shroud around the pinion/spur gear to keep out a rag, and then stuffed a rag over the motor / spur / ESC area (very temporarily) just to see for a few minutes. It made a really big improvement. So I don't think it's the front or rear diffs.. But today while messing around I ran the motor at fairly low speed with no dog bones going to the center diff, and it was loud and crappy sounding. So you may be onto something. When it's all together, I notice that at certain speeds it is louder, kind of resonates. (which could be the mesh, right?)

Yesterday @abh16 mentioned that his outcast is much louder than his Kraton. I'm still wondering about that as well.

I think a big part of it is that, coming from 3s to our first 6s, my expectations weren't realistic.
Look at it as a sound of POWER.
Then the noise doesn't sound like noise it sounds like a badass!:cool:

What you're describing...to me it sounds like either something is out of alignment or your gears are chewed up. Assuming the chassis is still straight it probably shouldn't be the former. I've had the motor mount come loose on my Infraction during an outing which bunged up the tips of the teeth on the pinion gear and the thing became almost unbearably loud.

Wait, 23 respon

Wait, 23 responses and nobody said to check your mesh??? :oops:

I want the dewalt gyro’s myself, but I have 2 of my current mini electric drills one for my 2mm and one for 2.5mm bits lol it saves me 1-2secones of time I don’t have to switch bits lol the bits I use are mip’s though as well.
View attachment 229918
I love these little guys
haha i'm tempted to get one or 2 of these now. I have switching bits with a passion.

to OP:
You could also try to put some sound absorber on the inside of the body shell like foam tape or something to keep the noise inside the body more

haha i'm tempted to get one or 2 of these now. I have switching bits with a passion.
It was well worth the $20 in my opinion

Wait, 23 responses and nobody said to check your mesh???
Yesterday I did adjust the mesh between pinion and spur about 5 times, purposely ranging from too loose to just about as tight as it would go (I run out of adjustment room in the sliding bracket at the same time it starts to be too tight). I'm not sure if at the end of the day yesterday that I ended up in the right spot, but I think it's about right / it's certainly not too tight as I have it now. I haven't threadlocked it yet. Also, when it seems to resonate at certain speeds, I was wondering if that is a mesh issue, but it was also like that on the very first run out of the box, so again it's probably all normal.

Look at it as a sound of POWER.
Then the noise doesn't sound like noise it sounds like a badass!:cool:

Lol, yeah I don't really mind the sound / kind of like it. I'm just trying to be a good neighbor, as folks on both sides of us like to sit on their patios and chill out. It depends on how often we're bashing and how often they're outside. We're not like right on top of each other, and there is some reasonable distance between us.

What you're describing...to me it sounds like either something is out of alignment or your gears are chewed up. Assuming the chassis is still straight it probably shouldn't be the former. I've had the motor mount come loose on my Infraction during an outing which bunged up the tips of the teeth on the pinion gear and the thing became almost unbearably loud.
Well it's brand new, I only opened the box a few days ago. I'm 90% sure that if experienced ARRMA 6s bashers like yourselves heard it, you would all say it's all normal, and some cars just run a little louder than others. I was just surprised by it after only having 3s until now, and trying to see if there's something I can do while it's fresh on my mind.

to OP:
You could also try to put some sound absorber on the inside of the body shell like foam tape or something to keep the noise inside the body more
Yes, I've been thinking this as well and want to try it. From what I've seen with these little experiments over the last couple of days, I think this might help. Some kind of absorber inside the body, and also on the inside of the plastic walls attached to the chassis. All this shroud stuff I had been trying was quick and easy, but would never work because it blocked airflow. The main thing I learned yesterday was that isolating the motor mount etc from the chassis using thin rubber didn't help at all.

YT's most irritating video.:ROFLMAO: But it kinda shows how loud the gears can be on these things. (GP is in the waterproof case)
I would say my outcast is always at least as loud as that at that speed, and generally quite a bit louder. Especially when it kind of resonates with more of a rattly sound at certain speeds. There are certain speeds where it quiets down. During a jump off a ramp, when the wheels start spinning freely, I could see that being the most annoying part of the sound to the neighbors.

You don’t really need to worry about air flow in a basher, just watch temps and don’t stuff the body full, I was thinking like 1/4” thick 2” wide insulation tape inside your body like this stuff
Thanks for pointing to that material. I was thinking it would need to be some expensive stuff, but that's not bad. About airflow, I'm going to start searching for what type of fan to put on the motor. I'm still surprised ARRMA puts a fan on the 3s motors (at least for the Granite and Vorteks) but not 6s. The motor feels pretty dang hot after I'm done with a pack, but I'm going to get something to actually measure it.

By the way just out of curiosity what pinion are you using? It is a
mod 1 pinion correct? and for your rig a 12-14 tooth pinion should stay reasonably. cool fans are common enough for a stock 6s motor. You can buy a fan and heat sink from arena for the infraction that should fit no problem, or ask in the classifieds here for a wtb arrma stock 6s setup

By the way just out of curiosity what pinion are you using? It is a
mod 1 pinion correct? and for your rig a 12-14 tooth pinion should stay reasonably. cool fans are common enough for a stock 6s motor. You can buy a fan and heat sink from arena for the infraction that should fit no problem, or ask in the classifieds here for a wtb arrma stock 6s setup
It is the factory installed 12 tooth. I haven't yet tried the optional pinion that came in the box. I'll look for that fan. The outcast 6s exb already comes with a heat sink on it. I'm surprised the regular Kraton and others don't at least come with a heat sink from the factory.

By the way, completely unrelated, I wonder why ARRMA replacement parts are so much more expensive than Traxxas? I haven't had to replace anything major yet on any of the rigs, but I was watching one of the youtube reviewers (who was fairly pro ARRMA in the review) give the pros and cons against a Traxxas model, and he mentioned some comparison replacement parts costs and there was a really big difference, and he said generally speaking Traxxas parts are a lot less expensive. Maybe the aluminum chassis is just more expensive to make. But that wasn't the only part mentioned.

A lot of arrma stock parts are cheap through a breaker like https://jennysrc.com/ any 30-40mm fan should work if you have a heat sink already, I use a 40x40x28mm avc
A2048367-8C01-408F-951A-240DF7F615D8.jpeg

E8CCEA19-3B04-4682-A49F-4A2E93A5158E.jpeg

I wire it up to
separate small 2-3s 500mah lipo’s like that

+
hey could you make a video so we can hear it? It might just be the sound it should make 😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back