Big Rock Are hoons dboots 107s to heavy to have on front of my BR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King blitz

Don't just modify . customize .
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Vendetta
  5. Infraction 4x4
I bought 4 hoons dboots .all are the wide 107s .are they to heavy for my front ? Just wondering if they will mess up my diffs or Axel.and if so should I get the thinner size for front?
I bought 4 hoons dboots .all are the wide 107s .are they to heavy for my front ? Just wondering if they will mess up my diffs or Axel.and if so should I get the thinner size for front?
I have BR v3 3 s

If you wanted to run the 42/100s on the front you'd need to swap diff input & ring gear on one of your diffs because they have a different diameter. Otherwise you'd have different wheel speeds F/R. I can't imagine them being too heavy. Hoons are relatively light so you should be fine.

If you wanted to run the 42/100s on the front you'd need to swap diff input & ring gear on one of your diffs because they have a different diameter. Otherwise you'd have different wheel speeds F/R. I can't imagine them being too heavy. Hoons are relatively light so you should be fine.
Is it ok to run all 4 with 107s?

as said on a 4x4 rig the front and rear tires need to be the same diameter, or it will mess stuff up.
Also be sure your rig has the same hex sizes. I believe they’re 17mm hex’s
Yes I just installed 17mm hexes yesterday .I just wanted to know if I could use all four wheels of the hoons dboots 107s which are the wide ones .just wanted to make sure the stock 100 blx esc and stock motor and gearing would be ok .they are much heavier than the stock wheels and I don't want to burn stuff out

Yes I just installed 17mm hexes yesterday .I just wanted to know if I could use all four wheels of the hoons dboots 107s which are the wide ones .just wanted to make sure the stock 100 blx esc and stock motor and gearing would be ok .they are much heavier than the stock wheels and I don't want to burn stuff out
I've been running much larger and heavier tires than stock on my BRCC for a few months now in the south Carolina heat and haven't had a whisper of trouble from the motor or esc. Am I shortening the life of them? Probably. But it's how I want to use it, so it's worth it. You'll be totally fine running the Hoons.

I've been running much larger and heavier tires than stock on my BRCC for a few months now in the south Carolina heat and haven't had a whisper of trouble from the motor or esc. Am I shortening the life of them? Probably. But it's how I want to use it, so it's worth it. You'll be totally fine running the Hoons.
Thank u

@Pnutbutterpie and @Diem Turner hit the nail on the head. If you're running stock gearing, then you're overall drive ratio is going to be smaller with the hoons than stock tires.
Ok wait.now you confused me.i was told I could use hoons dboots 107s on all 4 wheels as long as they are all the same size.meaning not wide in rear and thin in front..which I'm not.so do I still need to change my gears? The 107s are not any wider than the stock Ragnarok.
Ok wait.now you confused me.i was told I could use hoons dboots 107s on all 4 wheels as long as they are all the same size.meaning not wide in rear and thin in front..which I'm not.so do I still need to change my gears? The 107s are not any wider than the stock Ragnarok.
I believe a few ☝️☝️said I would be fine.just doing speed runs..I got a temp gun I'll keep checking..and if I did need to change my diff gears then what size would I need? Thx

I believe a few ☝️☝️said I would be fine.just doing speed runs..I got a temp gun I'll keep checking..and if I did need to change my diff gears then what size would I need? Thx
Correct. You shouldn't hurt the drivetrain running the 107 hoons on all four corners. Because the 107 hoons are smaller than the stock Big Rock and Granite tires you're top speed will be slightly lower (thats the overall drive ratio). Running larger tires than stock would cause issues. Running smaller tires usually means less stress on the drivetrain.

If you want to compensate to try and get the same top speed as stock, you could use a 18t with the hoons. That would be about the same speed as the stock gearing on Big Rock and Granite tires.

I don't understand what's confusioning. ALL dBoots 107s are the same size. Also, when we're talking about size, we're talking about diameter as this effects final drive ratio (because a larger diameter wheel will go further for each full rotation than a smaller diameter wheel). Width of the tire does not.

For clarity the sizes of dBoots Hoons breaks down as follows:
42/100 = 42mm wide, 100mm diameter
53/107 = 53mm wide, 107mm diameter

As long as you're running the same wheel on all four corners, no changes to diff gearing need be made. FWIW, for speed running it is ill-advised to run different sized tires F/R for two reasons.
  1. You need different diff ratios making it more difficult to achieve the exact same wheel speed F/R.
  2. Different sized tires will balloon in different amounts which will cause the wheel speed differential to fluctuate during your run
These two factors are certain to upset the handling of the vehicle which will be less than ideal for speed running. Just run the same tires front and rear. Problem solved.

That's what I understood by you and others.but earlier was told not to use hoons 107s.thats why I was confused.its not that I didn't understand it's just I was getting two different advice.so again to clarify it's ok to use 4 107s correct?

That's what I understood by you and others.but earlier was told not to use hoons 107s.thats why I was confused.its not that I didn't understand it's just I was getting two different advice.so again to clarify it's ok to use 4 107s correct?
No one has said you shouldn't use the 107 hoons.

Everyone here has told you it would be fine.

Sorry should have said people in general.didnt mean everyone on here.but others besides here have said other wise .
Ok so I'll run 107s on all 4 and move to a 18 t pinnion thanks

Let me refrase what I meant.. meaning I did understand what you and others said that it's ok to use them ..
Correct. You shouldn't hurt the drivetrain running the 107 hoons on all four corners. Because the 107 hoons are smaller than the stock Big Rock and Granite tires you're top speed will be slightly lower (thats the overall drive ratio). Running larger tires than stock would cause issues. Running smaller tires usually means less stress on the drivetrain.

If you want to compensate to try and get the same top speed as stock, you could use a 18t with the hoons. That would be about the same speed as the stock gearing on Big Rock and Granite tires.
18 tooth pinnion or diff gears.im not familiar yet with what sizes are in the BRcc diffs.i did buy several sizes of pinnion gears to try out and I do have a 18 t

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back